Mixed feelings about the new WebUI

• Recently I had several attempts to upgrade my OMV installation to the 6.x version, that ended unsuccessfully, mostly because of the mergerfs plugin. However, during playing around with the WebUI I got the strong feeling that I prefer the older version.

The new UI has huge fonts that prevents a good overview over what is what, there is no option to have all menus uncollapsed, the tabs section of pages is very hard to distinguish and there seem to be no modal windows at all - making the breadcrumb very complicated and I often find myself lost in the UI.

Multi-select seems to be lacking as well - e.g. on the plugins page i cannot install multiple plugins at ones, but i have to install them one by one.

I know votdev put a lot of effort into the new UI and hopefully the new interface is easier to maintain from the development point of view, so my I was just thinking whether its me just simply using it wrong, or do other users have similar impression of the new UI? Are there further improvements expected in the UI or is it considered final for OMV 6.x?

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von molnart ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

In my opinion, the new interface is more pleasant. It is more modern and worked. I suppose it is a matter of getting used to it, if you have been using the same thing for a long time and you have it in your head, the changes are sometimes difficult to assimilate.

I recently had to install Windows XP on a computer (don't ask me why ^^) and when I accessed the interface it seemed absolutely primitive, the feeling was tremendous.

• yes, definitely more pleasant. but much less usable, at least for me. however i think it could be easily improved while keeping the current "design language"

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• Offizieller Beitrag

has huge fonts that prevents a good overview over what is what

This is easily corrected with the zoom of the browser (ctrl + mouse wheel)

there is no option to have all menus uncollapsed

This allows to have more submenus, for me it is an improvement.

the tabs section of pages is very hard to distinguish

Maybe you're right here, highlighting the tabs would make it easier to use.

there seem to be no modal windows at all

I never liked this in the old interface, I prefer this system, I hate windows. Navigation with use becomes intuitive, you just need to get used to it.

Multi-select seems to be lacking as well - e.g. on the plugins page i cannot install multiple plugins at ones, but i have to install them one by one.

True, I've missed it too. I suppose there will be some reason for this but i do not know it.

• I never liked this in the old interface, I prefer this system, I hate windows. Navigation with use becomes intuitive, you just need to get used to it.

It's not about the navigation. Take this screen as an example:

I am adding a new line to the existing configuration, and at the same time i can see how my previous elements have been set up and adapt accordingly. without the modals i need to open multiple windows, because when creating a new element I cant see the existing ones.

Powered by Proxmox VE

• Offizieller Beitrag

Being an extreme creature of habit... I thought it would take me a minute to warm up to the new webUI (I still remember the melancholy I felt when OMV went from colored icons in the menu back before OMV 1.0, to the black ones we had until OMV 5..lol)

That said... I've been doing a lot of testing, etc.. on it.. and it has really grown on me. It does have some differences from previous versions given the updates.. but after I got used to them they seemed well thought out and the new UI has really grown on me.

I was going to reinstall this weekend, but I think I'm going to order me some new storage drives for Christmas.. and I'll clean install after that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

mostly because of the mergerfs plugin.

It is a complete rewrite and still beta.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The new UI has huge fonts that prevents a good overview over what is what, there is no option to have all menus uncollapsed, the tabs section of pages is very hard to distinguish and there seem to be no modal windows at all - making the breadcrumb very complicated and I often find myself lost in the UI.

I'm just going to address these two points from a personal perspective.

I love the new larger fonts. While my eyes are pretty good, I admit I'mm not eagle eye. On OMV 5 w/ Chrome.. I have to zoom the page a good to about 150% to keep it comfortable to read.

The multi select of plugins... now that I did notice and thought it kinda sucked. Honestly.. that is probably the only "complaint" I have about the new UI... and to me it's kinda nitpicky so I don't even consider it an issue. I guess if I used a ton of plugins it might be an issue. As it stands I only use rsync, shareroot and symlinks and only have to install 2 of those. I can deal w/ losing that 5sec of my life.. :)

• Even if perfect, there will always be resistance to change. And of course, not using the new release is always an option ;)

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The multi select of plugins... now that I did notice and thought it kinda sucked. Honestly.. that is probably the only "complaint" I have about the new UI...

i just realised you can multiselect by shift-clicking the items. the checkbox was more intuitive but it works. EDIT: you can select multiple elements, but cannot perform an action on them :facepalm:

another drawback of the lack of modals is the huge travelling distance on some screens. eg. when adding shares i am normally doing the stuff on the right side of the windows, but for folder selection i need to move to the icon at the other edge of the screen: