Backup suggestions

• Hello,

Currently running my old computer as a omvmediavault file server, I guess it would be called. My new computer has a small SSD and so I put my original secondary storage drive onto the server. It has 3 drives running in RAID 5. Also doing USB Backup to a seperate drive. I would like to know if there is a backup program that could do as the USB Backup does, but stores the information to be accessible to a Windows computer. By this I mean, would it be possible to set something up so that I could just take the USB Drive to a windows computer and use it a a seperate drive? Since the only way to test my USB Backup if I have it correctly understood, would be to have it restore my installation, which I am timid to try. If it ain't broke don't mess with it mentality.

I have tried to backup a laptop via wireless using Paragon to me file server and it takes forever to find out that it failed, so I don't think that is a real option or need of my home network.

thanks for leaned insight!:)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you backup from the server to the external drive and you need to access the backup from Windows, you can just mount the drive used for USB backup, create a shared folder in OMV pointing to the backup drive and add it to smb/cifs. Then you can access the backup via the network from Windows.

However, you should not permanently share your backup via smb/cifs for security reason (.e.g ransomware that is encrypting network drives). Therefore after you have restored, you should revert the changes above.

I have tried to backup a laptop via wireless using Paragon to me file server

I use UrBackup for this. Creates regular backups with very low load on the client. I do not even notice when it is running.

• Good Day,

Thank you. I understand the jist of your reply and it seems above my level for now and has it's inherent risk. I was hoping for a wonder secret that would let me unplug the drive from the server, plug into my windows computer and have a complete copy of my files accessible from windows, in case of some catastrophic server incident............

Thank you for the UrBackup suggestion as I would like to use the server for more than one device!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I guess you could create an ntfs filesystem on the external drive and use it with the USB backup plugin.

Or you install additional software on Windows, so that it can read ext4 filesetem.

Or, in case of a need to access your backup, boot into a linux live distro (e.g. LinuxMint) and copy your data to windows.

• Thank you macom for the ideas. Your suggestions indicate a level of understanding and knowledge I am lacking. I can try out the UrBackup suggestion after deciding how to reallocate my ip address range and choose a static IP address for the Server if I can understand that!!??

:(:/

• If your router is providing dynamic IP addresses, there is a good chance, you can reach your server by it's name already. Do not use hardcoded IP-addresses in the config of multiple clients.

Try ping <name_of_my_omv_server> from a windows commandline.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Zoki,

Yes, I can ping my server name directly and contact. I am not exactly sure what is meant by multiple clients. I ethernet to my W10 computer and a laptop can connect through wifi. I managed greatly on installing the system, by using the YT channel videos wnoes videos apprear here on the site.

I need to eventually figure out how to not allow connections from my network, I quess by setting up users/groups/permissions or something like that, I began just playing around and now have been using the server as my storage drive mainly and running backups via commercial windows backups programs to the server. The backups are not necessary as I do backup the W10 to a seperate hardrive. But I mainly do not wish to loose the data. I have not ever used the USB backup program on omv to restore, so I am not 100% sure that it is even working.

Thanks for any suggestions and pitfalls.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes that is the information I have yet to accumulate and figure out. I haven't yet had time to consider it adequately, thanks

Imagine the IP address as the license plate of your car. Your router is the Directorate General of Traffic, the body that assigns license plates to cars.

All the devices in your house have a "license plate" that your router has automatically given them to identify them.

If you want the IP (license plate of your server) to always be the same, you have to tell your router from your server.

You can log into your router to see this. Your router's address will probably be 192.168.1.1 and the addresses it randomly assigns will be from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 (this can vary).

Then from your server you tell your router that your license plate you want to be, for example, 192.168.1.100

This is done in the GUI, go to "network", then "Interfaces", select the line that describes your network interface (yellow), click "edit".

In the window, select "Static" in the "Method" field. In the "Address" field the one you want to define within the range of your network, for example 192.168.1.100. In the "Network Mask" field, type 255.255.255.0 In the "Gateway" field, type the IP address of your router, usually 192.168.1.1 Scroll down to the DNS Servers field and add one or two (separated with a,) For example, it could be 8.8.8.8,1.1.1.1 Press save. Then the connection will be cut and you will have to log in again by typing the new IP in your browser.

• May I add to this:

You can tell the router to allways assign the "licence plate" 192.168.x.y to your server (configured purely in the router) or
    tell the server to issue a "licence plate" for himself ("static IP", as chente described), but then you have to make sure, your router does not assign the same license plate to some other computer in your network. So you have to modifiy the DHCP IP-range in your router to not include the static IP chosen for your server.

If you go for a static IP:

• Configure the DHCP IP address range in the router to leave some space for static IPs to assign manually
    • choose an IP address outside the range you configured ton the router.
    • double check that the IP you choose is within the netmask of your local network
    • than configure your OMV server as chente described.

It is easier to go to the router and check "[x] Allways use same IP for this computer" for your server or what it is called in your router.

Be carefull what you do, I do not want to debug networking issues later on.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Be carefull what you do, I do not want to debug networking issues later on.

If we don't break anything, where's the fun?

• Good day chente,

I am wondering about the options in the method you described. It is the reasons on creating a range of addresses in the router and the benefits of assigning the Static to one out of the range. There is a cryptic nugget in the manual about limbs and cutting them off! Then there are the reasons for using a public DNS with certain protocols. Not sure of the benefits vs negative possibilities.

thanks for the info you've provided.:)

• Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Brillig-11 () aus folgendem Grund: fixing fingers not obeying with 100% accurracy, for me this early

• Offizieller Beitrag

Assigning a fixed IP helps you to always find your server from any other client on the network. Both for a browser and to configure services, storage routes, etc.

You can set a DNS that you like, for example the ones I have set for you are

google 8.8.8.8

clouflare 1.1.1.1

In this case your server will use those DNS

You can configure the gateway of your router 192.168.1.1 in this case your server will use the DNS that you have configured in your router, probably those of your ISP

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will let that simmer, brain in gear before fingers in motions

That sounds like wise advice from Confucius. :) If your brain needs gas to get going, here we are.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As a quick aside, in my lengthy diatribe to Zoki about my seeming multiple servers, can I attribute this mystery to just the way the hostnames are recognized ie: capitalization doesn't matter?

I just tested on my network. When writing the address with upper case, firefox automatically converts it to lower case, therefore, we could say that we have solved the mystery of your multiple servers. Rest assured, they haven't mysteriously multiplied (this would be truly worrisome). ^^

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!