Login screen animation uses fair amount of CPU

• Just updated to OMV 6 RC1, everything went easy. After poking around for a bit, I logged out and went about my business. At some point I noticed Firefox using 8% CPU, even with very few tabs open and doing nearly nothing. Turns out it's the animation on the login screen for OMV.

It's beautiful and I like it, but can we have it stop after a few zooms? Or an option to disable it?

I prefer to always keep a tab open of OMV sitting at the login screen, but I don't want to have it using up CPU time like that.

• Tested in Firefox, Chrome and Edge. It generates about 5% CPU usage for me in each browser.

That would seem about right, as it was hitting mine between 3-5%. My laptop CPU is far from a "speed demon" (i5-1035G1). Depending on the age of the PC/CPU, OS, Browser Extensions/Add Ons that may be running, etc.. 8% would seem to be well within the realm of reasonable to me

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• My laptop CPU is far from a "speed demon" (i5-1035G1). Depending on the age of the PC/CPU, OS, Browser Extensions/Add Ons that may be running, etc.

Neither is mine a speed prodigy. Pentium Gold G6400 (for what I do with it I do not need more). I suppose if that use is reasonable it is fine. The 5% mentioned corresponds only to that specific tab, not the use caused by the browser including the rest of tabs and add-ons.

Maybe stopping the image movement after a few minutes is not a bad idea. If it can be done.

Clear your browser's cache.

• Reasonable to one may be unreasonable to another. Since it's basically always using CPU time, it doesn't allow the CPU to clock down and use less power as often.

It's not nothing, that's my point. The old screen used nothing, now it's using something.

Granted, it's not --much--, but it's more than zero.

Again, I like it, just think it should stop at some point.

• The 5% mentioned corresponds only to that specific tab, not the use caused by the browser including the rest of tabs and add-ons.

correct. I wasn't using my browser and only had the login screen open. My point about the add-ons is some of them can cause a browser to use more cpu even if they're not in use. Back when I use Firefox regularly I used to have significant problems out of a couple of add-ons spiking my CPU. The browser would be sitting on a blank home page in many scenarios.

One of the reasons I switched to Chrome. While Chrome has its problems it's been way better for me than Firefox

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

It's beautiful and I like it, but can we have it stop after a few zooms? Or an option to disable it?

I second this. I have a similar experience, maybe even worse with cpu usage of at least 20% after 10 or so animation cycles. And it is pretty consistent, so not a fluke occurrence.

First time I noticed it was after having left my laptop running overnight and woke up to the sound of my fans working overtime. Bit of a bummer having the pc running with 20% for an animation no-one is seeing.

I know it is a pretty standard animation, so I'm sure it is not a bug in the code for omv, nonetheless it would be nice to have an option to turn it off.

Workaround

For anyone else stumbling over this, like I did in search of a fix, I just want to offer my current workaround to the issue:

1. Create a file called "__custom.css" in the folder "/var/www/openmediavault" with the following contents
      body .omv-login-page .background {-webkit-animation-iteration-count: 5 !important; animation-iteration-count:5 !important;}
    2. Add the following line to "/var/www/openmediavault/index.html" above the line with "</body>"
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="__custom.css"

This limits the animation to 5 times. You can of course tweak the number to your liking.

Notice, this is only a work around and can break eg. if the omv is updated.

Edit:

Just some info about the laptop where I experience this

• Dell XPS 13
    • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz × 8
    • Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)
    • 16Gb

running Chrome on Ubuntu 21.10

• omv 6.0.8 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 5.10.63

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 5.6.21-1 (usul) on RPi4/4GB with Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• votdev

Added the Label resolved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!