Backup suggestions

• Let's take a shortcut here. Brillig-11 send me a screenshot of your router

1. showing the configuration of the internal network (the 192.168.xxx.yyy one)
    2. the config of the dhcp
    3. the list of connected computers to the router with their IPs
    4. THe name server override if your router does have such a thing.

I try to guide you throug this process and show where to click.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I just tested on my network. When writing the address with upper case, firefox automatically converts it to lower case, therefore, we could say that we have solved the mystery of your multiple servers. Rest assured, they haven't mysteriously multiplied (this would be truly worrisome). ^^

Well I was believing it was what we used to call FM, the second letter being magic.

Thank you!

• Let's take a shortcut here. Brillig-11 send me a screenshot of your router

1. showing the configuration of the internal network (the 192.168.xxx.yyy one)
    2. the config of the dhcp
    3. the list of connected computers to the router with their IPs
    4. THe name server override if your router does have such a thing.

I try to guide you throug this process and show where to click.

Sorry for the late reply to a kind offer. I am partially delaying, while learning. I am considering,, in the mean time to set the server address to a private fixed from a pool of the router.

I hope I may be able to accept your assistance at a later time if it is convernient for you.

Thank you

• Sorry for the late reply to a kind offer. I am partially delaying, while learning. I am considering,, in the mean time to set the server address to a private fixed from a pool of the router.

I hope I may be able to accept your assistance at a later time if it is convernient for you.

Thank you

When you use a IP of the DHCP-pool in the router you will get into trouble as soon as some other decice connects to your network and gets the same address. bad idea, because by that time you will have forgotten, you did this long time ago.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• When you use a IP of the DHCP-pool in the router you will get into trouble as soon as some other decice connects to your network and gets the same address. bad idea, because by that time you will have forgotten, you did this long time ago.

I thought that this would be something like a reserved ip address. My router settings specify Address Assignment is "Private Fixed with the ip address as opposed to all the other device settings indicating Address Assignment is "Private from Pool which shows the ip address range starting at 0.

i was looking at omv to setup the network address but am unsure as to what to set it to. Disable/Static.. the address I would assume to be the fixed address, but the Netmask and Gateway makes me unsure. Guessing that is the 255.555.555.0 and then the router Default Gateway address.

Thanks for your input!!

• Please give the info i requested in #23

The network mask is something you define in your router when setting up the network. 255.255.255.0 is a netmask allowing for a network with 254 devices.

The gateway is the device which connects to the internet and forward all traffic from/to all other devices in your net. it is the internal address of your router.

Where does the DHCP-pool end?

Do not disable the network in the interface.

Can you log into the server via ssh and execute ip r. Network and current ip address and gateway will be shown.

• Lost my nerve and set my ip address as private fixed ip in the router at the same ip address it had originally assigned. So I had to make no changes in omv. The router ip pool ends at .254. The server ip address is the same as assigned previously.

Still trying to learn, but have moved of this to another issue : backups:/

Thanks again

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!