Kernel plugin - booting into Clonezilla

• After the friendly hints where to find Clonezilla I tried to boot into it but got some problems. The bootloader is telling me, that it is not able to find the iso.

error: file '/boot/clonzilla-live-2.6.0-37-amd64.iso' not found

I have installed the kernel plugin, then inside the plugin downloaded the clonezilla image, chosen to boot once into the image and finally rebooted.

A look into grub config:

Code
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/42_clonezilla ###
    menuentry 'Clonezilla Live' {
      set isofile="/boot/clonezilla-live-2.6.0-37-amd64.iso"
      loopback loop $isofile
      linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live live-config noswap edd=on nomodeset ocs_prerun="dhclient" ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" keyboard-layouts=NONE ocs_live_batch="no" locales="en_US.UTF-8" ocs_daemonon="ssh" vga=788 nosplash toram=filesystem.squashfs findiso=$isofile
      initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/42_clonezilla ###

/boot

The disks are btrfs. I first installed debian and on top OMV.

filesystem:

Any ideas what might go wrong here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

error: file '/boot/clonzilla-live-2.6.0-37-amd64.iso' not found

Is this a typo of yours? Or is the message really like that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The disks are btrfs.

This is your problem. The way the plugin sets up grub for the ISO is probably completely wrong for btrfs. I don't even know if grub can boot an iso from btrfs. The plugin can only support so many things.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This is your problem. The way the plugin sets up grub for the ISO is probably completely wrong for btrfs. I don't even know if grub can boot an iso from btrfs. The plugin can only support so many things.

Thanks for the info. And very understandable that not everything can be supported. Still a pity for me ;)

Then I'll try with btrfs snapshots to remote hds.... Clonezilla is just so convenient.

• Stramm

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Just some thoughts on this (really interested on this topic):

Although I'm running Pis, I too have the drives (ALL except BOOT ) on BTRFS. To do so, I had to remake the initramfs with the BTRFS module on it otherwise the FS wouldn't be recognize.

Since Stramm is running the OS with a root BTRFS, means that one of the initrd.img has the module.

Perhaps this one since it's the oldest:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 32034040 Oct 16 16:09 initrd.img-5.10.0-9-amd64

But there's another initrd.img there, that I presume is from the Plugin:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38026307 Oct 30 11:30 initrd.img-5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

The one in use on the System can be verified with a simple uname -a

Maybe I'm off and this was just an updated kernel leftover.

If this is making any sense until now, what I wanted to say is ryecoaaron:

Does the plugin have any control on the initrd.img so it can add the BTRFS module (or any other fancy module) to it so it can run on BTRFS root? drives?

• Soma

uname -a

Linux NAS 5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.14.9-2~bpo11+1 (2021-10-10) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ok, it was an update to the kernel.

Now, all there is to find, is what intrd the plugin uses and if it can be manipulated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

what intrd the plugin uses and if it can be manipulated.

The plugin doesn't touch initrd. It creates a grub entry in /etc/grub.d/ and runs update-grub. If your system is booting from btrfs for root, then the btrfs module is in the initrd. If someone wants to look into booting an iso from grub on btrfs and point me at the info, I will see what I can do. But I'm really busy trying to get the plugins ported to OMV 6.x and don't have time to dig into this.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• The plugin doesn't touch initrd. It creates a grub entry in /etc/grub.d/ and runs update-grub. If your system is booting from btrfs for root, then the btrfs module is in the initrd. If someone wants to look into booting an iso from grub on btrfs and point me at the info, I will see what I can do. But I'm really busy trying to get the plugins ported to OMV 6.x and don't have time to dig into this.

After some googling this sounds like a problem with no perfect solution. A workouround could be the possiblility to chose the download location of the iso (that should be used in grub.d, too). If that path is on a non btrfs, xfs partition booting should work.

But I won't ask you to implement that. You already have lots to do with porting all the plugins to omv 6. And thanks again for looking into this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A workouround could be the possiblility to chose the download location of the iso (that should be used in grub.d, too). If that path is on a non btrfs, xfs partition booting should work.

What if the user doesn't have a non-btrfs filesystem? Putting the iso in /boot is the best place because initrd is there and the system won't be accessible if /boot isn't working. People who want btrfs for a root filesystem will just have to put /boot on ext4 or something other than btrfs.

• What if the user doesn't have a non-btrfs filesystem? Putting the iso in /boot is the best place because initrd is there and the system won't be accessible if /boot isn't working. People who want btrfs for a root filesystem will just have to put /boot on ext4 or something other than btrfs.

Yep, that sounds somehow quite logical. I'll try to create a boot partition, add it to fstab and see what happens. Hope I do not mess things up :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!