OMV out of memory

• Hi All,

I was using OMV v4 for long time, after a long time I decided to move to v5, instead of doing an upgrade I went to a fresh install option, only I switched from my SSD to USB Stick as it seems easier to handle.

Since I did the upgrade, I keep getting out of memory and the NAS is dying every couple of hours :(

I am using a intel celeron G1840 @2.8 with 4GB RAM

Setup was done using the iso provided on the main paper, I enabled the flash plugin and deleted the swap, 1st time ever.

I have Docker running with the following services

1. Nextcloud

2. Airsonic

3. Jellyfin

4. PhotoPrism (newly used)

5. Duplicati

any hit or tip would be appreciated, I may consider to move back to the SSD but this is simply too much work to reinstall everything :(

one thing worth mentioning when it dies I only can hard switch it off and after restart some of the services may lose the application data and I need to restart again :(

Thanks

• With only 4GB of RAM I would not expect the system to run reliably without swap.

Did you disable swap without removing it and test to see if the system would stay up?

I suggest running with a swap file of at least 4GB for a while and see if it remains stable or if it needs more swap.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 6.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 16GB ECC RAM.

• Swap on a usb stick (if the system is swapping a lot) will mean a dead usb stick quickly.

omv 6.0.8-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.5 | kvm plugin 6.0.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you have the ssd connected, you could try to create a swap partition on the ssd and stay with the USB stick for a while

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here and write up your solution for others.

• Creating a swap partition is the inflexible and difficult way to restore swap functionality. Creating a swap file is a much better choice. It should be placed on a spinning metal disk drive if possible, and never on a USB drive. Placing it on a SSD would be marginally acceptable, but long before I would ever do any of these things I would increase the RAM so as to not need swap at all.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 6.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 16GB ECC RAM.

• I agree, but nothing which can be done right now.

The boot device is an USB stick and I would not put my swap file on my data drives, so ...

Get more RAM, it is cheap

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here and write up your solution for others.

• Stay with the USB and use the SSD for something more valuable than the OS.

Make sure you have the flashmemory plugin installed, otherwise you will end up with a defunc USBstick soon.

• chente

Added the Label resolved
  • chente

Added the Label OMV 5.x

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!