Is OMV6 stable enough to upgrade a production environment

• Hello, I have a huge question, I am funning OMV 5.6.20 right now and I am curious if OMV6 is stable enough to do the upgrade? My OMV is running as VM on Proxmox, with a Kernal of 5.4.73. I am going to upgrade my Proxmox in the new Year, but I am curious doing the omv-release-upgrade will break my VM? I do have a backup, but always good to ask questions before hand.

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (RC1) hinzugefügt.
  • What features are in OMV 6 that you must have to justify an upgrade?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• If you love debian 11 then and you are running vm's then spin up a vm with debian 11 on it and love it to death.

If you have a production OMV and you love working under high stress then I'd definitely upgrade a mission critical piece of software to a pre-production version just so I could love a newer gui and underlying operating system.

If you're after an opinion then I'd lean towards 'WTF' :)

• That was not the point, I prefer to have all of my servers using the same Linux Distro. If the Release Candidate of OMV is not stable enough for a Production Environment, then I will stay where I am at until a more stable version is released. Also, would be nice with OMV 6 if they could add AFP back in, in some way, since half of our office is on MAC and the other half is on Windows. With the DS.Store files that Mac's leave using SMB, it is driving me crazy with ACL permissions resets.

• My OMV is running as VM ... but I am curious doing the omv-release-upgrade will break my VM?

What prevents you from spinning up a test VM to see what happens & report back any issues encountered?
    This approach will benefit you and others :)

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I did download the ISO and I am thinking of spinning up a VM on my Test Server to see already. Just Don't have the drives pointing to that VM since my Production OMV is on another server.

• add AFP back in

to avoid confusion due to replies in parallel: AFP is covered in feature request https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/1143

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!