New OMV install on old existing NAS - precautions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been able to boot my NAS using an old USB install of OMV 3 and am now backing it up

:thumbup:

I executed the 2 commands you noted; results below

Well the output, if that is from OMV3 is fine, the filesystem is EXT4

The above therefore should not have been a problem for OMV5, the array itself was found but the filesystem was not, which lead to believe that a zfs signature may have been the problem

This came up a few times when users were upgrading from one version to another and the filesystem would not display and therefore not mount. If memory serves me correctly there was a change in debian with mdadm and it was that that was causing the issue. Going back to your link, this post in particular highlights the issue, a zfs signature on the array when zfs had never been used, this is correctable by removing the zfs signature/s (you remove one another appears). You go through a cycle of wash, rinse, repeat until all the zfs signatures have been removed.

• Going back to your link, this post in particular highlights the issue, a zfs signature on the array when zfs had never been used, this is correctable by removing the zfs signature/s (you remove one another appears). You go through a cycle of wash, rinse, repeat until all the zfs signatures have been removed.

No idea what a zfs signature is, but I think I understand what is needed! I'll wait until my backup is done (many many hours from now) and will try what you've suggested. Many thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now I'd like to "un-RAID" my drives - is this possible without formatting them

This the downside, short answer, NO, as the drives will hold the signature from the previous array.

AFAIK the only way to do this is in reverse.

Remove any SMB shares -> must do!!

Remove shared folders you have set up -> must do!!

Raid Management, select the raid, from the menu, click remove, select one of the drives and click OK this will remove the drive from the array.

File Systems, select the raid and click Unmount on the menu

Back to Raid Management, select the array and click delete on the menu, this will remove the array

It maybe possible to unmount the array then delete the array in raid management, which would do the same as my long way above, I've never tried it.

Now you have 2 drives

Storage -> Disks, select each drive in turn and click wipe on the menu, select short, wait for each to complete before adding a file system (format) on each drive

Now you have two formatted drives to create your shares on, or one for data and one for an rsync backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Personally, when I broke away from RAID 1 and switched to just using rsync... rather than going to that headache... I'd been planning a new install anyway. I backed up my RAID, reinstalled OMV, then just formatted the two disks in the "Disks" section by wiping them. Then gave them each a file system.

Just my opinion, but you're practically going to have to set up everything again anyway (ie, nuking all your shares, nuking your services, etc.).. so it was honestly easier to just start over... might as well just start w/ a clean install.

• Offizieller Beitrag

rather than going to that headache

I would do the same, it's just as quick, the time consumption is getting the data back, I did a clean install of 5 and by the end of day 2 all the data was back, and any dockers used were set up and configured

• Sorry, more issues and questions.

- Removed all SMB shares.

- Tried to remove the 2 shared folders. I removed 1, but the other still says referenced so cannot.

- Deleted my 1 user. Still can't remove shared folder.

- Quick wiped the 2 disks anyway.

- Can't delete the RAID

- Can't delete the filesystem

- Tried to disable SMB - I get an Internal Server Error when saving:

Code
    {"response":null,"error":{"code":0,"message":"The property 'localmaster' does not exist in the model 'conf.service.smb'.","trace":"OMV\\AssertException: The property 'localmaster' does not exist in the model 'conf.service.smb'. in \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/config\/configobject.inc:71\nStack trace:\n#0 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/config\/configobject.inc(187): OMV\\Config\\ConfigObject->assertExists('localmaster')\n#1 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/config\/configobject.inc(272): OMV\\Config\\ConfigObject->set('localmaster', true, true)\n#2 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/config\/configobject.inc(234): OMV\\Config\\ConfigObject->setFlatAssoc(Array, true, false)\n#3 \/usr\/share\/openmediavault\/engined\/rpc\/smb.inc(81): OMV\\Config\\ConfigObject->setAssoc(Array)\n#4 [internal function]: Engined\\Rpc\\Smb->setSettings(Array, Array)\n#5 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#6 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/rpc.inc(86): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setSettings', Array, Array)\n#7 \/usr\/sbin\/omv-engined(537): OMV\\Rpc\\Rpc::call('SMB', 'setSettings', Array, Array, 1)\n#8 {main}"}}

- Rebooted - no diff.

Any ideas?

• Update. I edited fstab and config.xml to remove the remaining fileshare and file system. Found that I could then delete the file system, and then delete the RAID. I'm now in the process of creating 2 new file systems.

Looks like it's all good now. I hope...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!