[HELP ME] How update PLEX?

• Hi!

This evening opening Plex I found the following message.

I went to check on https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/ and noticed there was an update from 16 hours ago.

I modified my yaml file by inserting the tag :latest (I know, it wasn't necessary ...) and I restarted the stack.

Now, apart from the fact that I have lost all configuration, the version has not updated.

I also read the post How to update Plex Media Server with Portainer but I believe I have done the correct steps.

How should I upgrade it?

Thanks!

• You should read the documentation for the image you linked to. If the proper Tag is used, all that is necessary to check for and install the most current version of Plex is to restart the container.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You should read the documentation for the image you linked to. If the proper Tag is usedI use the Official Plex Media Server Docker Repo all that is necessary to check for and install the most current version of Plex is to restart the container.

That's exactly what I did gderf !

I use the Official Plex Media Server Docker Repo.

I went to check the tags and saw that the latest tag had been added.

So I edited my yaml file from:

Code
    version: "2.1"
    services:
      plex:
        image: plexinc/pms-docker
        container_name: plex
        network_mode: host

to

Code
    services:
      plex:
        image: plexinc/pms-docker:latest

and I restarted the stack.

Nothing has been updated, I just lost the previous configuration! ;(

• You should try this location instead: image: ghcr.io/linuxserver/plex:latest

I use Stacks in Portainer

Code:

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls () aus folgendem Grund: Adjusted syntax

• So I edited my yaml file from:

Code
    services:
      plex:
        image: plexinc/pms-docker

to

Code
    services:
      plex:
        image: plexinc/pms-docker:latest

and I restarted the stack.

Nothing has been updated, I just lost the previous configuration! ;(

You change to the stack does nothing, as :latest is assumed automatically, if you do not specify a tag. To check if a new image is available, use the pull image option in portainer.

If you last your config, you messed with the volumes or did not provide any volumes so the config gets lost every time you restart the container.

Check the docs of your docker image.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• That's exactly what I did gderf !

No you did not. If you do not read and understand the documentation Tags section you will continue to make mistakes.

Maybe if I paste it here you will actually read it?

Tags

In addition to the standard version and latest tags, two other tags exist: plexpass and public. These two images behave differently than your typical containers. These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution. They also run the update check whenever the container is restarted. To update the version in the container, simply stop the container and start container again when you have a network connection. The startup script will automatically fetch the appropriate version and install it before starting the Plex Media Server.

The public restricts this check to public versions only where as plexpass will fetch Plex Pass versions. If the server is not logged in or you do not have Plex Pass on your account, the plexpass tagged images will be restricted to publicly available versions only.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Maybe if I paste it here you will actually read it?

I had already read it gderf .

The fact is that, having a Plex Pass, I had chosen to install with :latest tag for convenience.

In the first installation I omitted the tag because I know that if no tag is specified by default the container uses the :latest tag.

Do you advise me to change tag?

Should I use the tag :plexpass?

• You change to the stack does nothing, as :latest is assumed automatically, if you do not specify a tag. To check if a new image is available, use the pull image option in portainer.

I know. I also wrote it in the initial post.

If you last your config, you messed with the volumes or did not provide any volumes so the config gets lost every time you restart the container.
    Check the docs of your docker image.

Those inserted are only the first part of the yaml files that I use.

Obviously, if you don't insert the volumes, nothing can work 8o

• If you read and understood the documentation you would know that using the :latest tag is not the correct choice.

Maybe you need to read it again?

--

• shecky66

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Can you elaborate on this? I use ouroboros too, but I didn't know I had to keep it stopped.?! What's the point of having it, if it doesn't update them automatically?!

Also, I have this in ouroboros logs, since I saw that there is newer plex to be installed, and my ouroboros didn't do a thing about it:

2022-01-11 11:18:51 : INFO : dockerclient : swag will be updated

2022-01-11 11:18:58 : INFO : dockerclient : jackett will be updated

2022-01-11 11:19:03 : INFO : dockerclient : plex will be updated

So, how to make it do it's thing?!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do you have Plex tagged in your environments at VERSION=?

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex

• What did you understand, cause I'm confused af

basically he is telling him to go read the documentation on docker, which i understand you cant help people by giving them the answer they need to figure it out for themselves, but a better solution would have probably guide him to find the solution at least that way other who come here looking for an answer will have an easier time.

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!