Timber Rack for twin NASes

• My timber rack-shelf-thing, with no cutting.

600×250mm floating shelf 16mm, 3 of

1200×250mm floating shelf 16mm, 2 of

1200×30×18mm pine, 1 of

60mm 8g countersunk wood screws

20×25mm corner brackets with 5/8" 8g panhead screws for weight-bearing assistance

Top: BELLBIRD—offline XP (now semi-retired) former pseudo NAS, with AVerMedia hi-def capture card

Middle: KREEANNE—4TB (RAID10)

Bottom: KRINNAYE—4TB (mirror)

Floor: UPS (power for KREEANNE and burglar alarm)

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (AM3 socket), AMD Athlon II X4 640 quad CPU (3GHz), 2× 2GB mem

Boot: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Storage: 4TB (4× WD Red Plus 2TB, 128MB; in RAID10)

Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2 (FM2 socket), AMD A4 7300 dual-core APU (3.8 GHz), 2× 2GB mem

Boot: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Storage: 4TB (2× WD Red Plus 4TB, 128MB; in mirror)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not bad at all... and quite simple.

Unfortunately here in the US.. Lumber prices have been a bit ridiculous (although I've not checked them in the last couple months)... so it might be cheaper to just buy a rack.

During normal times though, your solution would be just as good and significantly cheaper.

• You're quite right. This little project was more expensive than the cheapest bolt-together rack. But with only 25¼ inches of space to work with, I couldn't find anything compact enough.

I'm glad you like it. Greetings from Australia.

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H (AM3 socket), AMD Athlon II X4 640 quad CPU (3GHz), 2× 2GB mem

Boot: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Storage: 4TB (4× WD Red Plus 2TB, 128MB; in RAID10)

Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2 (FM2 socket), AMD A4 7300 dual-core APU (3.8 GHz), 2× 2GB mem

Boot: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, Storage: 4TB (2× WD Red Plus 4TB, 128MB; in mirror)

• Honnestly I would keep everything away who might could caught fire.

I got a bunch of Network Case a long time before where my Router and so sit in.

I downgrade the Power Distribution Bar to some who is just 1-2HE hight to make room for the NAS Box.

Currently many Company shut down and there are some 19" 20HE - 40HE very cheap avaiable.

I recommend to looking into your local Page who other People sell something for cash.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Honnestly I would keep everything away who might could caught fire.

Better not put it in your house then : ) I ran six+ servers in a wood rack for years. I worked well. Between the case and cables, there is a of rubber/plastic that burns just as well as wood. Servers typically do not start on fire though. So, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Currently many Company shut down and there are some 19" 20HE - 40HE very cheap avaiable.

Not around me. People still want $500+ for a used rack. And I would still need rails or shelves of some kinds since my cases aren't rack mount. My wood rack was build from scrap wood but would've cost less than $50 with new wood.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What price you have to pay when the House is burning down?

I have a extinguisher rated for electronics in my server closet. My equipment is kept clean. Nothing is overloaded. But once again, my entire house is made out of wood. I am using metal shelving now but why would a wood rack be a bigger problem than the house itself? Have you had a computer start on fire to make you this paranoid? Being an industrial electrician for over 20 years has given me a very experienced opinion that nothing in my server closet is likely to start fire.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

8| ...

Wooden houses are more energy efficient. It takes less time to build them. They are cheaper. Maintenance is cheaper. And more ... Pig number 1 was not the smartest. The smartest was the pig number 2. The house of the pig number 2 collapsed when the wolf blew just because it was a children's story. In real life they don't fall off.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!