Error mounting new disk - salt, I think?

• So, I replied to the previous error mounting disk thread but received no replies, so I'm hoping to get some more eyeballs on it here.

The last thread suggested using gdisk to format the drive, then use the OMV control panel to make it EXT4. I did that to no avail.

--

I am running OMV 5 and have OMV installed on a 250GB Samsung SSD. I started with two drives, a WD Red and WD White (both 8TB) and used mergerfs to 'create' a single, 16TB drive. That drive has since been filled, so I recently added a 16TB Seagate Exos drive to my server.

Unfortunately, when I installed it, formatted it through OMV (EXT4), etc., I can't get it to mount. It formats fine, it's detected by the OS, but when I try to mount, I get the same error 100% of the time:

The people in r/selfhosted (reddit and Discord) have told me there's a salt issue, but I've tried all sorts of omv-salt commands to rectify that to no avail. I stumbled upon this post and it sounded SO similar to mine, so I used gdisk, created a partition table, etc., then deleted and re-added the drive through the OMV GUI. It formatted fine, so once it was done initializing, I tried mounting it and got this error AGAIN.

I'm hoping to finally get it mounted so I can add its absolute path to mergerfs and open up another 16TB. Otherwise, my drives are full.

If anyone can help, I would be indebted to you. Soma?

• Since you have a mergerfs system, I can't be of much help.

I don't use nor have any experience on mergerfs.

What I can ask is:

Is your system 32Bit?

On what Hardware are you running OMV?

What is the output of (inside a code box </>, please)

fdisk -l /dev/sdX where X is the drive letter in question.

lsblk -f | grep sdX where X is the drive letter in question.

column -t /etc/fstab

The "solution" you saw on the other post is just a way to bypass and prepare a disk via CLI for Linux.

When I have difficulties or errors via the OMV gui, it will make the drive visible and partitioned on Linux (Debian in this case).

Talk about DOS nostalgia, ;)

If Debian see's it, then OMV will see it also.

Of course, it all should be good on the gui, but without further investigating and reproducing it, it's hard to get to a conclusion.

(And I'm no programmer or developer to figure out where is the error, :( )

• System is 64-bit.

Hardware:

• CPU: Intel i5-4670S @ 3.10GHz
    • Mobo: MSI H81I
    • RAM: 2x8GB Adata DDR3
    • Drives: 1 x WD Red (8TB), 1 x WD Red (8 TB), 1 x Seagate Exos (16 TB - this is the drive that won't mount)
    • PCIe card: Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Code
    Disk /dev/sdb: 14.6 TiB, 16000900661248 bytes, 31251759104 sectors
    Disk model: ST16000NM001G-2K
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 98174405-D2A5-40C5-8FE2-242F798B4341

Device     Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
    /dev/sdb1   2048 31251759070 31251757023 14.6T Linux filesystem

lsblk -f | grep sdb

Code
    sdb
    └─sdb1 ext4   Exos16TB 5f234f8c-e329-41db-80af-fcbf96c63315

column -t /etc/fstab

Error message: https://pastebin.com/hczByJsp

omv-salt deploy run stab error: https://pastebin.com/rHLFxDeH

Disks screen:

File Systems screen:

Mount screen:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von SoMuchLasagna () aus folgendem Grund: Added full error message.

• Try doing a quick wipe of the disk, and then format it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I dunno then. I don't recall the exact error I got when I added a pair of Seagate Exos 12TB drives, but doing the quick wipe solved it for me.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Bummer. I've wiped this drive three or four times already. The r/selfhosted people were telling me something about needing to refresh salt or something so the drive is mountable/writeable, but I'm at a loss.

Just a huge bummer, since 16TB doubles my capacity.

• Maybe you can divide the drive into two 8TB partitions and format them individually. If that works you should be able to mergerfs them.

I may have missed this in your other posts but what hardware are you running on?

--

• There's an idea. Let me see if I can get that going...

System is 64-bit.

Hardware:

• CPU: Intel i5-4670S @ 3.10GHz
    • Mobo: MSI H81I
    • RAM: 2x8GB Adata DDR3
    • Drives: 1 x WD Red (8TB), 1 x WD Red (8 TB), 1 x Seagate Exos (16 TB - this is the drive that won't mount)
    • PCIe card: Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID
  • Here's another idea to try first. Try shrinking the 16TB filesystem a bit, to say 15TB and see if it will now mount.

--

• Something tells me that a secure wipe will take quite a while.

--

• In the Filesystems page, select the filesystem and then press the Resize button at the top.

--

• I have never tried it myself, until now and I see the same thing - nothing. Oh well.

--

• Pulling my hair out - wiped again, renamed, won't mount. Tried some suggestions, but the UUID for my Exos doesn't show up in any of these places.

• So forget about using the OMV GUI to resize. Create the partitions in the shell. Then see if you can format them in the OMV GUI and if so try mounting them.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!