[Solved] Can't log in to new fresh install with standard password openmediafault

• Hi All,

I had a raspberry PI4 running with OMV, was actually running good and fine.

Then I tried to get Plex plugin running with it in docker and portainer, couldn't get that to work. Somehow the information I found on the internet didn't work or I just did something wrong.

After this I wanted to start all over again with a new fresh install.

So burned raspberry lite OS on a USB drive and installed it.

Run a command to install OMV onto the PI

Then I ran into a problem, can't login to the web UI of OMV with the standard "admin" and "openmediavault"

It says wrong passwd or username, so tryd omv-firstaid and everything that I try doesn't work and gives faults.

Tryd several times to make a new install and even with other USB drives but nothing helps, I have the idea that something in the install proces isn't going right and that there are some files missing or something.

I do not have a lot of experience with shell commands and hope that you guys or girls are able to get me going.

• PeterVDM

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Can't log in to new fresh install with standard password öpenmediafault“ zu „Can't log in to new fresh install with standard password openmediafault“ geändert.
  • Ok, did some investigating and tried to follow the installation wiki.

What I now see is that the flasdrive says it has 264mb storrage instead of the 32GB size it is.

I guess something went wrong there and the minimum size of storrage is the problem of not able to login.

That is what I read somewhere that not enough storrage space could cause this problem.

Somebody any idea how I can recover the total storrage size of the USB drive?

• Ok, maybe should have done some research before making this post.

But was already trying to get this to work for 2 days and did a lot of searching to solve this.

A good night sleep and fresh look gave me another direction.

Got the USB drive resized and testing it with diskmgmt.msc

Before someone is answering, let me try and see if the problem is solved now.

If it is I will report here and probably come back on the subject of installing Plex in docker/portainer

• Ok, did all the above.

New install and stil get the wrong username password.

Now I'm out of options, hoping somebody can help me out

With omv-firstaid tried to change administrator password, this gives the following error:

Updating control panel administrator password. Please wait ...

ERROR: Failed to connect /var/lib/openmediavault/engined.sock: [Errno 13] Permission denied

• When you burn the Raspi Lite OS to the USB drive, the partitions are limited (by that image).

A "boot" partition with 256MB formatted in FAT32 and a 2nd partition "/" (root) with 2GB that you won't see on a Windows computer.

When you launch the OS for the 1st time, the boot procedure will expand the "/" (root) partition to the full size of the drive.

After the 2nd reboot, you'll be logged in as the default user "pi" and the password is "raspberry".

Run sudo raspi-config and review the settings for the "resize filesystem" (just to make sure that the partition was extended), "change default password" and "update".

After that, reboot again.

Now you're ready to run the OMV script to install it.

A good reading for you is the "OMV5 installation Guide for SBCs"

• Shoot, forgot to expand indeed. I will try again, let you know what the outcome is.

That guide is the one I followed the last time.

New install, expand filesystem. Installed as in the mentioned document and no change.

Still te same problem and fault

• Now for the I know how many times tried to install on a different USB drive but no luck.

Last resort is trying to install on an SD card and see if that changes anything.

Could it be that my PI is F****d for some reason?

Only got a spare Pi 2B to try on, for the rest of the 4 pi's they are all in use

• Output of that is:

For now I used a 4GB USB drive, so that explains the 4G of space. Normally I use 32GB

• Have you installed OMV already?!?

I think It takes more space than 2Gb after installed.

[EDIT]

Ok, I saw better and there's already the "folder2ram" and the "/var/lib/openmediavault/rrd" so it is installed.

It makes no sense that you can't log on to OMV with the defaults.

From where are you trying to log on to OMV?

• How much RAM does your raspberry have?

RAM shouldn't matter much here.

OMV can run even on the RPi 4 with 1Gb RAM

• Just on my home network like I did before with the running version on the same pi

• Offizieller Beitrag

RAM shouldn't matter much here.

OMV can run even on the RPi 4 with 1Gb RAM

I have no experience with OMV in raspberry PI, but looking at this https://openmediavault.readthe…en/5.x/prerequisites.html, maybe you need a USB stick larger than 4GB if your RAM is 8GB for example ...

• Ok, maybe chente has a point due to you're using only 4Gb drive with 4Gb RAM.

According to the docs:

Zitat

HDD:

• System Drive: min. 4 GiB capacity (but more than the capacity of the RAM)

If you are physically attached to the Pi, at the end of the boot does it say something like " To access OpenMediaVault, open a browser on the same Network and point it to: http:// and an IP"

Are you using that URL on a PC connected on the same LAN?

Maybe it sounds stupid but just to be sure.

Also, how is your Pi connected to the Router? Wi-Fi? Ethernet cable?

OR, can you try with the 32Gb USB stick:

• Only the last attempt was with the 4gb drive, all the ones before were with the 32gb drive.

Laptop connected to the same lan over wifi, pi connected with ethernet cable. All the same as before when omv did work. All this happend after new install and further no changes

• Okay, new attempt. Did a new USB bootloader install, new 32GB USB drive, new OS lite and OMV install.

Guess what no change, same result.

I'm kinda thinking the PI is F****d of some sort.

Output of sudo df -h on new 32GB usb drive below:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!