NAS on my old Laptop - some General Questions

• Hello, im completly new to making an own NAS. I want to use my old Laptop with an i5 6200U, 16GB RAM and the storage is one of my general questions. I think the hardwarepower is more than enough for a NAS.

- I want to use my 256GB Disk to install the whole thing on it. But my Laptop has only 1 Sata-Port. So is it possible to use a second Disk with (Sata) over an USB-adapter and connect it over USB? So i mean the whole thing works over my first disk and the second disk is like a storage expansion.

- When i use disks over USB, can i unplug them (more or less) easily? So i mean, can i unplug one disk and connect another? I mean really a fat32/exfat external harddrive where is no OS installed or sth prepared for OMV. Is this possible with openmediavault ? And for sure this storage should then be visible for me, when i acces on the NAS-storage.

- Can OMV use something like C-States? So i mean, will it be able to send my CPU to sleep mode (because of powerconsumption).

- Doing things after installing OMV: As i said im new in that topic. So can i install a "basic" OMV and then afterwards configurate different things? Things like clock speeds, when my CPU shall go to sleep, undervolting, maybe a sync-service and so on. Or do i have to do that all on my "install-process" ? Because it would be a lot easier, when i don't have to know all things at the beginning. When i can make one by one, then it would be very helpfull for a beginner.

- If this is not the case, what should i have in mind to not forget?

• Generally, in a Nas, the storage capacity is almost more important than the power of the hardware (depending on the use case). You can do it with that hardware, you will be good to learn, then you will realize that you probably need something else. And you have plenty of the monitor, touchpad, etc.

You can use a USB disk, just make sure it has enough power, preferably its own power supply.

You can disconnect a disk if it does not have associated services, although this will be difficult if you want to use it as storage, you will have shared folders, shared by samba, etc.

There are plugins to turn off and turn on the NAS at the time you decide, your hardware must be WOL compatible.

Clear your browser's cache.

• Ah, this answer was fast, thanks.

Ok, how can i see, if my CPU is WOL compatible? I guess it is.

But why should i realise, that i need something else? The hardware has more power than any other standart-NAS and i dont need more Storage (or for this case the question about connecting an fat32 external harddrive). I Have some datas which i could use very rarely. But beside that, i dont need more than 256GB or 512GB.

But can i isntall other disks after i have set up OMV? So when i think in a year i need another 256GB, can i add that disk over USB without a reinstall? (thought to be NOT disconnected. So it will be never deplugged.)

• Ok, how can i see, if my CPU is WOL compatible? I guess it is.

WOL support comes from motherboard, network card, Bios.

But why should i realise, that i need something else? The hardware has more power than any other standart-NAS and i dont need more Storage (or for this case the question about connecting an fat32 external harddrive). I Have some datas which i could use very rarely. But beside that, i dont need more than 256GB or 512GB.

Like I said, storage is more important. You will not need more CPU or RAM power. But you may miss more SATA connections (Backups, redundancy ...)

But can i isntall other disks after i have set up OMV? So when i think in a year i need another 256GB, can i add that disk over USB without a reinstall? (thought to be NOT disconnected. So it will be never deplugged.)

OMV is installed with the data drives disconnected. It restarts and then the units are connected. You can connect as many units as your hardware allows.

I recommend this reading. https://openmediavault.readthe…r_guide/newuserguide.html

• It is not recommended to do it but there are ways to do it. The ideal situation, and even more so if you have no Linux experience, is to separate the operating system from the data. Separate disks.

If you carry out that storage system and do not do things with caution, you can end up with a broken system, or worse, losing data.

• Install OMV on a USB-Stick and boot from there, all of your disk will be available as storage.

But OMV might not be what you are after, if you think of changing drives ...

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here and write up your solution for others.

• Absolutely. My NAS has over 30TB, and 7 hard drives, and it boots from a 32GB USB drive.

It only affects boot speed, then it loads into RAM. And it is always on.

• Absolutely not safe or absolutely safe :D ?

Ok, and does a slow USB-Stick has any affect on perfomance (after Boot) ? And when it wakes up from sleep mode, is this handled by the USB-stick? So a faster USB-Stick means faster wake-up?

How big do you reccoment an USB-Stick has to be, if you might install some plugins and so on? 16GB is to less then probably?

Ah yes, and i forget to ask: Can i disable the display of the laptop or do i have to disconnect it physical?

• Absolutely sure. ^^

After starting you won't notice the difference.

Regarding the sleep mode, I could not answer. There are laptops that handle this better than others. I don't even know if a server can go into sleep mode, it has never occurred to me to think about it.

A 16GB memory is sufficient, a 32GB will last longer. A larger one will make backups too long.

Add-ons better if installed elsewhere. See this guide. [How to] Prepare OMV to install docker applications

The subject of the screen I suppose it will depend on the laptop, maybe from the Bios, I don't know. It is unusual to mount a server on a laptop.

• Ok :)

Yeah, i have only 16GB or 64GB, but i will decide later that.

And ok, but is there (in this forum or elsewhere) a step to step guide how to set up an NAS with Intel-Hardare? I have found already some guides but not here. But i guess every turtorial more is more information for me to learn and understand. So maybe you know something where you can say, this is a very good turtorial.

Yeah i know, i want to make sure, the display is not active and consuming power. But i can deinstall it physically at last possibility.

Thanks for your help btw :)

• The best guides you can read are the official ones. Above I put a link to the New User Guide. On that same website you have all the information you need around.

You can watch videos or read short manuals on the internet, but before doing anything check with the official documentation. Sometimes these are old videos out of date, or manuals "too" short and sometimes inaccurate.

If you need more support, you have it here. Try to find out what you can before asking, it is the right thing to do on sites like this. ;)

• chente

Added the Label resolved

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!