Can't boot into Clonezilla via omv-extras interface: bonded network the problem?

• I'm running 5.6.16-1 headless and have done and apt-get update and upgrade. I have OMV-Extras installed. I click on OMV-Extras->Kernel and hit "Install Clonezilla" followed by pressing the start button. This succeeds and tells me that it has placed the ISO here: "/boot/clonezilla-live-2.6.0-37-amd64.iso". Great. I hit "Close". I then click the "Reboot to Clonezilla Once" button and press "start". It outputs this:

Configuring grub to boot once from Clonezilla iso... 5

Done.

I reboot the system via the web GUI. My machine has a static IP. Also this machine only has OMV installed on it, no other operating systems. After giving it some time, I try and ssh into said static IP but there's no connection. It's not pingable. It's actually not even on the network: when I look at my firewall to see whether or not the machine has connected, it says it's offline. If I reboot, I can once again log in to OMV as normal.

Does this have to do with the fact that I'm using a bonded connection? Anyway, not really sure what to look for to try and diagnose the problem. Thanks in advance.

• Also this machine only has OMV installed on it, no other operating systems

Not an answer to your issue but just a remark:

OMV is NOT an Operating System.

Your server is running Debian OS with OMV software, 😉

• Did you check in your router if the server has been assigned a different IP.

I did. There's nothing online for that subnet. I've got both ethernet ports MAC addresses assigned to a static IP. I suppose I could try unplugging one of the cables and just connecting it to another port (which would put it on a different subnet) on my router. Just for completeness I looked at all the IPs given out by the router, and none were for the OMV box.

• OK just tried: it's totally the bonded connection that's the issue. BTW I use the IP to access it not hostname. Anyway, I assigned the MAC address of one of the 2 ethernet ports to a static IP on a different subnet, unplugged the other cable and was able to connect via ssh into the box.

• Does this have to do with the fact that I'm using a bonded connection?

Yes. It is just trying to configure a simple, single network adapter using dhcp. If you have a more complicated setup, you will need something else. If you have a bonded connection, you probably should have ilo/ipmi/whatever.

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes. It is just trying to configure a simple, single network adapter using dhcp. If you have a more complicated setup, you will need something else. If you have a bonded connection, you probably should have ilo/ipmi/whatever.

Thanks. Since this box hardly ever changes (it's just my Plex media server, and the content is stored on a NAS not the box itself), I won't need to be making frequent backups so I'll just deal with the very minor cable swapping fix. Besides, it gets me to run up and down the stairs so I get some exercise.

• it's just my Plex media server

Why do you have bonded network setup for a plex server?

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why do you have bonded network setup for a plex server?

Felt like learning something new. I originally made my NAS bonded and then had unused ports left on my pfsense box, so figured I'd just try extending it to OMV since it's my old computer and happens to have 2 ethernet ports on it. Was a fun project, and now I know a bit more.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!