Problem passing through ports to Docker Apps

• I've had a weird experiences with passing through ports ever since I started with OMV two years ago. I have OMV running on a rack mounted server that I acquired a while back. It has two network cards but only one is active. IP4 is active but IP6 is not.

So I've never been able to pass ports through to Docker apps. For example, I have recently started to dabble with Plex. In 30 seconds I can pass Plex through to a Plex app running on my personal windows PC but I can't do it to a version of Plex running in Docker on my server (an external port scanner verifies that it is not working when pointed at Plex on Docker). I had similar problems with other apps. For example, I followed Techno Dad's video on LetsEncrypt - same issue.

I also have VirtualBox running a windows instance on the same server. I have no problems passing ports through to various apps running in windows.

Any ideas? As you may have noticed I am running on V4. I should be upgrading to V5 this fall (it's tough to find a rainy day in which to do it).

• You will need to post your complete plex docker run statement, compose file, or docker create statement.

You should also examine the plex container log and post relevant sections.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You will need to post your complete plex docker run statement, compose file, or docker create statement.

You should also examine the plex container log and post relevant sections.

To be honest I've never taken the time to fully learn Docker. I've been doing everything through the UI. Is there a very simple Docker app that I could install in order to test this out? Or should I post the details of the Plex installation?

• You should be reading the documentation that comes with every high quality and well supported docker image. All the information needed to succeed is right there.

But you have to post something. There are no mind readers here. Saying that it doesn't work alone is not helpful.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are dealing with multiple issues here. First, you are using OMV4 which is eol, or “end of life” and no longer supported. And, most likely the TDL videos you are using are tied to that version as well.

I hate to say it but you will be fighting an up-hill battle trying to fix Plex while running OMV4. You really should back up a few steps amd get OMV5 up and running and then start a fresh install of Plex Docker using Portainer (your first Docker installed) or using the command line.

As for tutorials, here are a couple from an OMV5 foundation that should help you with Plex:

[How-To] Use docker-compose files in Portainer

[How-To] Install Plex Media Server (PMS) container using OMV and docker-compose

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• You should be reading the documentation that comes with every high quality and well supported docker image. All the information needed to succeed is right there.

But you have to post something. There are no mind readers here. Saying that it doesn't work alone is not helpful.

Well, yes - in my previous post I was trying to understand the best way to debug this. For all I know there is something in the network settings that could be an issue. This is not my area of expertise but I am happy to do anything that might help shed some light on this.

I have attached the current docker settings. The network is set to "Host".

Here is the image I am using: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex

• Thank you for the response. Yeah, I know that I need to brush up on all of this after I upgrade. I was just hoping that there might be a setting or something obvious that I might not know about. In my head I thought that maybe a couple of you would ask me to post a screen cap or two and if that doesn't figure it out then I would table it until after I upgrade.

• Your screencap shows only the environment variables which are a small fraction of the container configuration.

The entire configuration is needed to debug this along with the log file.

You pasted a link to the image, but have you read any of the material there, like the docker compose or docker cli files?

I am beginning to get the feeling that you set this up by parroting someone else's stuff you found on the web into Portainer. Having high expectations that this method works is not reasonable. The tiniest difference between the source's and your use case can completely break things. But this is rarely mentioned in YouTube videos.

Look at the image source provided docker cli file and correct it to agree with what you did to arrive at your configuration. Then post it.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!