It's possible use all SSD space?

• I have assembled a server with an Asrock J4105B-ITX Gemini Lake, with 4GB DDR4, two HD IronWolf of 3TB each in mirror (for data only) and a 250G samnsung SSD for the operating system only, in this case OMV5 .

Yesterday, after messing things up a bit, with the help of Chente and Zoki, I reinstalled OMV5, I reconnected the two HDs I mounted they and then everything looks ok.

The only thing I noticed is that all the service folders that the various docker containers have created (config, youtubedl, cloudCMD etc) were created in the two mirror HDs (where in my initial intentions I just wanted to keep only my files) and not in the SSD.

I then unmounted the two HD and I noticed that I cannot create any folder in the SSD. If I click on the "shared folder". in the new window that appear where ther'is "device" I have no choice.

At this point I wonder, isn't all the space of the SSD (250G) wasted for the OS files only? wouldn't it be better to have the ability to fully exploit the SSD?

Surely there must be a way to do it, but I am very poor and do not know how to do it.

Thanks and ciao

• Thanks Soma, for you is raccomandable use the SSD boot for make the service folder of the various docker's contenitor? If it is not dangerous for system stability I would keep only my data on the two mirrored HDs and everything else on the boot ssd.
    Thanks again

• Thanks Soma, for you is raccomandable use the SSD boot for make the service folder of the various docker's contenitor? If it is not dangerous for system stability I would keep only my data on the two mirrored HDs and everything else on the boot ssd.
    Thanks again

That's how I run my main server (although the rest of the SSD is a different partition)

sda1= /boot

sda2= root OS

sda3= docker root

DATA is on different drives (sdb && sdc )

• If you did not create separate partitions on the SSD be carefull when using the root partition for data. As soon as the the root partition fills up, you get into trouble.

Care for the backup and watch free space on the disk an you can leave the docker directory on this drive. /var/lib/docker will fill up quickly.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• As long as the volumes are binded with care, it will be hard to fill a 120GiB SSD.

This means only config folders or DB on the root drive

I don't have that problem since I partitioned before but the docker FS doesn't have more than 3GiB

• Docker will put volumes into /var/lib/docker/volumes and images into /var/lib/docker/image.

So it depends, what you are doing with docker and if you usse docker volumes or bind mounts.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Docker will put volumes into /var/lib/docker/volumes and images into /var/lib/docker/image.

Not necessarily.

Before installing docker via OMV, all it takes is to change the root path to a different place (following the example I'm giviing):

And press install (the folder doesn't even exist prior to it)

So, it also lives on the same sda3 partition that I have my configs. (again 3GiB only)

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-sd_configs/@appdata

What I do care is, all DATA volumes are always set to the external drives.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-wolf1/@data

This takes only a bit of thinking how the volumes/binds work.

Don't want to teach you anything (I know you know), just doing some explaining, ;)

• What I do care is, all DATA volumes are always set to the external drives.

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-wolf1/@data

This takes only a bit of thinking how the volumes/binds work.

Don't want to teach you anything (I know you know), just doing some explaining, ;)

If you know how to move docker volumes outside the /var/lib/docker directory a hint ould be very appreciated, because I do not know this.
    by volumes I mean volumes created by docker volume create myVolume.

This is my problem:

If I could move individual (docker) volumes to other OS volumes, I would be more than happy. Moving the contents of the volumes to bind mounted directories is not an option for several reasons.

• If you know how to move docker volumes outside the /var/lib/docker directory a hint ould be very appreciated, because I do not know this

Now I understand what you want.

Maybe the docker docs have something there, :/

Something like this:

docker volume create | Docker Documentation

It has some examples that might fit your need, ;)

• If I can afford a complete partition per container, this would help, But I have to digg into the different mount options.

Do you have an Idea how to mount a directory (possibly via some loopback device)?

Bit we are getting off topic.

• If I can afford a complete partition per container, this would help, But I have to digg into the different mount options.

Do you have an Idea how to mount a directory (possibly via some loopback device)?

Bit we are getting off topic.

Ok, see if it is good (although the mountpoint still mentions the docker root, I think it will save in the folder/volume created)

Need to make a small container using that volume and see where the data is saved.

Test scenario:

Nonexistant testvol folder on the external BTRFS drive.

Was auto-created and exists now as a docker volume.

See the spoiler

• Not sure, if it helped:

The docker inspect looks exactly the same if you mount a smb share. The info about the share/volume is stored inside docker/volumes. Mounting takes place when running the container.

Have you ben able to run a container with the volume on your Pi?

• Have you ben able to run a container with the volume on your Pi?

Will try it with docker hello world tomorrow, need some sleep, :)

• Have you ben able to run a container with the volume on your Pi?

Just made some trials and it doesn't work, :(

The volume is always beeing created on the docker root, instead of the previous created external volume.

Even if it's mentioned on the yml.

Sorry but this would need more time to study than I want to waist on it.

I use the binds and it's enough for my apps.

You'll have to look for solutions but be prepared to spend some time scavaging docs, ;)

• Soma Thanks a lot, have been locking for a solution for more than a year but found nothing.

• Hi guys, this morning I created a image of my SSD 250 where I have installed the old OMV5 with Clonezilla, so if I do something wrong - and I am sure I will - I can always go back to my old system.

And now I'm ready to install the new OMV on the SSD. How should I proceed to create separate partitions and use all the space of the SSD for the system and use the 2HD in mirro onluy for my personal files?

Can you give me help or guidance to follow?

Thanks always

• Hi guys, this morning I created a image of my SSD 250 where I have installed the old OMV5 with Clonezilla, so if I do something wrong - and I am sure I will - I can always go back to my old system.

Have you tested this?

To be sure that it works, you need to flash it to another disk (ssd/usb stick, whatever you have available) and boot from it.

It's the only way to be sure that the backup is working OK.

And now I'm ready to install the new OMV on the SSD. How should I proceed to create separate partitions and use all the space of the SSD for the system and use the 2HD in mirro onluy for my personal files?

With only the drive for the OS attached to the PC, just follow the guide from the forum to you case:

installing_omv5_i386_32_bit_pc [omv-extras.org]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!