Ubuntu Docker Container

• Is it possible to install ubuntu as a docker container?

If so then how can i do it?

What i already tried is that i downloaded the ubuntu docker image and started the docker in the command line with

Code
    docker run -d -t -p 6000:6000 --name ubuntu_container ubuntu

The container started succesfully but i cannot acces the gui.

What can i do to access the gui as a normal ubuntu system?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have much experience with ubuntu as a docker container

I would appreciate help :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm gonna take a wild guess, and say the Ubuntu container you're running, is not running a VNC server (maybe not even a desktop), which you'd need to do what you're doing. You could try bashing into it and installing a desktop and a server. Even then.. not sure a web browser would work, you'd probably have to use some sort of remote vnc app.

I've never really tried this, so I'm not sure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker containers are not meant for running a desktop with ui, but rather single processes.

But there are people https://github.com/fcwu/docker-ubuntu-vnc-desktop who do this.

This was on my to-try list.

I knew I had seen one before, just couldn't remember where (I agree w/ you though, this doesn't make a lot of sense)

• dockers are not Virtual Machines, to do a ubuntu install, better to install first KVM ( A VM GUI) and then install ubuntu like a VM.

• Sorry for my missunderstanding

dockers are not Virtual Machines, to do a ubuntu install, better to install first KVM ( A VM GUI) and then install ubuntu like a VM.

I know this, it is just i would like to install a matrix/synapse container on my arm system but they don't support it anymore.

So my playful attempt was to maybe have a little container running a form of linux and then install the matrix/synapse container onto the linux container.

Kind of confusing but i hope i made it clear enough.

It was just a playful attempt if something like that would be possible. :)

• What I understood, is: you want to run x86_64 app under an arm equipment, is that it?

• Yes i mean exactly this one.

I didn't know that i could still use the older versions

use image: matrixdotorg/synapse:v1.26.0-deb

or build your own image.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Zoki ()

• i have arm32

yes if possible i guess

No.

If there's an arm64 version for the container you want, you'll have to move the whole system to arm64.

The docker will always download only run the image version for the same architecture of the Host.

Even if you bypass it with a TAG for other architectures, the container will error.

You can follow Zoki advice and use an old image TAG that has arm32 support.

Something like:

docker pull ccrisan/motioneye:master-armhf

• use image: matrixdotorg/synapse:v1.26.0-deb

or build your own image.

Yeah i guess i will use a older tag or build my own image if needed

Yeah you are right. True.

I will follow Zokis suggestion.

Thanks for all the help! :)

• Sorry for bothering again.

I am currently on installing the matrix synapse container.

Based on the file generation basic command

Code
    docker run -it --rm \
        --mount type=volume,src=synapse-data,dst=/data \
        -e SYNAPSE_SERVER_NAME=my.matrix.host \
        -e SYNAPSE_REPORT_STATS=yes \
        matrixdotorg/synapse:latest generate

i want to change the paths.

I did it like the instructions say but i wonder if i also have to edit the above

Code
    src=synapse-data,dst=/data

Do i think wrong and everything is right or should i also change the src and dist criteria?

And if so then how should i adjust them

• You need to change quite a bit:

• the mount requires a docker volume, do you want this or do you want to mount an existing directory into the container?
    • the environment vars point to /var/lib/...  which is somewhere in the container and will be lost when you recreate the container
      Leave them default
    • UID and GID should be the user you created as per the tutorial.
    • -e SYNAPSE_SERVER_NAME=my.subdomain.com  this is most likely not your domain name

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• ou need to change quite a bit:

the mount requires a docker volume, do you want this or do you want to mount an existing directory into the container?
    the environment vars point to /var/lib/... which is somewhere in the container and will be lost when you recreate the container
    Leave them default
    UID and GID should be the user you created as per the tutorial.
    -e SYNAPSE_SERVER_NAME=my.subdomain.com this is most likely not your domain name

mhm..ok

i am trying a bit.

I first want to do a basic install and if it works i will modify the paths etc

• You can go that way, or you read the docs.

The pathes tell where to place additional files during generate. These will end up in an ephermal storage location. The result is, it looks like it works, until you recreate the container and then everything stored there is lost.

Leave the pathes variables default or make them start with /data/ which is you volume.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!