OMV Not Booting

• There is only one drive connected (except the USB-Stick) and on this drive there are only three small partitions.

What do you expect to be there?

If you have plugged your HBA and the other drives the HBA is not recognized by the OS.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Correct,

I realized with the issue I had before I reset the BIOS during all this and it disabled the HBA.

I’ve now turned it back on and now get:

After installing parted and printing the output for my OS drive I get:

• So in live Debian and typing ‘sudo sfdisk -l’

I get a list of all the drive I expect (10 drives).

After doing a fsck on each of the drives I get this:

now I am unsure what to do..

• Do you have a kernel on the live disk, which is also on the OMV boot disk? If yes try booting with this one.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• In the boot menu, you can choos a kernel. Be fast hiting the space key (if i remember corctly), otherwise it will bot the standard kernel.

• But you do have a 4.19 image on the live disk, your OMV is already an 5.x. Do you still know which was the one you habe bevor switching kernels?

• If you can not get it to boot with one of the installed kernels, there are two options

1. install a working kernel with the live cd or
    2. re-install OMV on top of a debian netinstall

• If you can not get it to boot with one of the installed kernels, there are two options

1. install a working kernel with the live cd or
    2. re-install OMV on top of a debian netinstall

I guess re-install is the way to go then?

I’m using docker for all my software

Will I lose any of this? What about my MergerFS settings / data?

• Did you follow the guide to put the docker directory off the boot drive? If nothing is sored on the os-drive, you are save.

The mergerfs settings (and all other OMV-settings) need to be re-done.

Do you happen to have a backup of a working boot drive?

• No I didn’t. I remember a guide I used told me to put it off of the MergerFS pool of which the only drive available was the boot drive..

I do not have a backup of a working boot drive.

It was unfortunately on my list of things to try and figure out (I was planning on moving it to a 500GB SSD)

• OK, so you should not install before doing a backup.

Unplug all data drives and have USB-Drive ready

With the live cd (If it is mot comfortable for you, use a graphical UI)

- mount the boot drive

- plug a USB drive

- copy the contents of the mounted boot drive to the USB-Drive

Or get a copy of clonezilla, boot and make a 1:1 copy of your boot drive.

When this is done, we can take care for the rest.

• OK, I am currently booting into Clonezilla Live and will copy the OS drive to another HDD the exact same size.

I will post again when it's all complete

• Alright, I have made a clone of the OS HDD and verified the cloned one by having all the same GRUB boot options as the source HDD.

Now what?

As an aside I would actually like to move the OS to a 500GB ssd which I have on hand. If this makes things any different..

• OK, before we start, I would like to share my assumptions:

- Initially you installed OMV with an older kernel

- At some time, you installed a new kernel but did not do a reboot

- During the hardware upgrade you had to reboot and use the new kernel (which hangs)

It is strange that your hardware is not apt for the new kernel.

If you like, you can use the new 500 GB SSD as you os-drive and install a fresh copy of OMV and o all updates make sure it still works.

Iy you do not mind to reconfigure OMV, we can start from that install and just copy the docker stuff to the new disk.

• Yeah, I’m not entirely sure as it has been running for 18 months and continuously online for about 35 days since the last reboot.

Great, I had a feeling you may have asked me to do that which I’ve gone ahead and done.

Latest version downloaded and installed and have checked and installed all the latest updates as well as OMV-extras and SnapRAID and UnionFileSystems which I know I was using before.

I have all my data and parity drives still disconnected

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!