My take on OMV6

• Just testing OMV 6.0.5-2 on a separate testing machine:

Yes, I know its early stages.

smb, ftp, ssh and Rsync work fine. Yay!

External NTFS formatted USB drive works at acceptable speed 8)

The quirks I have found so far:

1.) Dashboard Configuration it not saved. Yellow bar confirmation is missing.

2.) No formatting of disks via GUI. Can only wipe. Must use command line fdisk.

3.) When installing a drive with files, it is not possible to select the existing shares

via the gui, unless you know the directory names used.

Found "Browse directories". Silly me.

4.) Can not install any packages via GUI. Getting error message

"Could not resolve 'packages.openmediavault.org')

So far so good. Thanks Volker for the hard work.

PS:. Long time user of OMV starting a long time ago with FreeNAS

• Offizieller Beitrag

Dashboard Configuration it not saved. Yellow bar confirmation is missing.

Dashboard setting are stored via cookies.

No formatting of disks via GUI. Can only wipe. Must use command line fdisk.

On a NAS it is not necessary to create partitions; or at least this is not the concept of OMV. The disk is partitined with one big GPT partition when creating a file system.

Can not install any packages via GUI. Getting error message

Your DNS is not configured correct.

• Dashboard setting are stored via cookies.

On a NAS it is not necessary to create partitions; or at least this is not the concept of OMV. The disk is partitined with one big GPT partition when creating a file system.

Your DNS is not configured correct.

Correct. I have all cookies permenently switched off and this will remain so.
    Was thus surprised by this inconsistency. Maybe a "Select all" button would be helpful.

Agree. Missed Create/Mount.

Yep. Missed the DNS setting under "Advanced".

Thanks for the quick response to my errors.

• Backupmaster

Hat den Titel des Themas von „May take on OMV6“ zu „My take on OMV6“ geändert.
  • I like OMV 6 so far. :)

After getting some upgrade quirks fixed I found that everything except denyhosts which I have had running for years survived and that may have become broken recently on OMV 5 due to some python version deprecation. I easily switched to fail2ban to solve that one.

One problem did carry over from OMV 5. In Diagnostics Performance Statistics Memory Usage the graphs are still absent and only frowns are shown. On the Dashboard, the Memory widget does display a pie graph, so OMV can read the memory usage.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to easily remove old unused kernels in the new Kernel section.

Thanks again for all the great work on this release :!:

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One problem did carry over from OMV 5. In Diagnostics Performance Statistics Memory Usage the graphs are still absent and only frowns are shown. On the Dashboard, the Memory widget does display a pie graph, so OMV can read the memory usage.

Do you have monitoring enabled?

• Dashboard setting are stored via cookies.

I think that's a poor choice. I use 3-4 devices to access OMV and setting up the dashboard for each of them (and setting them up again when for some reason I need to erase the cookies) is gonna be a pain

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID