USB Live system for emergency use

• No, it is the BIOS itself where I can set the order and exit with save.

If a disk in the ordered list is not bootable it will be skipped.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• My server is also UEFI. The whole BIOS/UEFI setup only speaks of UEFI. On my laptop Acer E3-111 I can chose in the BIOS setup between booting in UEFI or BIOS mode.

I cannot chose this in the server BIOS/UEFI setup. But there is a "UEFI Guide" and other stuff which gives the strong impression that it is UEFI.

The laptop is booting in UEFI mode. I had set this when creating the stick and never changed it.

The stick is booting fine on the laptop. The stick is recognised as UEFI on the server when I can set the boot order.

I have no idea why the stick would not boot.

• How far does it get when it doesn't boot? Do you see anything at all? Or does it sail right past your selection of it and into the SSD boot?

Also, there are a huge number of Linux distributions out there and many offer a Live version for CD or USB. Have you considered trying one of those instead?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• How far does it get when it doesn't boot? Do you see anything at all? Or does it sail right past your selection of it and into the SSD boot?

Also, there are a huge number of Linux distributions out there and many offer a Live version for CD or USB. Have you considered trying one of those instead?

I am afraid we are circulating in this discussion. The boot just simply skips the stick. Other live versions don't provide SSH.

• If it is skipping the stick my impression is that either it is not bootable or the rootfs UUID is identical to another disk that does wind up booting.

Does that stick boot on another machine?

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!