No Commandline in console

• Hi,

I installed OMV5 last week to have a small play before committing to it. Everything worked well and I was quite impressed. I have since bought two new 2TB harddrives, installed them in the system and performed the installation process once more.

After install, OMV is completely accessible via the web interface and appears to be working well. Shares created etc.

I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor connected to the OMV server (only temporarily) but I never get the command line login script. In fact it shows the text that tells me information about files and blocks during launcvh, and then a red cursor flashes briefly and half the text dissappears. I then just see a flashing underscore character.

I am not an advanced user and have no idea how to debug this. Any advice welcomed.

• HI,

Thanks for responding.

There is no command line to enter anything.

The installation last week worked well. I would see the #login command line text. The new install never shows this.

Note that the web interface is coimpletely ok, I can also connect without problems with Putty. It is only direct at the nas box itself I have no command line option to type anything.

Cheers

• Can you log in via ssh?

There should be a login prompt after booting, if not, what is written on the screen?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• HI,

The monitor attached to the NAS box shows this:

The curosr is flashing.

As written previously, the text line show ,more information. I then see a red curosr flash briefly over the text and then the screen adjust to show the above. I assume the red cursor is some error message but I don't get an opportunity to see what it is unhappy about.

Again as written, from putty or a webbrowser, everything works fine.

Cheers

• Did you install with a graphical user interface?

This is in your syslog:

Nov 22 12:18:34 openmediavault systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nov 22 12:17:42 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting File System Check on /dev/disk/by-id/md-name-openmediavault:data...

It appears that a disk test is running. That matches the text that appears on the monitor.

If so, you should let it finish.

• Hi Everyone, thanks for the responses.

Zoki: No I haven't installed a GUI. Just teh standard OMV5 install and extras. The problem was there from the start.

chente: I will start the server going again and leave it running overnight. Let's see if it finishes.

Thanks for teh excellent support.

• While it is running, please run ps axuf to see which processes are running.

• Hi all,

I have disconnected the newly installed data drives and tried to install once more. This is the configuration I had last week when everything worked well.

Whilst I know the definition of an idiot, I reinstalled several times this evening. Normally the exact same situation occurred after install and in one case, I had a message stating:

platform regulatory.0: firmware: failed to load regulatory.db (-2)

In the end, I still do not have a system that behaves as expected even though the web interface and putty connections work fine. Clearly, something is not right somewhere and this makes me nervous about trusting the system with my all important data.

I welcome any further advice before I have to make a switch to a different NAS distribution.

Cheers All

• Offizieller Beitrag

platform regulatory.0: firmware: failed to load regulatory.db (-2)

This just means there was no firmware available for a device on your system. If this is a desktop board, it probably won't affect the system at all. I would try the proxmox kernel though.

In the end, I still do not have a system that behaves as expected even though the web interface and putty connections work fine.

What exactly is the problem? Just that you can't login via the command line on the box itself? Did you try hitting enter when at the machine? Do you know Linux well enough to fix the machine if the web interface and putty are both broken?

I welcome any further advice before I have to make a switch to a different NAS distribution.

You aren't seeing OMV issues. Everything OMV is working fine from your posts. You are seeing Linux "issues" that you will probably see elsewhere. I am very curious if installing the proxmox kernel from omv-extras fixes the issues. What board is this?

• Hi ryecoaaron,

The regulatory.db error appeared once when I tried to install with a USB wlan adaptor connected (how it was when I installed succesfully last week). Since connecting the LAN cable this error has not appeared again.

What exactly is the problem? Just that you can't login via the command line on the box itself? Did you try hitting enter when at the machine? Do you know Linux well enough to fix the machine if the web interface and putty are both broken?

Yes, basically everything works from a remote connection. It is completely dead from the attached keyboard and mouse.

In principal, this is not so important. However, I know nothing of Linux and so as a novice, it just knocks my confidence in the system when I can see that something is not working correctly. Can I trust the system?

You aren't seeing OMV issues. Everything OMV is working fine from your posts. You are seeing Linux "issues" that you will probably see elsewhere. I am very curious if installing the proxmox kernel from omv-extras fixes the issues. What board is this?

OK. What I am completely confused about is that this worked completey correctly last week. I installed 2 data drives and then made the foolish mistake of reinstalling. Since then the problem started. I have disconnected everything so that it matches teh hardware configuration from last week and still, the problem exists.

The board is an old ITX Point of View board. I can't get the model right now but again, this was working with the install last week.

I will install the extras and give it a try

• Offizieller Beitrag

The regulatory.db error appeared once when I tried to install with a USB wlan adaptor connected (how it was when I installed succesfully last week). Since connecting the LAN cable this error has not appeared again.

A wireless adaptor is probably the most common thing that needs firmware. Installing the firmware-nonfree package might fix it.

It is completely dead from the attached keyboard and mouse.

In principal, this is not so important. However, I know nothing of Linux and so as a novice, it just knocks my confidence in the system when I can see that something is not working correctly. Can I trust the system?

