Omv 6 release

• I love OMV and it's great software. I apologize in advance but I'm just wondering how long it will be for a stable OMV 6.

I know developers hate that question but I'm not looking for anything specific, maybe like a quarter or general idea.

Thank you for all your hard work, I really appreciate it :)

• votdev

Added the Label OMV 6.x (beta)
  • I love OMV and it's great software. I apologize in advance but I'm just wondering how long it will be for a stable OMV 6.

I know developers hate that question but I'm not looking for anything specific, maybe like a quarter or general idea.

Thank you for all your hard work, I really appreciate it :)

I have had OMV6 on my newly built NAS for several months now, it's been very stable. And lately more plugins have been added, so I would not hesitate to upgrade :-)

• I have had OMV6 on my newly built NAS for several months now, it's been very stable. And lately more plugins have been added, so I would not hesitate to upgrade :-)

If you're familiar with OMV software, etc.. It's *probably* a pretty safe upgrade. The underlying Debian 11 is stable. The first point release was released early October, which probably fixed any minor bugs, etc.. that weren't fixed before release or slipped through testing. So any problems would likely come from the actual OMV software.... which again, up to this point, has been fairly stable despite being despite being beta.

If you're a heavy user of omv-extras plugins, you might want to check the thread in the plugins forum showing what plugins have been ported.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• And OMV 6.x might be stable but just be prepared for possible issues with the newly released omv-extras plugins. The tester (me) isn't very good lol

omv 6.0.27-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.15 proxmox kernel | plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.0.9 | kvm 6.1.12 | mergerfs 6.1.1 | zfs 6.0.9
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have been using OMV 6 for months withour any major issues. The only advice I would give is if you use a plugin that it does not support and cant be replaced by docker then dont update. Otherwise it is extremely stable.

I only use it as a file server and utuilize an URbackup instance in docker.

• Would be best to test it in a VM according your needs.

Probably I am experiencing a "senior moment" , but I need to ask. I installed OMV-6 RC-1 on Virtual Box in Linux Mint. How do I access OMV GUI on that VB ?

Edit:

Founded. Set VB network to bridged.

EndeavourOS

Linux Mint 20.3 "Uma", Cinnamon DE

OMV6 NAS, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, 23TB storage, pfSense Plus

Edited once, last by andrzejls: Founded solution to my question ().

• For the basic stuff (SAMBA, rsync, FTP too probably) it's quite stable. Otherwise stick to ver. 5 for now. I couldn't install it from the 6-16 image (kept complaining about missing files) but an install on top of debian 11 worked fine.

• I couldn't install it from the 6-16 image (kept complaining about missing files)

I haven't had that issue but there is a 6.0-34 image now.

omv 6.0.27-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.15 proxmox kernel | plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.0.9 | kvm 6.1.12 | mergerfs 6.1.1 | zfs 6.0.9

• I think it's the hardware the installer doesn't like. When I tried installing v 5 a while ago (and it wasn't a beta or anything) on my main backup machine I had the normal sata controller on the motherboard plus some Asmedia controller also included on the motherboard all filled up plus three PCIe-to-SATA (with only 2 ports on each, those with 4 ports are troublesome even in plain debian) and I had the same problem. Had to install debian first. Worked like a charm. That system is still running today :)

P.S yes I disconnected all the cables but the boot drive when installing

• I think it's the hardware the installer doesn't like. When I tried installing v 5 a while ago (and it wasn't a beta or anything) on my main backup machine I had the normal sata controller on the motherboard plus some Asmedia controller also included on the motherboard all filled up plus three PCIe-to-SATA (with only 2 ports on each, those with 4 ports are troublesome even in plain debian) and I had the same problem. Had to install debian first. Worked like a charm. That system is still running today

Not sure why the OMV installer would have issues if the Debian installer worked. They are the same installer. I would still be curious how the omv 6 iso would work (possibly remove the 3 sata cards?).

I have a five port sata card on my rpi cm4 setup and it works great. Debian (OMV is debian) shouldn't have any problem with cards regardless of number of ports. Some really cheap cards do dumb things like return the same serial number for all of the drives. This can cause issues.

• Once 6 is declared the new stable I will attempt the install on the machine in the screenshot above. I don't use any plugins so I'm not waiting around for any of those. Get back to you then.

If you have the time it might help make the release better for you and others.

Thanks

If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!