Mounting Docker Drive Failure

• Hi,

I just upgraded to OMNV 5.6.19 (edited) and then noticed Portainer is no longer installed (so can not access the Portainer Web UI).

I tried to install again and error came up saying it couldn't install - it just shows the Status as 'Created'.

I dont what has happened following the update to 5.6.19?

• I tried to reboot and it kept saying 'An error has occurred'.

I switched the computer off and tried to reboot that way. Now I can't even get access via Putty. Seems a major fatal error.

It was working fine about an hour ago. Did an update and now .....

Some days I wish I never met this love affair - OMV.

• I've attached a monitor to my computer and I'm in emergency mode.

I tried to exit from it but everytime it reboots it goes back into emergency mode.

How can I get it to reboot normally, so I can access again via the Web UI?

• Saying "this is a big fatal mistake" doesn't give you many clues.

Maybe if you posted the full error output, as macom suggested, someone could help you.

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

• I don't how to because its on a headless setup. But I was able to press Ctrl D to get the web UI back.

But when I try to reboot, it goes back into emergency mode, so I need to press Ctrl D and get the web UI back.

I can access it via putty now so if someone can provide a command of how to get the required logs, I can post here

But I have added a photo of the bootup - one of my external drives does fail but to be honest it always been like that in the past and normally I get to the web UI interface and mount it manually.

And this is the output for that failed drive:

It seems fsck failed with exit status but don't know what this means. But in my ftsab file I have 'nofail' set for this drive.

• Check SMART values

smartctl -a /dev/sdx replace x with the correct letter

and run fsck manually from CLI.

https://phoenixnap.com/kb/fsck-command-linux

Thanks Macom - I fixed the hard drive that was causing it to go into emergency mode using thise commands. I then rebooted and it did not go into emergency mode but as it was rebooting another of my hard drives (which was previously fine) - I noticed had failed during bootup to mount. I couldn't take a picture as it went quick.

The hard drive in question has my Docker files but I couldn't seem to fix it using the same command:

EDIT:

So I manually mounted my Docker drive and its running but again my Portainer installation has disappeared. When I try to install it - I get this:

• If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
    or
    e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

If the drive contains ext4 filesystem you can try the alternate superblock.

Is this drive connected by USB? I once had this combination of ext4, usb and docker with the same issue. Unfortunately I was not able to fix it, but maybe somebody else has an idea.

• If the drive contains ext4 filesystem you can try the alternate superblock.

Is this drive connected by USB? I once had this combination of ext4, usb and docker with the same issue. Unfortunately I was not able to fix it, but maybe somebody else has an idea.

Yes my docker is connected with a thumbdrive stick.

I tried the e2fsck commands and it just says cannot continue, aborting.

My docker is running (as I manually mounted) but I can't get to Portainer and it says it not installed and I cant install it.

• Is the filesystem mounted read only (ro)

grep "[[:space:]]ro[[:space:],]" /proc/mount

I just rebooted again and manually mounted the Docker drive and appear to have Portainer back but one of my containers (Plex) is now not working (says Network is unreachable) even though I can access the files through file explorer.

I feel like its a sinking ship and a full rebuild is going to be required.

EDIT: Do you think the issue I'm having with Docker drive not mounting automatically has something to do why Plex network can not be reached?

All of my other containers are working fine and accessable. I've tried restarting Plex etc but nothing happens. Just says the same:

• tannaroo

Changed the title of the thread from “Portainer Created But Not Installed” to “Mounting Docker Drive, Plex Network Unreachable”.
  • If this is a USB thumb drive it might be failing. SSD would be a better option.

Can you see SMART values of the thumb drive in OMV GUI?

It showing but the status is grey. On the extended information it says the following. But in fairness, it says the some with all of my other 4 drives connected and they are working fine.

Code
    smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
    Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode
    A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.
  • tannaroo

Changed the title of the thread from “Mounting Docker Drive, Plex Network Unreachable” to “Mounting Docker Drive Failure”.
  • EDIT: Do you think the issue I'm having with Docker drive not mounting automatically has something to do why Plex network can not be reached?

I don't think you. But you can stop the PLEX container in Portainer and reboot. I think PLEX will not be started then, but not 100% sure.

• I don't think you. But you can stop the PLEX container in Portainer and reboot. I think PLEX will not be started then, but not 100% sure.

I've redeployed the Plex stack and it seems to be working now.

My only issue is the Docker drive is not mounting autmotically, which means I have to manually mount the drive, restart Docker manually and then start the containers. Bit cumbersome but if anyone has an idea of how I can fix the Docker drive through the reboot/startup, that would be really helpful?

EDIT: Just noticed this on my bootup sequence regarding the Dockerdrive - not sure if this helps to fix it somehow?

• Yes I was able to fix the Docker drive but its not running docker automatically through the boot sequence, so I have to start it manually.

I've running these commands and rebooted but its still not running automatically:

Code
    systemctl enable docker.service
    systemctl enable containerd.service

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!