Notify pending updates in docker from OMV notifications

• I just discovered a project called DIUN, which reports if there are pending updates to containers.

I always try to use containers provided by top level developers (when possible), like linuxserver. One of linuxserver's recommendations is always to update manually, not to use automatic updaters like Watchtower or others. The downside of this is that you have to be aware of whether the containers have updates.

Perhaps it would be possible to integrate DIUN as a service in OMV and in the notification system, so that you receive an email when there is a pending update of a container.

From what I see in the DIUN documentation it can be installed as a service using systemd on debian.

https://crazymax.dev/diun/install/linux-service/

I am aware that what I propose is more work for ryecoaaron, and it is not the best time ...

Perhaps there is a simple way to implement this in the CLI for now, until OMV 6 is stable and there is less work to be done. I do not feel qualified to try. Is it possible for someone to clear the way a bit?

This application can also be installed on docker, if there is no other way it would be the solution. But I think it is cleaner to integrate it into the OMV notification system if possible.

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

• It looks like if you run it in docker, it could just send an email. Not sure it would need to be integrated into OMV's notification system since it is just sending emails too.

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes, I have read that. It is capable of sending emails. I suppose that we would have to find a way for the mail to be sent by OMV, not DIUN. The fact of integrating it into the OMV notification system I think would be beneficial for all users in general (the vast majority use docker). It would be an automatic system notification just like the others. (You can deactivate it if you do not want to receive it).

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

• But there is nothing magical about OMV's email system. It is just using cron's native ability or the mailx/sendmail command. The container can do that just as easily. Docker is not integrated into OMV at all and I'm not even sure what would need to be integrated that doesn't just take us back to the old docker plugin. Can watchtower check for updates but not update and email the user?

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You can run Watchtower with the -m, --monitor-only flag to monitor for changes only. If you have email notifications enabled, you'll get emails about available updates.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 16GB ECC RAM.

• Yes, it is a solution. I did not know it. I will do so.

I think integrating it into OMV would make things easier for newbies anyway. There is no need to install or configure anything, when omv-extras and docker are installed, the service is automatically activated and you have notifications to update the docker you install.

I guess it is an unnecessary improvement.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!