NAS DIY On OMV - Mediacenter Plex

• Dear OMV community,

I am actually thinking to build my 1st NAS DIY for mainly medias storage (Plex streaming using 4k transcoding HW acceleration and hdr tone mappings) + some day to day backups (images, Excel file ect). The configuration I have retained is :

- Asus B460-I plus mini ITX

- Intel I5 10600

- Fury X 2X 8Go DDR 4

- Seagate Ironwolf CMR 4x8To or 4x6To (in raid5)

- Samsung evo 250 Go NVME (for system boot. Can be a USB key to save M2 port if OMV support it without issues)

- Alimentation Corsair Cx 430

- Fan CPU Bequiet Pure Rock 2

- Fractal node 304

Initially, I wanted to go on Truenas... however... I noticed a loooot of posts from people having issues (Network chipset realtek not supported, Sata controllers of mobo not running well, system fails with RAM not in ECC). My conclusion is that Truenas is for professional Hardware servers and not for everyone's machine.

Therefore, as I am looking for a stable configuration, I am trying my luck with OMV that seems to be more user friendly.

What is your opinion on my Hardware selection ? (Overkill, not enough for Plex container in OMV)...

What do you think to go on OMV for the usage I mentioned (streaming through Plex, backup in raid5, nextcloud) ?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and feedback.

Alex

• My conclusion is that Truenas is for professional Hardware servers and not for everyone's machine

If the driver brings up the hardware, anything is for anything, it just depends on what else is talking to it (basically protocols).

It sounds like you want to transcode (mainly) so I'd suggest a fast GPU that can do that and anything with a PCIe 2.0+ x1 (you just need 1 lane for this like cryptominers). If you use a newer GPU, you can use mobo's back to PCIe 2.0 spec (1.0 is iffy and dependent on your 4k content). You could use a NAS for this in the same way you can put streamers on handlebars, but what you should be focusing on is the $$$ of that GPU :-/.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The B460 Chipsets are pretty new as I recall... (I tend to buy "last years" tech... It may be supported well, I just seem to remember reading issues on them)

USB installs are just fine. Key thing is to install OMV-extras, and then install the flash-memory plugin, as this will reduce the writing on the flash drive.

• I'd like to add that IMO it's the clients job to decode, so I don't enter the realm of transcoding. While that is my opinion, it can also be financially more cost effective to attach a capable client (Amazon Firestick etc...) than to pour money into a GPU that transcodes for you. After all, you can buy 10 Amazon Firesticks's (or whatever) for $400, while the prices of GPU's are extremely expensive now (and forever?).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd like to add that IMO it's the clients job to decode, so I don't enter the realm of transcoding. While that is my opinion, it can also be financially more cost effective to attach a capable client (Amazon Firestick etc...) than to pour money into a GPU that transcodes for you. After all, you can buy 10 Amazon Firesticks's (or whatever) for $400, while the prices of GPU's are extremely expensive now (and forever?).

I agree with this opinion and it is how I do it. My clients are capable of 4K playback, I don't need a powerful server for that job. The only situation that could justify it is playback on smartphones or tablets that do not have this ability. In any case, I don't see a need for a dedicated GPU, a recent processor with an integrated GPU could do the job if needed.

• olduser  chente  gromgsxr

Thanks for your feedback.

I am looking for an enough powerful CPU for 4k HDR color mapping on Plex and also to read media through a smartphone and tablet. Therefore the transcoding from the server will be needed.

Do you think OMV will support all the chipset and drivers of a 460 mobo series (LGA 1200) or should I turn to a previous version 360 series (LGA 1151) ?

I changed my mind to go on Truenas because of the chipset not supported. I would like to make sure OVM will run everything smoothly without hardware issues :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you think OMV will support all the chipset and drivers of a 460 mobo series (LGA 1200) or should I turn to a previous version 360 series (LGA 1151) ?

I have had for a few months a server with OMV mounted with:

- Motherboard: B460M DS3H V2

- CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G6400 (LGA 1200)

- 8 GB RAM

With this hardware I had no problem with OMV. I managed to activate Intel Quicksync in Handbrake and Jellyfin, and they worked perfectly. The G6400's internal GPU was doing 4K transcoding for me.

Here's how I did it: How to activate Intel Quick Sync in docker (Jellyfin, Handbrake,...)

• would like to make sure OVM will run everything smoothly without hardware issues

OMV will run nothing.

What you need to focus is if Debian will run it.

The OS is Debian and its kernel.

If it runs, and have the drivers, OMV will aknowledge the hardware

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!