Disk crashed, how to swap to a new drive (UnionFS)?

• One day I noticed that a lot of my media-files were gone. And when checking the SMART, I can see that one drive has got a red SMART-light. This is the self-test:

TLDR, there is a read failure.

I guess some parts of the disk is unreadable.

When looking on my specific disk in the file browser I can see that there are still files available, and the disk is not empty.

I am using UnionFS, how do I swap this disk out and transfer the files that are good from the bad disk?

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using UnionFS, how do I swap this disk out and transfer the files that are good from the bad disk?

If you are only using unionfs (not using snapraid), remove the damaged disk from unionfs, copy any data you can save to another disk, and add the new disk to unionfs. All of this can be done from the GUI with ease. Ask if you have doubts.

A word of advice, for a server you shouldn't use WD Green drives. They are desktop PC disks. For a server it is better to use server disks, prepared for intensive use 24/7. They will last longer and be more reliable. For example WD Red, or Seagate Ironwolf, or Toshiba N300, or ... and if you can avoid SMR-type disks, they better be CMR-type.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!