Hello, im completly new to making an own NAS. I want to use my old Laptop with an i5 6200U, 16GB RAM and the storage is one of my general questions. I think the hardwarepower is more than enough for a NAS.
- I want to use my 256GB Disk to install the whole thing on it. But my Laptop has only 1 Sata-Port. So is it possible to use a second Disk with (Sata) over an USB-adapter and connect it over USB? So i mean the whole thing works over my first disk and the second disk is like a storage expansion.
- When i use disks over USB, can i unplug them (more or less) easily? So i mean, can i unplug one disk and connect another? I mean really a fat32/exfat external harddrive where is no OS installed or sth prepared for OMV. Is this possible with openmediavault ? And for sure this storage should then be visible for me, when i acces on the NAS-storage.
- Can OMV use something like C-States? So i mean, will it be able to send my CPU to sleep mode (because of powerconsumption).
- Doing things after installing OMV: As i said im new in that topic. So can i install a "basic" OMV and then afterwards configurate different things? Things like clock speeds, when my CPU shall go to sleep, undervolting, maybe a sync-service and so on. Or do i have to do that all on my "install-process" ? Because it would be a lot easier, when i don't have to know all things at the beginning. When i can make one by one, then it would be very helpfull for a beginner.
- If this is not the case, what should i have in mind to not forget?