How do I uninstall OMV, along with Docker and Portainer?

• I'm looking for some help on how to uninstall OMV, along with Docker and Portainer (and anything else that is related).

I am looking to run a Nextcloud installation that I can access remotely through Zerotier-one. I did previously do this using an old Dell Desktop computer and it ran well but was not cost effective due to power use, so I turned to the Raspberry Pi instead. After spending three months researching, watching different YT channels and scouring many tutorials I settled on one by Addicted2tech on YT. However, after installing OMV I have come to a stand still and can't find a way round setting up Nextcloud without using NGINX and DuckDNS/ Cloudflare etc. (it took me three days of searching to find that not all internet providers allow port forwarding and that setting a fixed IP address behind a dynamic router was not the same as a static IP!)

So I am looking for a way to start again, preferably without dismantling my pi, formating all the drives and starting from scratch. If that is the only option then so be it, I am just aware it is not good for the drives and so far (since starting this venture three weeks ago.

I have searched the whole of this forum but there is little guidance on how to throw in the towel and uninstall the whole lot.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• if your dokkers are saved on your data disk, you can start from scrath, do a new fresh install, and OMV recognize your data disk, next to do is to share your existing folders , finally , install portainer and start dockers using same folder in data disk that you use previosly to store dockers config.

I suggest to save your dockers.yaml files to easy start dockers from portainer stack.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you already have OMV running you don't need to uninstall to use Nextcloud. Just remove the containers you don't want and install the ones you need.

To install Nextcloud:

If you have a public IP you can do it with DuckDNS, here is the tutorial. [How-To] Nextcloud with swag (Letsencrypt) using OMV and docker-compose

If you prefer to do it with Zerotier I suppose you need a local Nextcloud installation. You can use a simple docker image like this. https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/nextcloud

If you still want a clean installation of OMV just unplug your data disks, reinstall OMV on your boot disk drive, reboot and mount the data disks again. Installing OMV5 on Raspberry PI's, Armbian SBC's, & i386 32-bit platforms

• can't find a way round setting up Nextcloud without using NGINX and DuckDNS/ Cloudflare etc.

How do you want to access Nextcloud?

Only on the LAN?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do you want to access Nextcloud?

Only on the LAN?

If I'm reading correctly, he doesn't want to self host since he's mentioned his router issues.

I *THINK*...

apt remove openmediavault*

Should remove any package that starts w/ openmediavault.

Once that is done

apt autoremove

That will remove any further dependencies, etc.. that are no longer required.

Clean everything up

apt autoclean

Then just delete the openmediavault related list files from /etc/apt/sources.list.d

apt update

I'm guessing that would remove any remnants of OMV at that point.. but proceed at your own risk.

• As an update on how to get everything working and running smoothly it turned out to be a very simple process.

Remove and format all drives and sdcards (basically anything that had been tainted with OMV) then download Dietpi to a MicroSD, plug that into the RPi4, along with a SSD to store all the data and follow the simple set up procedure... within 24 hours I not only had everything I wanted out of of my RPi4 but even more due to the wide selection of pre-configured software available to me provided by the creators of Dietpi.

So if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation to where I was, my best advice is give up using OMV (the reviews about it on Reddit, Raspberry Foundation, and other help forums are not as glowing as this forum makes out) and install Dietpi. The software is intuative, runs like a dream, available on multiple single board computers, and their forum really is helpful!

• Bearpunzel

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Bearpunzel

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

As an update on how to get everything working and running smoothly it turned out to be a very simple process.

Remove and format all drives and sdcards (basically anything that had been tainted with OMV) then download Dietpi to a MicroSD, plug that into the RPi4, along with a SSD to store all the data and follow the simple set up procedure... within 24 hours I not only had everything I wanted out of of my RPi4 but even more due to the wide selection of pre-configured software available to me provided by the creators of Dietpi.

So if anyone finds themselves in a similar situation to where I was, my best advice is give up using OMV (the reviews about it on Reddit, Raspberry Foundation, and other help forums are not as glowing as this forum makes out) and install Dietpi. The software is intuative, runs like a dream, available on multiple single board computers, and their forum really is helpful!

So because it didn't work for you, it has to be the software. Reddit.. the toilet of the Internet..lol. I'm not to worried about what they think, but there's a fairly active omv subreddit over there

You chose a toy computer to run a server and were unhappy with the results. Although OMV does run on SBC's, it's target was not SBC's but rather PC's and at least in my experience there's a significant difference in the performance between them.

I've used this software since one of the very first Beta's and have rarely had what I would call a significant issue... so it's gonna take a little more than your whining to convince me.

Anyhow, Good luck

• Offizieller Beitrag

The software is intuative, runs like a dream, available on multiple single board computers, and their forum really is helpful!

This describes OMV.

basically anything that had been tainted with OMV

Tainted?? You do realize that OMV isn't using magic on anything. It is just a web interface executing Linux level commands. The filesystems it creates are the exact same that DietPi will create.

even more due to the wide selection of pre-configured software available to me provided by the creators of Dietpi.

They probably have more people available to create that stuff.

my best advice is give up using OMV (the reviews about it on Reddit, Raspberry Foundation, and other help forums are not as glowing as this forum makes out)

Because you couldn't get an app (nextcloud) running outside of OMV, you would tell people not to use OMV? DietPi and OMV have a very different goals. If DietPi works for you, great. Enjoy.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• As an update on how to get everything working and running smoothly it turned out to be a very simple process.

If you do not need what OMV has to offer, but have different needs it is wise to choose the correct product in the first place.

Although I have OMV running since years I still have enough systems without it.

Your advice may not be correct for everyone.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!