Device '/dev/dm-2' not found.

• Hi, I recently installed latest OMV on Debian buster using this guide. However I'm receiving the error message Device '/dev/dm-2' not found. when trying to view S.M.A.R.T -> Devices (also appears on Disks on first view, but not subsequent views)

I double checked the guide above and I'm sure I didn't overlook anything. Also tried searching the forums for this perticular issue, however any solutions I did find didn't seem relevant (?)

The error message in detail:

/dev/dm*

Code
    root@dunder:~# ls -l /dev/dm*                                                                                                                                                                                                                brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 0 Sep 17 09:32 /dev/dm-0                                                                                                                                                                                         brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 1 Sep 17 09:32 /dev/dm-1                                                                                                                                                                                         brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 2 Sep 17 09:32 /dev/dm-2                                                                                                                                                                                         brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 3 Sep 17 09:32 /dev/dm-3                                                                                                                                                                                         brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 4 Sep 17 09:32 /dev/dm-4                                                                                                                                                                                         root@dunder:~#

OMV Report: https://pastebin.mozilla.org/UttHuvSX

• joelkaberg

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • Any information how to reproduce this? An exact step-by-step instruction would be helpful.

Pretty simple really,

1. Install Debian Buster (netinst), default options all the way
    2. Follow this guide

Please post the output of the CLI command blkid or better go to the UI and download the report in the diagnostic section and attach it here or at the GitHub issue.

Report attached here :)

• Hello,

I got the same problems since I installed OMV5 as replacement for OMV4.

On my system, the noted devices are LV partitions with present LVM snapshots.

Given this LV partition with two present snapshots

Code
    ~# lvs | grep home
    export_home ldd owi-aos--- 128,00g
    export_home_2110100610_w1 ldd swi-aos--- 32,00g export_home 17,83
    export_home_2110150611_d1 ldd swi-aos--- 8,00g export_home 4,89

the following devices exist on the system. Some of them are the snapshots, some others kind of snapshot "helper" devices:

Code
    /dev/mapper# ls -l | grep home
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Okt 15 06:11 ldd-export_home -> ../dm-2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Okt 15 06:11 ldd-export_home_2110100610_w1 -> ../dm-4
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Okt 15 06:11 ldd-export_home_2110100610_w1-cow -> ../dm-3
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       8 Okt 15 06:11 ldd-export_home_2110150611_d1 -> ../dm-26
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       8 Okt 15 06:11 ldd-export_home_2110150611_d1-cow -> ../dm-25
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Okt 15 06:11 ldd-export_home-real -> ../dm-1

and the OMV webGUI fails when clicking S.M.A.R.T. with noticing arbitrarily one of these devices like f.i.

Code
    Device '/dev/dm-1' not found.

which happens to be the representation of /dev/mapper/ldd-export_home-real.

The workflow in the webGUI stops then. S.M.A.R.T. configuration doesn't work.

It seems that the function doesn't distinct hard, lv, snapshot and "helper" devices.

As a surprise, the problem exists since OMV5 only.

I didn't exist in my former OMV4 installation, where I could successfully configure and run S.M.A.R.T. checks on my hard disks with the same presence of snapshots as here.

Best regards

Robert

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!