ISO Advice to go from 3.x to latest stable version (5 or 6RC?)

• I think I've been convinced to stay on OMV (I was considering going to Synology), so now I need to cleanup/update/upgrade.

1) Given my laziness to upgrade, I'm thinking of just going straight to 6RC, good idea or stick with 5.x?

2) I'm considering wiping OMV, and installing the latest version fresh. I have lots of old files, unused addons, etc. - Would my other drives/data still pickup and play easy when I reconnect Emby/Plex and point to the existing drives. I had a Union file system set up, would a new-install of OMV find them easily?

3) And/Or what challenges am I facing to go from 3.x to the latest version? Do I need to go to 4.x, then 5.x? Can I go straight to 5?

4) FYI: My reason to get off my lazy a** and do this is so I can take full advantage such as: using Docker, a small/weak VM for simple tasks, photo sync w/ phones

Any input appreciated

• Given you are using plugins from omv extras and are lazy, use OMV5 and wait for OMV6 to mature.

I have gone the way of upgrading vom 3 to 4 to 5, but this took some manual intervention and some knowledge of Linux.

If you do not have a vast amount of config / users with passwords you can not restore go with a fresh install.

While installing, your drives should be unplugged, so you do not accidentially overwrite it and if you take a backup of your current OS, you can go back and forth easily.

If i remember correctly the was unionfs wors in OMV6 has changed, so you have to recreate a mergerfs.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think it is the best decision. You will not regret.

I would take zoky's advice, do a fresh install of OMV5. The upgrade to OMV6 will be smooth afterwards. omv-release-upgrade and look at the screen for a while :)

I would change "emby/plex" to "jellyfin". I would use "syncthing" to sync phones.

Seize the moment and configure everything well for a few more years.

[How to] Prepare OMV to install docker applications

[How-To] Install Syncthing using Docker

You can easily access your network from outside the home.

[How-To] Install Wireguard (VPN) in docker, server mode

If you dare a little you can configure Nextcloud

[How-To] Nextcloud with swag (Letsencrypt) using OMV and docker-compose

The possibilities are endless. Only you set the limit. ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

f i remember correctly the was unionfs wors in OMV6 has changed, so you have to recreate a mergerfs

If you upgrade from 5.x to 6.x, the mergerfs plugin will import existing pools from the unionfilesystems and mergerfsfolders plugins.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!