OMV 5.5.11 removed after installing ntp

• Hello,

I installed openmediavault_5.5.11-amd64.iso from the official ISO on a VM, it worked fine for months until last week where I simply ran "apt install ntp" and apt fully removed OMV from my system after chrony was removed. Now running any apt command will try to uninstall dozens of related OMV packages.

There was no custom modification on the server.

Can someone help me understand what exactly happened and how can I prevent it happen in the future?

I have live traffic on this server and luckily NFS and SMB services are still up and functioning but I am afraid to do a reboot now and don't know how I can recover and reinstall without the risk of losing data.

Also, If I do reinstall the services (NFS,SMB,..) will have to be restarted and current connections will drop correct?

apt term log:

apt history log

Code
    Start-Date: 2021-09-14  16:34:16
    Commandline: apt install -y ntp
    Install: ntp:amd64 (1:4.2.8p12+dfsg-4), libopts25:amd64 (1:5.18.12-4, automatic)
    Remove: openmediavault-snmp:amd64 (5.0.2-1), chrony:amd64 (3.4-4+deb10u1), openmediavault:amd64 (5.6.2-1)
    End-Date: 2021-09-14  16:34:29

EIPP log

Code
    Request: EIPP 0.1
    Architecture: amd64
    Architectures: amd64
    Remove: openmediavault-snmp:amd64 chrony:amd64 openmediavault:amd64
    Install: ntp:amd64 libopts25:amd64
    Planner: internal

I also have this in my Syslog that might be relevant

Code
    Sep 24 04:40:01 xxx cron-apt: E: Repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease' changed its 'Suite' value from 'stable' to 'oldstable'
    Sep 24 04:40:01 xxx cron-apt: E: Repository 'http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease' changed its 'Suite' value from 'stable' to 'oldstable'
    Sep 24 04:40:01 xxx cron-apt: E: Repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease' changed its 'Suite' value from 'stable-updates' to 'oldstable-updates'
    • Offizieller Beitrag

until last week where I simply ran "apt install ntp" and somehow apt decided to fully remove OMV from my system

OMV didn't remove itself. You removed it. OMV has a dependency on chrony and when you installed ntp, it would remove chrony which removes OMV. The output of your apt command would have told you that it was going to remove OMV. You can try reinstalling OMV but hard to say if your database and settings are still there.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• DARAA

Hat den Titel des Themas von „OMV 5.5.11 fully removed itself“ zu „OMV 5.5.11 removed after installing ntp“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I should be more careful with the "-y" switch from now on.

I never use it except for scripting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is worth a shot adding to apt NeverAutoRemove. holding would prevent upgrades.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well I tried but I doubt my knowledge at this level.

To the op I made a proxmox snapshot of my omv and installed ntp. It said it removed

The following packages will be REMOVED:

chrony openmediavault openmediavault-snmp

The following NEW packages will be installed:

libopts25 ntp

Try removing and installing those and cross your fingers. It didn't work for me but I have some customizations so not 100% stock. Rolled back and all is fine again.

• I managed to get everything back to exactly how it was before, it was much less challenging than I imagined it would be.

I started by installing OMV, it installed fully but gave me an error in the post install script, after that, I did apt update and upgrade, this time it did not try to remove anything like before. then did "omv-confdbadm populate" just to be safe and install OMV another time, this time I didn't get the post-install script error and it completed successfully. I was able to reach the web GUI but had a socket error when trying to log in.

Then the only thing I had to do was to manually unmask openmediavault-engined. All my settings remained intact, storage paths were there and identified and services were running without even needing a restart.

During this entire operation, all my NFS clients stayed connected and were not interrupted at all. Amazing!

Thank you for your quick and effective support. The product and the community are truly amazing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!