Suggestion for a motherboard for my new NAS

• Hey guys. Can you suggest me a Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX motherboard with 4 SATA slots and integrated CPU? Preferably with a pasive cooling. How about ASRock J3455-ITX or ASRock J3455M? I was thinking about AsRock J1900M, but it has 2 SATA slots, so I would have to buy an expension card, which will or will not work, and it will cost money, so I'd be better off with a board which already has 4 SATA slots, to avoid headaches. I'm building an OMV server with 3 3.5" hard drives in ZFS, and an SSD for the system. The NAS will be used only for backups from mobile devices and as a multimedia storage. I don't need Plex transcoding or stuff like that, because I have 2 HTPCs which I use to play my content on my TVs in a local network. Any suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have 2 HTPCs which I use to play my content on my TVs in a local network. Any suggestions?

I suggest converting one of the HTPC into a server, and replace it with a Raspberry PI4 ... ;)

For the use that you want, any of the plates that you say will suit you.

• Have a look at my system specs below pretty much matches what you are looking for but it has a low cost Pentium Gold CPU not an integrated one.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• If power consumption is a concern, then a SBC with integrated CPU and SODIMM (low-voltage) RAM will probably do better than a more standard motherboard with a socketed CPU.

In that department the ASRock mini-ITX boards, such as the ones you mentioned sound like a good option.

Beginning of last year, when I was searching for hardware for my home OMV NAS, the best option I found with 4 SATA was the ASRock J5005-ITX (or alternatively the J4105-ITX, if I remember correctly). I didn't find many more similar alternatives at the time... AMD's embedded Ryzen R1000 and V1000 CPU series were out, but there weren't any motherboards yet available with them.

There are newer models now for those ASRock mini-ITX boards, with newer CPUs in that line.

One good thing about these J3xxx, J4xxx, J5xxx CPUs is that they're generally low power (TDP = 10W), which means they're probably easy to cool down passively.

At the time I was going to buy that ASRock J5005-ITX for my build, but I couldn't find any supplier that had it in stock.

I only really needed 3 SATA ports (OS SSD drive + 2 HDDs) and I had some old hardware still in good shape, so I ended up reusing an old laptop (mSATA for OS drive + 2 SATA ports for HDDs) for my NAS. It was supposed to be a temporary solution, but it's been running so well and consuming so little energy, that I'm still using it.

If it fails, I'll probably be looking at those ASRock mini-ITX boards again... Or search for some AMD embedded ryzen R1000 or V1000 based ones, if they're not too expensive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!