USB Live system for emergency use

• Thanks! I added the iptables rules according to your link. I had to use systemctl restart sshd.service instead of the command listed there. Still no connection.

I checked the correct IP with ip a.

sshd_config is large. I try to grasp all uncommented lines:

Code
    PermitRootLogin yes

AllowUsers root

AuthorizedKeys File .ssh/authorized_keys
    PermitEmptyPasswords no
    KbdInteractiveAuthentication no
    UsePAM yes
    Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server

Also, I wonder if SystemRescue is persisting changes for the next time I boot it up. When I logged in on the system itself with ssh localhost I had to accept the fingerprint again, although I already did this yesterday.

• I don't think SystemRescue will persist changes to itself unless specifically setup for this. See:

https://www.system-rescue.org/…Creating_a_backing_store/

Try adding this line to sshd_config, save the ffile and restart sshd.

ListenAddress 0.0.0.0

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Why is it so hard to get this working? If it does not persist changes then it is useless because I would have to set ip tables and root password eacht time after plugging the stick in...

I need a USB stick that provides SSH login on boot when plugged into a non-working system. It is weird that I have so much trouble setting this up. This is a normal usecase. There should be prepared ISOs that come with this setup.

I am currently investigating if OMV6 will provide this but also in this case I seem to need an extra plugin (if I got the message of some other user in the beginning of this thread right).

• Why is it so hard to get this working? If it does not persist changes then it is useless because I would have to set ip tables and root password eacht time after plugging the stick in...

Nothing can be everything to everybody. And products like this are designed to accommodate the least common denominator population's needs without dragging in a lot of excess baggage that would likely go largely unused.

While a USB install of OMV might do specifically what you need it to do, it will also have a huge amount other features that aren't needed in your use case such as the entire WebGUI, all the sharing capabilities, etc.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I finally managed to install OMV6 to a USB and disabled Secure Boot so I am able to check it out.

I seems to provide SSH access right away! Awesome!

However, I noticed that there are just a handfull of plugins availlable. Especially not the flashmemory plugin. Should all plugins be availlable? Or should I just use OMV5 instead?

• You have to install omv-extras to get additional plugins

I thought so, but I did not see such an option. Is omv-extras not a plugin itself? it was not shown.

Also, I tried to build a USB stick with OMV5 but the installer is saying that no kernel module was found. I tried two times now, writing this ISO (5.6.13) with Etcher on a Mac (which never fails and also did the other installers fine!). Don't know what is wrong. I was able to install OMV6 via the same way (same laptop, same process of generating the ISO, just another ISO) and never got this missing kernel error.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is indeed just possible to install from command line in OMV6 at the moment.

Yes. However, it was never shown as a plugin to be installed. Only change is, that it is not possible to upload a *.deb to install from there.

• Yes indeed. I could not remember doing this when I installed OMV2 back in the days. :)

You can create the USB-stick on any computer and just plug it into your server. make sure it boots from USB.

I created the USB stick with OMV6 on my laptop (I created the final install, I don't mean the installer!).

It was working fine, I added the omv-extra plugin and some more plugins and changed the password of the web GUI.

All of this while the USB was plugged into my laptop.

I then moved this stick to my server, booted the server up with changes in the BIOS where the stick was shown so that it is first to boot. However, this did not work. I have two entries for the stick: USB and UEFI and I setup both beeing before the SSD with the old OMV4.

However, it is not booting from the stick.

Is there a dependency on the hardware? Can I not move the final installation around to another system?

• Can you describe what "does not boot from the stick" means in sense of error messages=

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Can you describe what "does not boot from the stick" means in sense of error messages=

It just boots directly to the original SSD. I see the blue Debian GRUB menu. No error messages in between, as far as I can see. Should I try to generate a OMV5 stick and test it?

• What are the UUIDs of the rootfs for both installs?

If they are the same (one disk is a clone of the other regardless of what was changed on it later such as upgrading to a later version of OMV) then it will not work.

--

• The first thing to try is to remove one of the disks and verify that the other one will fully boot. Then remove that disk and replace it with the other one and see if that one fully boots.

--

• Well, it boots alright with the original SSD. If I want to remove it I have to pull the server down from its place up on the shelf and pry it apart because the disk is inside.

My original plan was to put in a USB, boot into it, connect via SSH and then DD the whole SSD. Afterwards I wanted to upgrade the old SSD from OMV 4 to 5. This was weeks ago. I spent several days trying to generate a live USB with a working SSH. And when I finally found on - OVM - I now can not use it on the server.

Before opening up the server I will try OMV5 on a stick. Maybe it has something to do with OMV6.

• Do you have UEFI enabled in BIOS? Maybe this will not let boot from USB-stick.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• It just boots directly to the original SSD. I see the blue Debian GRUB menu. No error messages in between, as far as I can see. Should I try to generate a OMV5 stick and test it?

What mechanism are you using to select which disk to boot from? Is it the BIOS boot selector, usually activated by tapping on a certain function key after the machine is powered on?

--

• What mechanism are you using to select which disk to boot from? Is it the BIOS boot selector, usually activated by tapping on a certain function key after the machine is powered on?

No, it is the BIOS itself where I can set the order and exit with save. I will also try the boot selector just in case. I also have to check if it boots in UEFI mode.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!