New OMV install on old existing NAS - precautions?

• Hi. My external USB drive I was running an old OMV install from has died. I'm now installing an ISA-SATA card and SSD to run OMV from instead. I expect my existing data drives (2 x 3TB RAID 1) will be fine but just want to check (it's been a few years since I did the install).

1. Is there anything I need to be aware of to avoid losing or corrupting my existing data?

2. I'd like to partition my SSD (256GB) to use for OMV and data - is there a guide for this someone can point me to please, or provide some pointers?

Thanks, Niall.

• ISA sounds like the Stone Age. The last time I heard of ISA was in the 90s.

to 1: First, of course, backup, and second, pull the data drives off when you install. When you add the data drives then, do not format.

to 2: There is a plugin called "sharerootfs", so you can also use the SSD for the data. Don't forget the backup

• Hi again. I've successfully installed OMV5 on my new SSD and my next issue is adding my old storage drives - two x 3TB previously configured in a RAID.

The 2 drives are listed in Storage/Disks, and I was surprised to see the old RAID listed under RAID Management.

I tried creating a new storage system and chose my RAID as the device and was warned it would wipe my disks. I stopped at this point!

So I thought I could just mount the old RAID, but that option is not enabled.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Go to Filesystems in the menu, do you see your RAID filesystem there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, it's not listed in Filesystems.

Did you install OMV 5 or OMV 6?

Do you know what filesystem the RAID is?.. I don't use RAID so I'm not going to go to far into this at the risk of bricking something... was hoping it just needed mounted... geaves is one of the local "raid-ologists".. so he may have some input.

• I installed OMV5. I don't know what the file system is, and I'm not sure how to find out (it doesn't tell me in Storage/Disks).

Happy to get rid of RAID, having just read about using rsync instead. What ever will work without losing my existing data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed OMV5. I don't know what the file system is, and I'm not sure how to find out (it doesn't tell me in Storage/Disks).

Happy to get rid of RAID, having just read about using rsync instead. What ever will work without losing my existing data.

That's what I'm not sure on, how to do this w/o losing data.

Do you have SSH access?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are the RAID drives.. are they external USB or internal drives running on a sata card or onboard sata ports?

Old versions of OMV, supported having USB drives in RAID (since you mentioned an old OMV version), however support for that was dropped as it caused constant problems.

• Are the RAID drives.. are they external USB or internal drives running on a sata card or onboard sata ports?

Old versions of OMV, supported having USB drives in RAID (since you mentioned an old OMV version), however support for that was dropped as it caused constant problems.

They are internal drives on onboard SATA ports.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They are internal drives on onboard SATA ports.

Yeah, assuming you created the RAID w/ the old OMV.. I'm not sure why you can't just mount it. And you're sure you installed OMV 5, right? (OMV 6 mounts existing filesystems just a tad differently)

• Yep, OMV 5.

However, I originally installed OMV 6, but it behaved badly! I did see my 2 data drives initially, and then I couldn't see them along with many of the other screens - i.e. the menu options didn't display anything. I didn't mount the drives or try to create a new file system with them - hopefully OMV 6 didn't screw them!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, OMV 5.

However, I originally installed OMV 6, but it behaved badly! I did see my 2 data drives initially, and then I couldn't see them along with many of the other screens - i.e. the menu options didn't display anything. I didn't mount the drives or try to create a new file system with them - hopefully OMV 6 didn't screw them!

I don't think so..

Just to be on the safe side and rule out some weird cache issue (since you said you had a previous OMV version, and then tried 6, and are now back at 5)... I'm assuming all these had the same web address.

Open a Browser in Incognito/Privacy mode, log in to OMV, and check file systems, and see if your raid1 is there and unmounted.

You really need to get a proper backup if this is your only guard against losing data. RAID 1 is the absolute worst idea for a backup, but people keep thinking that's what it is.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd wait for geaves or someone to chime in... that is an awful old post. Since you don't seem to have your data backed up anywhere else (which again, is a freaking terrible idea)... I wouldn't risk just monkeying around with this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried creating a new storage system and chose my RAID as the device and was warned it would wipe my disks. I stopped at this point!

This has me concerned as I assume you mean file system, you would have been unable to create a new array as there would have no drives to select.

You need to ssh into OMV as root and run the following two commands copy and paste the output using </> on the menu.

cat /proc/mdstat

blkid

• Hi geaves. Yes, sorry, I mean file system (my work involves software for early baggage storage systems at Airports and got mixed up!). Yes, there were no drives to select.

I've been able to boot my NAS using an old USB install of OMV 3 and am now backing it up.

I executed the 2 commands you noted; results below.

Many thanks, Niall.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!