Setting up a network for 10GBase-T with DHСP on a 1G router

• Hi all!

I need help setting up the network adapters in my newly built DIY NAS.
    I have a rather superficial knowledge of networking technologies, and just getting started in Linux. (I probably wouldn't even have started if I hadn't assembled a NAS-server for myself).

I am going to use the server also for video editing purposes, so I need a fast network. There is 10GBase-T network adapter with two RJ45 ports installed on the motherboard.
    For my main computer, I also bought an external 10GBase-T Thunderbolt network adapter (Sonnet Solo 10G).
    I want to have the maximum speed between the main computer and the NAS. (I understand that the speed limit will be SATA3 600 MBytes/s and the Samba protocol, but I would like the faster is the better).

At the same time, the rest of my home network has a speed of 1G. It is built on a 1G-router that is connected to the internet. The router has a DHCP-server that distributes IP-addresses to all connected devices. I do not plan to change the router - it works fine.

Apparently, I need approximately the same network configuration as I depicted in the picture? The first 10GbE port in the NAS-server I connect to the router, the second port I connect to the main computer, right?

And one more important question. I've installed OMV5 on the NAS. There I saw the settings of the network adapter (System / Network / Interfaces). I have not yet figured out what Bridge, Bond, VLAN, Ethernet are, and how they differ.
    I would be very grateful if someone could tell me how to configure port in OMV that will connect to the main computer using the 10GbE protocol.

Thank you!

• alexey_leo

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • Did you get any help with this? I'm doing something similar but I use a switch in my network. DHCP router -> Switch -> OMV/My video desktop. I don't SMB for sharing due to the bad protocol instead, I use iSCSI for my video files.

Sorry, but I can't be of much help with your two network adapters since I only got one in my so far. I guess Bridge will be the correct one for you.

A newbie OMV user running:
    OMV 5.6.20-1 Usul
    Intel Core i5-4670K, 16Gb RAM, Some Hardrive in Raid 5 (2x1TB and 2x4TB).

• Regarding the OP:

What you need to do is to set up two distinct networks, one for "normal use" and one for "high speed file access".

• The easiest thing is not to make OMV a router, but connect OMV and main computer to two network cables.
    • The "normal use" network will be managed by your router via dhcp as it is now
    • The "high speed file access" network needs to be confgured manually (static IPs with different network mask on the OMV 10G network and main computer)
    • The main computer needs to be plugged into both networks. Shares for high speed must be mounted via the IP of the OMV Server on the high speed network.

Never tried this, but if you are going to sponsor me 10GB network equipment I will definitly do it :)

If you are not into networking, the easier solution is to buy a small 10GB / 1GB switch (like Netgear GS110MX) and put this between OMV and your other switch. This will give you one 10GB port for your main computer.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Never tried this, but if you are going to sponsor me 10GB network equipment I will definitly do it :)

I also offer myself for this experiment under the same conditions. We can compare results with different hardware.

• +1 for Netgear GS110MX (8 x 1Gb ports + 2 x 10Gb ports).
    Plug your PC and the NAS on the two 10Gb ports with RJ45 Cat6 cable, the other devices and your router on the 1 Gb ports.

I think that it's the simpliest and best solution for your problem. if you have the money to buy one (near 170/180€ here)

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups