Photo station for OMV?

• Hi,

I am currently using a Synology NAS for all my media including photo's. The NAS is getting pretty old and I am looking for other options. That is how I got to OMV.

The last couple of weeks I have been running OMV and really love to play around with it. I've managed to run all software, that I run on my Synology, on OMV now. That is great.

However, one thing is still holding me back. My photo collection. On the Synology I could use my own folder structure for all my photo's. That is the way I like it. I would like to keep it that way too. So I have been testing several photo library systems for OMV now, but they all seem to create their own data structure. Some even throw all pictures in one folder, which makes a pretty big mess of all the pictures.

So far I have tested:
    - ownphotos
    - photoshow

- lychee
    - piwigo

So, is there any photo software available for OMV that keeps the folder structure in takt, like Photo Station does on the Synology NAS?
    Hopefully you guys have some options for me.

• Jellyfin or Plex are better known for movie and tv show management but they both serve up photos quite well too.

Easy data backup: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, Wetty, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1): backups using Rsync and Rsnapshot - Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole - hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and VirtualBox: Testing and playing - Mac user converting to Linux, Debian 10 KDE.

• I use photoshow in a docker too, and for same reason ( respect folder structure)

• for some reason I can't get it to work properly. I will have another look then

In case it helps, here's a stack that worked for me yesterday. By the way, I liked photoshow.

And here are instructions to customize the stack, if you've never done it before. [How to] Prepare OMV to install docker applications (beginners)

It is a simple stack. Ask what you don't understand.

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

• Thanks. I have it up and running. I had an issue with my user account before it seems. :-) Got it working all well now. :-)

• i was in the same boat and tested nearly every open source photo app to replace PhotoStation. To my surprise all open source solution lack at some point regarding my requirements. So i've now installed a XPenelogy VM in OMV and use DSM 6.x with PhotoStation without using Synology Hardware

• So i've now installed a XPenelogy VM in OMV and use DSM 6.x with PhotoStation without using Synology Hardware

I would be careful with xpenology, it would not open services to the internet. With more reason if it is not DSM 7, in time DSM 6 will be EOL.

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

• i was in the same boat and tested nearly every open source photo app to replace PhotoStation. To my surprise all open source solution lack at some point regarding my requirements. So i've now installed a XPenelogy VM in OMV and use DSM 6.x with PhotoStation without using Synology Hardware

XPENOLOGY ? I moved to OMV to keep my Karma clean !!! .....:):):)

• Hi there,

choosing a more or less 1:1 replacement for PhotoStation is for me a daunting and yet still unfinished task ... I also looked at the XPENOLOGY solution but then I decided that I am not brave enough for this task.

So I want two add two more products I have tested and which might be of interest:

PiGallery 2: a self-hosted directory-first photo gallery website which works x86 and Raspberry Pi , see http://bpatrik.github.io/pigallery2/ and https://github.com/bpatrik/pigallery2 . It is actively maintained and might be an replacement for PhotoShow.

PhotoPrism: an AI-powered app for browsing, organizing & sharing your photo collection. see https://photoprism.app/ and https://github.com/photoprism/photoprism . Photoprism will, depending on the settings you decide, also respect and work with a given directory structure.

OpenMediaVault 5.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 5.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!