How is the keyboard connected? ps2 or usb? The mouse would never do anything. If the keyboard isn't recognized, the terminal can kind of go to sleep and appear to be broken. If ssh and web interface are working, you can trust the system. If you buy a commercial NAS, most of them don't even have a video port. Would you trust those systems?

What I am completely confused about is that this worked completey correctly last week. I installed 2 data drives and then made the foolish mistake of reinstalling. Since then the problem started. I have disconnected everything so that it matches teh hardware configuration from last week and still, the problem exists.

I still don't know that you are having a problem. Your boot log looks fine which tells me plenty. If the system was in a bad enough state that ssh and web interface didn't work, you could boot a Linux rescue disk on any system and plug the OS drive into to make fixes. It is much easier than recovering windows.

I will install the extras and give it a try

Yep, try the proxmox kernel. I find it better than the debian backports kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• A wireless adaptor is probably the most common thing that needs firmware. Installing the firmware-nonfree package might fix it.

I am really not worried about this at all. I can see that the problem goes away when i use a lan cable.

How is the keyboard connected? ps2 or usb? The mouse would never do anything. If the keyboard isn't recognized, the terminal can kind of go to sleep and appear to be broken. If ssh and web interface are working, you can trust the system. If you buy a commercial NAS, most of them don't even have a video port. Would you trust those systems?

Keyboard is USB.

I completely understand the logic that a bought NAS (e.g. my old Synology NAS) does not have a video port. But then it is not something that does not work, everything that is there is working well.

The installation process for OMV states for example that on completion of the install, the ip address will be displayed when the NAS reboots and I can then connect to the web interface. Because of what I see (which is not a lot) I had to connect to my Fritzbox to find the IP address of the OMV NAS.

I have had PC's over the years that have behaved strangely and later found that a HDD was damaged or memory had problems etc. As a software developer, my instinct is to fix something that appears not to work as expected.

• Offizieller Beitrag

when i use a lan cable.

Which I always recommend.

I completely understand the logic that a bought NAS (e.g. my old Synology NAS) does not have a video port. But then it is not something that does not work, everything that is there is working well.

Without seeing how the system boots and what the final result looks like, I can't really say more. Maybe the default Debian kernel and its boot parameters aren't working with the video chipset on your board. It is hard to say. The fact that you were able to install tells me the system just need some small parameter tweaked. I've had much worse happen with windows installs. I have systems that I have never plugged a keyboard or monitor into. If the proxmox kernel doesn't "fix" this, can you post a video of the boot process?

The installation process for OMV states for example that on completion of the install, the ip address will be displayed when the NAS reboots and I can then connect to the web interface. Because of what I see (which is not a lot) I had to connect to my Fritzbox to find the IP address of the OMV NAS.

"Should" be displayed is what the process should say. Some DHCP setups don't give out an address in time for that to be populated correctly. So, I wouldn't count on that. And to reference the commercial NAS, how would you find that address? But in reality, you name the server when you are installing OMV. If your network isn't resolving that name, there is an issue with DNS on the system you are trying to access it from. I would guess you aren't using the router's DNS.

I have had PC's over the years that have behaved strangely and later found that a HDD was damaged or memory had problems etc. As a software developer, my instinct is to fix something that appears not to work as expected.

And that is always a possibility. The fact that the web interface and ssh work fine lead me to believe that is not the case this time.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,

I have done some experiments just to satisfy my curiosity. TrueNas and Rockstor installed and behaved exactly as expected. Installing OMV again gave the dead monitor and keyboard:

21478-pasted-from-clipboard-png

A friend who has experince of Linux systems was able to take only a quick look and told me that for some reasons the tty interface is not starting. He tried to start this manually and said it fails but could not determine why in the time he had available.

I have now installed the Proxmox kernel from the web interface. The system was rebooted and now I see the omv login script.

So actually, this solved my problem. However, may I ask, what does installing the Proxmox kernel do. Sure it installs Proxmox, but what is this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This just means there was no firmware available for a device on your system. If this is a desktop board, it probably won't affect the system at all. I would try the proxmox kernel though.

I'm gonna take a WAG (as I had a similar problem years ago).. and say the resolution his graphics device is trying to set, is out of range for his display. This can be easily resolved if it absolutely must be done.

Note: I've not used Windows at home in years.. the below is just what I've gathered from helping a lot of them...

The OP seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill in my opinion. Install, hook your drives up, make sure the webUI sees them. Activate the SSH server in the webUI (or maybe it is by default, can't remember)... then install an SSH client on one of your desktops/laptops and SSH the server. You now have all the console access you're likely to ever need. Only time I've needed console access vs SSH access, is when I had a hardware failure and the machine would not boot

For SSH clients, Putty is pretty popular among Windows users. Powershell I think has been available via the Windows app store or whatever it is, since Windows 10 as I recall.

https://www.chiark.greenend.or…gtatham/putty/latest.html (all you absolutely need, is the SSH and telnet client .exe.. or you can download the .msi file and install the whole suite of stuff)

https://www.howtogeek.com/3367…0s-built-in-ssh-commands/

https://websiteforstudents.com…ssh-client-in-windows-11/

Hope that helps

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!