Help getting Samba started

• Hello,

i have an Linux satellite receiver with 2 NTFS formated USB Drives and Samba successfully running for years.

Now i bought an Raspberry Pi 4 as NAS Storage. A friend of me told me it is the best to install openmediavault

he helped me setting up the Raspberry and installing OpenMediaVault.

So how can i samba share a connected NTFS USB attached HDD without reformating or anything like it is working all the years on my Linux Based satellite Receiver?

I did not find any way in the WebUI from openmediavault to set up the share.

if i call \\192.168.0.x (the IP of my Raspberry) from windows, Windows is asking me for username and password. No Combination did work.

If i call my Linux Satellite Receiver it will show me all available shares and i can access all of them.

So how can i set up my needs in openmediavault? is openmediavault the right choose for me?

If i go with RDP on my Raspberry Pi and browse the Desktop i already see the 5 TB NTFS usb attached Hard Drive and can browse and edit it.

So the drive is already there. But i did not find ANY way to include it and share it with openmediavault.

thanks for any hint

• https://openmediavault.readthe…#creating-a-network-share

Here is the procedure. With disks in NTFS format it will work for you. But it is highly recommended that the disks be formatted in a native Linux format, EXT4, ... If you don't have a backup, it may be the opportunity to do it.

When you use a raspberry it is recommended that the discs have their own power supply. I hope that is your case.

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

Edited once, last by chente ().

• If i go with RDP on my Raspberry Pi and browse the Desktop i already see the 5 TB NTFS usb attached Hard Drive and can browse and edit it.

Is OMV installed on this RPi???

If it is, you'll get issues in no time. OMV is meant to be installed in a Lite system, NOT desktop.

OMV will be "fighting" with RaspiOS for files/configurations.

• Effectively. In the manual linked in publication Nº2 you also have the correct installation procedure.

The best thanks to the help provided is to report what your solution was. The next one will thank you :thumbup:

• Is OMV installed on this RPi???

If it is, you'll get issues in no time. OMV is meant to be installed in a Lite system, NOT desktop.

OMV will be "fighting" with RaspiOS for files/configurations.

Yes i downloaded the Desktop Image for Raspberry (because i also wanted to do some developing tests on it) and also installed OMV.
    The Instruction i did follow also said, you "only need" a Lite System for NAS, but i did not know that using "Desktop" Image + Installing OMV will cause any problems. Is OMV to much for my usage? I just need to Samba Share the USB connected drives on the PI. I do not need any user right management or something.

On my Linux Satellite Receiver it is working great for the last years.

I know using EXT4 would be the right file system, but these are 2,5" NTFS USB formated HDDs which i carry around all the time and plug them directly in to my notebook. If i am at home, i want to plug this HDDs into the Raspberry so that me and my son can access those datas together.

• but i did not know that using "Desktop" Image + Installing OMV will cause any problems

Yes, OMV is incompatible with a desktop version.

Is OMV to much for my usage?

If you only need to share with samba and you can do it without OMV, maybe you don't need OMV.

• Ok thank you, then i will reflash the sd-card in the Pi with Desktop version and try to do my samba shares without OMV.

As you like. If you decide to try again with OMV we are here to help you. Remember to make a backup of your data, this is independent of the S.O. that you use. For this OMV could be very useful. And to share with Samba safely too. ;)

Good luck!!

• Is OMV to much for my usage?

As already said, for your situation, OMV will be overwhelming (or overkill) for what you need.

do my samba shares without OMV.

Before attempting anything on the drives, make sure you have a backup, incase things go sideways.

Here are some food for thoughts:

Samba: Set up a Raspberry Pi as a File Server for your local network — The MagPi magazine

HTGWA: Create a Samba (SMB) share on a Raspberry Pi | Jeff Geerling

Cheers

• Thank you very much all of you. I reflashed the SD card from my Raspberry PI 4 with the Desktop Image. Started setting up the PI again from scratch. Just installed Samba, and now using this Configuration and it works exactly as i wanted to be.

smb.conf

[global]

guest account = root

security = user

map to guest = bad user

server string = Raspberry PI Network Shares %h

workgroup = WORKGROUP

socket options = TCP_NODELAY

smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd

encrypt passwords = yes

passdb backend = smbpasswd

idmap backend = smbpasswd

obey pam restrictions = no

unix extensions = no

wide links = yes

unix charset = utf-8

max stat cache size = 64

null passwords = yes

[Harddisk]

comment = The harddisk

path = /media/pi/Elements

read only = no

public = yes

guest ok = yes

valid users = root

force create mode = 600

force directory mode = 700

force security mode = 600

force directory security mode = 700

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!