Can't apply changes in OMV configuration anymore !

• Whenever I apply a change in configuration with the GUI (whatever the change), OMV hangs and after a short while, OMV restarts.

OMV is stable, been running 24/7 for mounts and I keep it updated.

I can't really link this problem with a recent update or any particular change in configuration.

I have look at the log but I have not been able to find any clue... but to be honest, the clue might be there but I can't see it.

After OMV restarts, it works just fine and I can revert the change without any problem.

Any hints to diagnose this problem would be very helpful.

================================================================================

= openmediavault information

Release: 5.6.16-1

Codename: Usul

================================================================================

= System information

Linux 4.4.213-rk3399 #2 SMP Wed Sep 8 10:53:31 UTC 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux

• Spirare

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • Spirare

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Comminucation error after applying changes...OMV restarts“ zu „Can't apply changes in OMV configuration anymore !“ geändert.
  • Switching Kernel seems to be a bit extreme considering that nothing points to this as being the problem.

I am trying to understand first why the nanopim4v2 restart when OMV is applying configuration changes... hence my question about what to look for in which log.

• Don't know the NanoPi but it looks like a normal Raspberry PI.

You don't say how you have your HDDs connected but I assume it's via USB.

Do you have enough power on the SBC?

On a RPi (with RaspiOS), it's possible to check if the voltage is suffering with:

cat /var/log/syslog | grep voltage

See if it shows anything.

Again, this will show on the Pi, if you have under-voltage issues.

Maybe it will also show on the NanoPi (although it's a different OS)

One other question: Is your OS a Desktop or Lite version?

• OMV is running on Armbian Buster as per the above instructions.

Yes, it's on the 'light' Buster without Desktop.

Again, it has been running for months fine...very stable.

The NanoPiM4V2 has a Satat Hat on it that can accommodate 4x Sata HDD...additionally the main NanoPiM4V2 board its has 4x USB3 ports...the one I am referring to as when adding more than one USB-HDD on this, I get the problem applying changes.

The Sata Hat has 12v power connection that powers the HDD but also the NanoPiM4V2... I use a quality 12v / 20Amp regulated power supply to power the whole system so I don't think the problem could be coming from this.

However, your point prompts me to investigate the NanoPiM4V2 USB3 ports specifications as how much power they can provide...strangely, the 2 USB/HDD 2.5 inches are working fine..the only problem is when I 'apply' OMV changes...which raises the question once again: "What that script is doing that can be linked to the NanoPiM4V2 to restart?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If everything has been working for months, the first thing that comes to mind is the SD-card. Even good cards can fail to write one block location. I recommended that users backup their card. If you did that, swap the spare in.

I can't help you at this time (COVID). Maybe in a few days to a week.

I don't have a NanoPiM4V2. Maybe some who has one could help you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a first version NanoPi M4 with a SATA hat, but I have never run any drives from the USB. Is there any way you could externally power those 2 HHD’s and see if it’s a power issue?

BTW: This is an excellent SBC machine. It does become a little pricey when you add the heat sync, 4-port SATA hat, and dedicated 12V. power supply. It is my backup server and has been running continuously for 2 years.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Agricola ()

• I have a first version NanoPi M4 with a SATA hat, but I have never run any drives from the USB. Is there any way you could externally power those 2 HHD’s and see if it’s a power issue?

BTW: This is an excellent SBC machine. It does become a little pricey when you add the heat sync, 4-port SATA hat, and dedicated 12V. power supply. It is my backup server and has been running continuously for 2 years.

Great point...Externally powering HDD testing is underway ...I will report back in a few days.

BTW: I agree, find that little SBC very solid...OMV5 is rock stable on it...running 24/7 as a 8Tb media server with 4x2Tb HDD on the SataHat....personally, I am satisfied (or if you prefer, worth the extra cost). The Sata controller runs a bit warm, so just to be safe, I added a micro fan driven at min low speed by the mainboard... the HDD are also mounded in a way to allow plenty of natural air convection. The HDD on the USB3 ports of the mainboard is used to back up my personal data with Rsyn and repository for OS image backup for other devices running on my network. I am presently experimenting BorgBackup to replace Rsyn. Lastly, this SBC has plenty of capacity left...

• Externally powering the HDD connected to the native USB ports of the NanoPiM4V2 has solved the problem. I now have 3x, 2.5 inches form external spinning HDD connected to the USB ports and 4x on the Sata hat and OMV runs smoothly.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!