How to stop logging about not mounted disk?

• Sometimes I would like to attach an external drive to my omv installation - but sometimes not. So it is a completely OK state if one disk is missing,

Unfortunately omv keeps spamming the syslog with messages about that disk missing:

Oct 3 17:39:32 omv monit[974]: Lookup for '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-MAX' filesystem failed -- not found in /proc/self/mounts

Oct 3 17:39:32 omv monit[974]: Filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-MAX' not mounted

Oct 3 17:39:32 omv monit[974]: 'filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-label-MAX' unable to read filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-MAX' state

Oct 3 17:39:32 omv monit[974]: 'filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-label-MAX' trying to restart

Oct 3 17:39:32 omv monit[974]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-MAX' status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-MAX is not a mountpoint

How can i disable that? It is ok to complain about missing disks on startup or explicitely when users ask for it, but writing that over and over again to the logs makes no sense - can we have a way to disable that? Thanks!

• I now manually commented out a few lines in /etc/monit/conf.d/openmediavault-filesystem.conf

However, I believe this is not a good solution and probably will be overwritten with the next salt configuration run - but I do not know where that lines about a not existing disk came from. What is writing to that file?

What is a better way to avoid spamming syslog about not existing filesystems?

• ... So it is a completely OK state if one disk is missing,

No it is not. You gettin that error due to misusage by not unmounting the device.

Commenting out the lines in etc/monit/conf.d/openmediavault-filesystem.conf is not a good solution and so too, nothing else what silences the error messages would be a good solution but only a very bad hack of disabling an important system message that tries to tell you something.

• I have a simillar "problem" with my setup. I have two backup disks scheduled for weekly rsync tasks, and both are under samba shares. I am connecting these disks manually to my OMV machine only for backup purposes.

Because of that I have a lot Syslog and Demon logs - 36 entries in one minute.

Maybe there is some safe wat to unmount this kind of disk in the system without disabling all sharing points?

• I have a simillar "problem" with my setup. I have two backup disks scheduled for weekly rsync tasks, and both are under samba shares. I am connecting these disks manually to my OMV machine only for backup purposes.

Because of that I have a lot Syslog and Demon logs - 36 entries in one minute.

Maybe there is some safe wat to unmount this kind of disk in the system without disabling all sharing points?

No there isn't. The usage of temporarily added drives for services is very uncommon. This is simply not how a server is supposed to work. So if you insist in doing it this way, you gonna have to disable shares and unmount manually. Of course you could just program it yourself but this is not going to be easy.

But again, error messages are not a problem. A problem is misusage by disconnecting mounted drives. The error messages is just your server telling you that sth bad happened.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a simillar "problem" with my setup. I have two backup disks scheduled for weekly rsync tasks, and both are under samba shares. I am connecting these disks manually to my OMV machine only for backup purposes.

If these drives are USB drives, you can use the USB backup plugin. It is made for this kind of usage.

Once it is configured, this is the workflow:

• manually connect the drive using USB
    • the drive is automatically mounted
    • the rsync jobs are executed
    • the drive is unmounted
    • you can get an email once it is completed
    • disconnect the drive
  • If these drives are USB drives, you can use the USB backup plugin. It is made for this kind of usage.

Once it is configured, this is the workflow:

• manually connect the drive using USB
    • the drive is automatically mounted
    • the rsync jobs are executed
    • the drive is unmounted
    • you can get an email once it is completed
    • disconnect the drive

Sounds promising :) I will try this method today and will go back to you with the results. Thanks :)

macom is there any log for these jobs? In rsync logs I believe? Looks like it is working correctly. So It should start automatically just after plugging in the drive(s)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

macom is there any log for these jobs?

Only if you disable the quite option. With quite enabled only errors will be logged.

So It should start automatically just after plugging in the drive(s)?

Yes. I enabled the "send email" option. So I get informed once the job is completed.

• Only if you disable the quite option. With quite enabled only errors will be logged.

Yes. I enabled the "send email" option. So I get informed once the job is completed

Sounds promising :) I will try this method today and will go back to you with the results. Thanks :)

macom is there any log for these jobs? In rsync logs I believe? Looks like it is working correctly. So It should start automatically just after plugging in the drive(s)?

Dear macom , I have a little additional question to you about backups. If I have an external USB drive for backing up my OMV system drive (which contains system partition, partition for docker/portainer configuration files and linux-swap partition) should I use built-in backup solution for OMV partition or can I use method with usb backup plugin which you described? Are these methods the same and system partition can be restored in both cases?

• Offizieller Beitrag

For system backup you need to use the backup plugin. But it is not easy to restore. Make sure you try the restore process.

How to restore from an omv-backup?

How to restore OMV 4.X from backup-plugin to system SSD

As alternative make a clone/image of your OS drive. E.g. with usbimager for USB stick and SD cards, or clonezilla for hdd/ssd

• For system backup you need to use the backup plugin. But it is not easy to restore. Make sure you try the restore process.

How to restore from an omv-backup?

How to restore OMV 4.X from backup-plugin to system SSD

As alternative make a clone/image of your OS drive. E.g. with usbimager for USB stick and SD cards, or clonezilla for hdd/ssd

Better have something than nothing ;) I was using build in backup solution but backup partition was placed on the same disk as system partition (I know this was stupid solution...). Now I would like to switch to an external drive but not have to worry about "not mounted" loggs, that is why I was thinking about external usb backup plugin.

Cloning the drive should be safest solution but probably there is no option to make it differential or incremental, just full copy for each backup run, right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Cloning the drive should be safest solution but probably there is no option to make it differential or incremental, just full copy for each backup run, right?

Yep, I think so. But the OS drive is quite small.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!