New install of OMV6 - my errors

• I did a fresh install and recognised that the website gets reloaded often and I have to re-login or I am out of my menu and on the general page. Is this something to expect from the momentary development stage? Or should I be able to use OMV6 in production also, just with some minor bugs?

For example if I install a plugin and click "close" the site reloads and I am out of the plugins menu.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For example if I install a plugin and click "close" the site reloads and I am out of the plugins menu.

That is expected. After you install a plugin it will be added to the left column (in most cases). To achieve this, the site has to be reloaded.

• Ok, thanks!

I will use this thread to put in all the errors I might get.

When installing the WOL plugin I got:

Code
    Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:172
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call()
    #1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #2 {main}

EDIT: Doing it a second time worked fine.

• I got this error with apt upgrade. Probably not related to OMV, though:

• bvrulez

Hat den Titel des Themas von „New install of OMV6 - web GUI is reloading occationally“ zu „New install of OMV6 - my errors“ geändert.
  • bvrulez

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (RC1) hinzugefügt.
  • After installing the omv-extra plugin via command-line I have to re-login to the web GUI and then in the GUI there is this banner stating I have to apply the config changes although the omv-extra plugin already is displayed.

EDIT: And then I got a large error (I did not get it with the first installation, but just with the second one).

I think this might be related to the browser cache because I also saw the monitoring stuff I added for the previous installation appearing in the new web GUI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After installing the omv-extra plugin via command-line I have to re-login to the web GUI and then in the GUI there is this banner stating I have to apply the config changes although the omv-extra plugin already is displayed.

You must have installed updates because omv-extras does not mark anything dirty. There are many omv updates that mark a module dirty and will require applying changes.

Everything in the output is not related to omv-extras either but it looks fine.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You must have installed updates because omv-extras does not mark anything dirty. There are many omv updates that mark a module dirty and will require applying changes.

Everything in the output is not related to omv-extras either but it looks fine.

It's really weird. In the first installation I added items to my dashboard. I did not do this for the second installation, but they did appear from the first startup. I use the same IP (first install was on a SSD, second one on a stick). So, I wonder if this was done by the browser somehow.

I encountered another hickup: After installing snapraid plugin, the web GUI did not reload and I had to manually logout/login.

Just one thought: If I plugin my new OMV6 stick into my server and start it up, will I be able to configure everything (disks etc.) and then unplug and use the old OMV4 again? Should be no problem right?

EDIT: Also, I added flashmemory plugin and it is enabled. But it is not running. Should it be running? If so, how can I manage it? There is no entry under systems for flashmemory on the left side of the GUI. I see that it is not running in the dashbord (red entry).

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's really weird. In the first installation I added items to my dashboard. I did not do this for the second installation, but they did appear from the first startup. I use the same IP (first install was on a SSD, second one on a stick). So, I wonder if this was done by the browser somehow.

OMV6 dashboard settings are stored in browser cookies. So, if you used the same IP, the browser will apply those cookies that it has stored.

I encountered another hickup: After installing snapraid plugin, the web GUI did not reload and I had to manually logout/login.

This is strange, perhaps it is a consequence of the above. Try clearing the cache to avoid this again.

Just one thought: If I plugin my new OMV6 stick into my server and start it up, will I be able to configure everything (disks etc.) and then unplug and use the old OMV4 again? Should be no problem right?

If you don't configure anything on the disks (mergerfs, etc ...) there should be no problem.

EDIT: Also, I added flashmemory plugin and it is enabled. But it is not running. Should it be running? If so, how can I manage it? There is no entry under systems for flashmemory on the left side of the GUI. I see that it is not running in the dashbord (red entry).

Openmediavault-flashmemory in OMV6 has no entry in the GUI, only the notice on the dashboard. Its operation should be automatic and green. It's not like that? Once you have cleared the browser cache, check this again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try clearing the cache to avoid this again.

This has been problem #1 on the common problem thread for years - Solutions to common problems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

This has been problem #1 on the common problem thread for years - Solutions to common problems.

What would have to be done to have a desktop-like interface through http? Is this possible to do?

• What do you mean with "a desktop-like interface"?

Removing the need for clearing the cache is doable, but needs a little work. I think volker is aware of this and has reasons to persue other things first. If someone wants to discuss on this topic with respect to the angular app, just call me.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you mean with "a desktop-like interface"?

I mean an interface like Synology or Qnap (not intended to be so explicit)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is true, the DSM GUI (Qnap's is even worse, although similar) force you to go looking in different places to complete a procedure. Sometimes you can't find what you're looking for. But this type of interface is more pleasant, in my opinion. I think the cookie problem would go away, I'm not sure about this. They allow a file manager. And of course they allow many more dialogs and options. Although the latter I suppose could also be done in the current OMV interface.

I am unaware of the technical difficulties to do this, just asking out of curiosity.

• I mean an interface like Synology or Qnap (not intended to be so explicit)

It would take:

• a new concept of how to structure the UI
    • a documented API to integrate plugins / apps into the UI
    • more manpower than votdev and ryecoaaron in development

and (to my understanding) a different vision on where the project should go.

I think this will not going to happen. But I have been playing with Portainer lately and the idea came up to provide a curated set of "app templates" so they can be installed "on-click" whithout going to the cli once OMV is set up with docker and portainer.

During the holidays I will give it a try if it is possible to get there.

edit: typos

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Sometimes you can't find what you're looking for.

Glad, I am not the only one!

Also to consider: I am running a very old Synology from 2013 and the GUI is taking very long to load.

And I am running my browser on an old iMac from 2010, so I feel every additional weight the web GUI of OMV brings.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It would take:

a new concept of how to structure the UI
    a documented API to integrate plugins / apps into the UI
    more manpower than votdev and ryecoaaron in development

and (to my understanding) a different vision on where the project should go.

Okay I understand. Thank you.

But I have been playing with Portainer lately and the idea came up to provide a curated set of "app templates" so they can be installed "on-click" whithout going to the cli once OMV is set up with docker and portainer

That's what Yacht does. Test it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Glad, I am not the only one!

Also to consider: I am running a very old Synology from 2013 and the GUI is taking very long to load.

And I am running my browser on an old iMac from 2010, so I feel every additional weight the web GUI of OMV brings.

Get rid of him. OMV can replace all the services you have in it. Personally I already got rid of my Synology a few months ago (after many years of using two in a row), but I am still fighting a Qnap from a family member that I help him to remotely maintain. He bought it on my advice years ago, so I have no choice :) Qnap is even less intuitive than Synology.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I have been playing with Portainer lately and the idea came up to provide a curated set of "app templates" so they can be installed "on-click" whithout going to the cli once OMV is set up with docker and portainer.

Similar to templates on Portainer or Yacht like here

https://github.com/SelfhostedP…d_templates/tree/OMV5-2.0

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!