That was fun! Now to upgrade... Migration advice? Hardware RAID?

• Hey OMV community

My Setup

I built my first home NAS this year after inheriting an "old" laptop and trying to think of useful things to do with it. I also had a handful of old 2.5" drives, and always wanted to build a home NAS.

In installed OMV5 and put 4 drives into a USB enclosure and built a unionFS, and am sharing over the home network with SMB, with openVPN for remote access.

Using docker/portainer, I'm running qbittorrent, plex, pihole, and cloudcommander.

My Dilemma

It's been fun getting everything set up but I realize now I wish I'd setup my UnionFS with a RAID redundancy in case one of these dusty old drives fails.

Should I be worried about bottleneck (since I'm using external drives connected with USB)?

When I decide to move to a setup with RAID backup, how do I go about it, given there is now data on the drives?

I'm kind of scared of mass file copy/move operations as I've heard that's what can cause HDD's to fail, and my rig is riddled with older units :) Don't worry, the data on the server today is not crucial data, but at some point it would be nice to view the server as a somewhat higher level of safety for data storage than what it is now: a fun home kit with an expiry date...

Candy...

I also happened upon two LSI RAID controller cards which I can't use with my current setup (can you believe there are no open PCIe slots in this old laptop :D) - any advice on sourcing a suitable (budget friendly) machine/motherboard, and is hardware RAID preferred for OMV Home NAS, or is software RAID just as good?

I'd love to hear some thoughts - thanks for reading :)

• SnapRAID is what you need. Buy an external USB drive bigger than the biggest of your 2.5 drives and install the plugin. Plenty of info in this forum on setting it up.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!