omv 6.x on rpi

• OK, thank you for your response, I'm running 64Bit to.

6.0.7-1 update came with "raspberry-sys-mods 20220106" and "base-files 11.1+rpi1+deb11u2" (not sure about this last one)

Did you install all the last packages ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It breaks OMV 6.0.7 (service page crash).

Do you see an error? Did you try ctrl-shift-R?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Did you install all the last packages ?

Everything is updated.

• Yes, the service page does not show and the black and the red font tells there was no page and a cache problem.

When I reinstalled from updated scratch, I didn't saw my disks and services page did not show when I installed mini-DLNA service.

Looks like Fibrou's problems there : latest omv update problems

I reloaded an old backup and all is OK now, but I won't update ...

I've got a rpi4 and I'm using a Mac and Safari to access OMV

Edit : i redo the updates with my backup, and the only errors are :

Setting up Salt environment ...

[ERROR ] Command '/usr/bin/patch' failed with return code: 1

[ERROR ] stdout: patching file /tmp/__salt.tmp.8u0nn4j7 (read from /lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/modules/network.py)

Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!

Skipping patch. 1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file /tmp/__salt.tmp.5fu0ri63

[ERROR ] retcode: 1

[ERROR ] Command '/usr/bin/patch' failed with return code: 1

[ERROR ] stdout: patching file /tmp/__salt.tmp.j00pa_a6 (read from /lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/fileserver/roots.py)

Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!

Skipping patch. 1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file /tmp/__salt.tmp.hqtfbo__

[ERROR ] retcode: 1

So, i restarted two times to find my disks in OMV and I reloaded the pages with alt-cmd-R (MacOS/Safari).

You were right, all seems ok now.

Thank you for your help !:thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm late to the party, but am I reading this correctly? The way to upgrade from 5 to 6 is to rebuild my appliance from scratch?

You can use omv-release-upgrade. Depending on your configuration it is possible that some complication arises, there are several threads to consult. Before applying it, completely update your system, uninstall the plugins that are not yet ported to OMV6, see here.

omv-extras plugins - porting progress to OMV 6.x

It's a good idea to have a backup so you can go back if something really goes wrong.

In any case, if your configuration is easy to reproduce it is always preferable to do a clean installation of OMV6.

• The way to upgrade from 5 to 6 is to rebuild my appliance from scratch?

if your appliance is build using a Raspberry Pi, YES the recommended & safe approach is rebuild from scratch.

I used the occasion to start fresh with a 64bit OS, because there is not upgrade path from 32bit to 64bit Raspberry Pi OS!
    if you are keen on resolving technical challenges and don't depend on a working OMV, other approaches could work too.

There is just a little remaining risk that at the end a new setup is the only solution anyways.

you are free to choose

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm late to the party, but am I reading this correctly? The way to upgrade from 5 to 6 is to rebuild my appliance from scratch?

When I wrote that, there was no upgrade utility. But, as mi-hol says, the Raspberry Pi foundation still recommends against doing release upgrades. The utility is written for OMV in general and does work for an RPi but do it at your own risk.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hello,

I'm currently upgrading from 32bits/OMV 5.x to 64bits/OMV 6.x.

I've started from scratch on a new SSD, install RaspiOS/OMV/did my stuff/mount disk.

I'm kind of puzzled at the "shared folders" creation. As I'm planning to re-use my data disks, I'm not sure if entering the name of an existing directory of the old file system will erase data ?

Just for information, I'm quite disappointed by the Portainer backup function.... it just contains my username/password and none of my VLANs/container/.... (will re-do the job but find that kind of useless).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure if entering the name of an existing directory of the old file system will erase data ?

It won't erase data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm kind of puzzled at the "shared folders" creation. As I'm planning to re-use my data disks, I'm not sure if entering the name of an existing directory of the old file system will erase data ?

When you create new shared folder using old data, "browse" (using the folder icon) to the existing data.

• I ran the upgrade from OMV5.6.26 on my RPi 4 (4GB) using omv-release-upgrade and no problem so far.

Currently running 6.0.20-1.

Everything I need runs through Docker (Plex, Minecraft Server, Qbittorent) and I have netatalk installed as well. They all followed smoothly. No issue with the file systems whatsoever.

CPU utilization looks in check compared to OMV5.

Easy upgrade so far.

• Are you using 32 or 64 bit?

• Today I felt I was a cowboy.

So I did upgrade from omv5 to omv6 using omv-release-upgrade on a raspberry Pi with quad sata hat and guess what ? It all went super well.

Just to let you know...

My setup was really simple :

• luks encryption
    • usb backup
    • borg backup
    • minidlna

OMV Rocks :thumbup:

• Hi,

i would also like to update to OMV6, just have a few (stupid) questions. I am basically running just plex and qbittorrent with two external HDDs. If something goes wrong and i have to do fresh install, can i use "full" HDD or they have to be formatted when connected to RPi? And this is stupid one, do i run command for upgrade via SSH?

Thank you all!

• Offizieller Beitrag

two external HDDs

Hopefully not configured as RAID.

If something goes wrong and i have to do fresh install, can i use "full" HDD or they have to be formatted when connected to RPi?

Yes (if not RAID). If you connect the drives to a fresh install of OMV, it will detect the drives. Than you can mount the filesystem and create shared folders pointing at the existing folders on the drive.

However, you should always have a backup of your data.

do i run command for upgrade via SSH?

Either you connect keyboard and display to the RPi, or execute the command via ssh. I recommend to use a screen session for that. google for screen on linux.

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-use-linux-screen/

Make sure to have a backup of your OS drive. Just in case something goes wrong.

• therefore it was not possible for me to update via omv-release-upgrade on my rpi 8gb 64-bit.

Will this be issued in the near future? Thanks in advance!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!