Poor speed with SMB over 40gbe

• I have two servers connected using a direct connect 40gb ethernet (2 Chelsio T580’s). Iperf3 shows about 38gb transfer rates either direction. I’m am trying to read off a samba share on the omv machine and direct it to /dev/null on the client machine. The omv machine is running debian 11 bullseye and the client is running ubuntu 21.10 with a 5.10 kernel (chelsio drivers won’t compile with 5.11+).

For storage, I’m using a raidz2 on the omv machine with 8 nvme 2tb drives (pcie-3). Benchmarking of this array with fio gives throughput of around 4GB/s (bytes, not bits). Reads from this array over the 40gbe direct connect are maxing out at about 200 MB/s. I am using encryption on the array, gzip, but I have 2 Intel 8960 QAT cards that handle it in hardware, and the above benchmarking includes these cards and the compression settings for ZFS. Regular RAID performs better on tests using fio, but both far outperform transfer rates.

The omv machine is an epyc 7401 w/ 128gb ddr4-3200 with 24/48 cores. The client machine is a supermicro 4 cpu, 12 core/cpu, xeon 4657L2 (48/96 cores total) with 512 GB DDR3-1600 RAM.

I was expecting performance much closer to 4GB/s and I’m off by a factor of about a factor of 20. I’m not sure where the bottleneck is, but I’m thinking it may be CPU. The chelsio cards are capable of full TCP offload, and dmesg shows that the driver is offload capable.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance.

• Just show the output of inxi -F from your client, then you can see what kind of network card is installed.

In principle, I would always use nfs for the connection of two Linux devices. Samba is a Windows protocol, nfs is the Linux protocol and was much faster for me.

• 1.) https://www.jeffgeerling.com/b…e-direction-on-one-device shows issues with some batchs of transceivers
    "It was the Transceiver, dummy!

So yeah, when you're diagnosing network problems, don't leave any stone unturned. In my case, I was using a transceiver that I'd tested and had working with 2.5 and 10G devices, but in some cases, for some reason, it would only work one way."

2.) https://www.jeffgeerling.com/b…nas-setup-and-performance has published insight about hurdles encountered to get to optimum performance.

" noticed two things when I ran atop during the copy:

1. When writing to the RAID 5 array, after the RAM cache would fill up (after about 0.5 GB of data copied), the single-threaded smb process would be around 70% CPU, one core would hit around 50% interrupts (network packets seem to only be able to go through one CPU core on the current Pi generation), and the CPU in general would run between 40-70% CPU.
    2. When reading from the array, interrupts on the single core would hit 99% and the copy would top out around 1.7 Gbps (about 200 MB/sec)."

I'd check if the same issues affect your setup.

BTW: Linux kernel 5.16 has for the first time an in-kernel space SMB server. Maybe that helps to overcome some of the bottlenecks in the future

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• After a whole day of benchmarking and testing, the problem doesn’t seem to be samba. I can’t copy any file faster than about 800 MB/s, even from one ramdisk to another. I have no idea what is causing this.

• The omv machine is an epyc 7401

BIOS issue of motherboard? AMD provides AGESA updates regularly too

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Motherboard is fully up to date (asrock epyc d8).

I get higher rates using fio with 6 streams - but any single copy of a file remains really, really slow. I’m still lost as to why. It’s not the network card, as it occurs locally on the machine.

Using nautilus, I can get faster transfers than with smbnetfs (by about a factor of 2, about 125 vs 250 or so MB/s).

I even set up a RAID array on some pcie gen4 2tb gigabyte aorus in an x16 gen 3 slot (so slightly bottlenecked there), and no improvement. The cpu is not maxed out although some cores do hit 75% use - making me think this is somehow connected.

I’ve tried dd, cp, and rsync so far and all are slow.

fio on the RAID array can get close to 100 gbps (10 gBps) - but I can’t seem to realize that in any actual copying, making me wonder if it’s a parallelism issue. Still, I’ve seen demos online on youtube with people copying files much, much faster over a network (single files). Something is not right.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This feels like a kernel issue. I would be curious to see what kind of perf you get from the 5.4 Ubuntu 20.04 lts kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Trying 5.4 kernel seems like the right approach because RPI users also reported significant performance degradations affecting SMB when they upgraded to 5.10

• Offizieller Beitrag

Trying 5.4 kernel seems like the right approach because RPI users also reported significant performance degradations affecting SMB when they upgraded to 5.10

The RPi kernel has it significantly easier since the hardware doesn't change. While I don't use SMB, nfs doesn't seem any slower on my RPis running the newer kernel. And since SMB is not a kernel feature, I doubt the kernel has to do with it. I haven't seen nfs performance slow on my servers with 10GBe running the 5.10+ kernels from Debian or Ubuntu and I maintain a lot of them at work. This seems specific to this hardware. Probably since it is newer (almost bleeding edge) AMD hardware. I haven't seen any issues running Ubuntu 20.04 with the 5.11 kernel on my Ryzen 5600x system but it doesn't have 10GBe ethernet either.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Penfold have you had any luck to troubleshoot the root cause?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!