Two separate snapraid arrays - possible?

• Hi,

I have been using snapraid + mergerfs for a while and it is lovely. However, I have found out that I think that I need a second array consisting of 3x500GB SSDs. At the moment I'm running a 3x8TB snapraid for larger files and media. However, my thought is to have my photos backed up on the SSD array but also use the share on the array as a "work in progress"-folder, which should act as storage no matter if I sit at my laptop or my main rig, I should use the same storage point.

I've read somewhere that OMV:s graphical interface can't create/handle two different arrays due to naming of the config files, is this true? If so, is there a way round it that works?

Instead of creating a new array, should it be viable to add 2x500GB SSD:s to the existing array and create a mergerfs folder pointing to the 2 SSD:s?

Which way should be the most sufficient and sensible in this case?

• sjokeckset

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Two separate snapraid arrays“ zu „Two separate snapraid arrays - possible?“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

is this true? If so, is there a way round it that works?

The plugin does not support multiple pools. You can create a second snapraid config file and run the commands manually against that config file.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I see, thank you for your answer.

Just an idea that hit me (and a realization that I might not have thought this through properly); what if I add a 1TB SSD to my existing pool but leave it out of the mergerfs pool? Wouldn't I be able to take advantage of the parity disc and still being within the, in my case, 4 discs on 1 parity disc range and still using it as intended above?

I could, just so I don't need to sync too often, have another 1TB SSD in my off-site backup server which this disc backups to via syncthing. If I'm not mistaken I should avoid bitrot thanks to snapraid but still have every change backed up immediately.

Is this reasoning any good or bollocks?

(Just a side question; i read somewhere that one should not mix GUI and cli when using snapraid in OMV. I built the snapraid array via GUI but run the sync and scrub manually via cli. I can't see that it should be wrong doing that or am I a complete moron?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this reasoning any good or bollocks?

Mergers and snapraid are two completely independent systems. I don't see a problem with doing that.

• sjokeckset

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • sjokeckset

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!