What would it take to install Matrix / Synapse on OMV?

• Matrix + Element is the most popular selfhostable videochat & quick filesharing app out there, especially because Element is on all platforms and can be easily understood by normies.

But I fear it may be a headache or even impossible to get it to work on OMV. Has anyone tried? Or does anyone have enough xp in synapse and omv to chime in?

You could probably easily pull the synapse docker and install in OMV. But then I imagine it's not easy to set it up to communicate with the outside world, and you also somehow got to get it to talk to some external postgre sql docker stored on a large external drive/share. Since many people have tried to do the same with Nextclound on OMV and failed, I'm a bit reluctant here...

Alternatively, what non-OMV systems are best for synapse? :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since many people have tried to do the same with Nextclound on OMV and failed, I'm a bit reluctant here...

What makes you think that?

I guess it shouldn't be a problem to configure the system behind a proxy. A bigger problem may be the inability to share subdomains. It seems that security is not well implemented yet, forcing the server to be dedicated almost exclusively.

Do you think that many people will stop using the services that they have configured with domains on their server to install this?

It doesn't seem very reasonable to stop using nextcloud to install a VOIP service.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why will it work better on Ubuntu? Omv is Debian. Is the same. If your only purpose is to install this, you can do it with OMV (debian) or with ubuntu. Is the same.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had twake (I think it is similar to matrix) installed in docker alongside nextcloud. No issue.

Nextcoud includes also an app for Videochat, has filesharing as its core and is multi platform.

Just because some people had issue it does not mean nextcloud does not work on docker. Most people will not post here if everything works well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just because some people had issue it does not mean nextcloud does not work on docker. Most people will not post here if everything works well.

I have been running (with docker-compose) Nextcloud/Swag/MariaDB/Duckdns since v.16 using macom ’s How-To. I am now running v.22. To make it work you need to stay close to the How-To. You cannot be “creative”.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• You could probably easily pull the synapse docker and install in OMV.

It's only a matter of running a "docker run".

Following the instructions on hub.docker, you first generate the config and after you run the container.

You can even simplify it by running a docker-compose:

docker-compose run --rm -e SYNAPSE_SERVER_NAME=my.matrix.host -e SYNAPSE_REPORT_STATS=yes synapse generate

So, yes, it's only a matter of you following instructions.

But then I imagine it's not easy to set it up to communicate with the outside world,

Run it along with linuxserver/SWAG for reverse-proxy and you'll be able to access Synapse from WAN with https.

SWAG already has a synapse.subdomain.conf.sample ready for those who need it.

and you also somehow got to get it to talk to some external postgre sql docker stored on a large external drive/share.

In that case, you'll also have to put in the mix, a postgres container to serve Synapse.

Again, you'll need to find a suitable container and add it to the stack and on the same network (preferably) to communicate without hassle.

Since many people have tried to do the same with Nextclound on OMV and failed,

This here statement is based on????

The type of STACK that you want already exists on this Forum for Nextcloud and I trust it provides all that you're looking for and more.

All it takes is a good Hardware if you have high demands. If you don't, run it on a SBC like lots of people here.

Alternatively, what non-OMV systems are best for synapse?

That one should be asked on Synapse forum (if there ever was one).

Here is OMV systems forum, ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!