ZFS on OMV6

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you by any chance have a list of what to cleanup to perform the conversion?

Unfortunately, I didn't save what I removed. Most things have pve in the name and/or version though.

if you're not using zfs for root, then why are you using proxmox as base for your omv installation?

I didn't install proxmox for my OMV installation. I ran proxmox as proxmox for years. After I wrote the kvm plugin, I didn't want to reinstall everything and wanted to minimize downtime. So, I removed proxmox and installed OMV. I recreated the VMs using the old drive images and had everything back up in no time. My root install is using lvm not zfs.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I experimented with Proxmox as base install for a ZFS root, but since I want to use zfsbootmenu to be able to rollback snapshots I decided to follow their official installation instructions. With some help I got it working in VirtualBox.

This is what the OMV ZFS plugin shows:

debian_NEW appeared after I rolled back one of the snapshots via zfsbootmenu to test.

I followed the advice to install the Proxmox kernel and remove all other kernels before installing the ZFS plugin. I'm not sure, but I think this resulted in a black screen in VirtualBox (terminal doesn't appear after boot). Something to look into... I can still login via SSH and OMV works.

I also get this email notification on every startup:

Host: debian
    Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 15:48:27
    Service: rootfs
    Event: Does not exist
    Description: unable to read filesystem '/' state

This triggered the monitoring system to: restart

• Firstly apologies if I'm hijacking this thread but my question seems relevant to the topic.

I'm running OMV 6.0.17-1 with ZFS 2.1.2 and I have the zfs plugin installed. I can see the pool in Storage > ZFS but since the mount point doesn't appear in Storage > File Systems I can't setup a share. Is there a step I've missed or is this integration not supported yet ? As a workaround I've configured a share in cockpit but I'd rather do everything in OMV.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can see the pool in Storage > ZFS but since the mount point doesn't appear in Storage > File Systems I can't setup a share

It won't unless you create it within zfs, i.e. create a filesystem in the pool such as below;

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also make sure to click the import button if you did any creating from the command line.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Sorry, I should have made my post clearer. I have a pool which is displayed under Storage > zfs > pools and it's mounted as /mnt/zp0 but it doesn't appear under Storage > File Systems and I can't add it to Storage > Shared Folders

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I should have made my post clearer. I have a pool which is displayed under Storage > zfs > pools and it's mounted as /mnt/zp0 but it doesn't appear under Storage > File Systems and I can't add it to Storage > Shared Folders

That was clear. You still might need to click the import button because it imports the pool into the OMV database. It never hurts to click the import button either.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did find one or two issues with the ZFS plugin

#1 is not a plugin issue. That is OMV's monit.

#2 - did you import the pools? (just viewing the zfs plugin does that in the latest version). Not sure how to recreate this but I would prefer not to go through the zfs root install.

• Hi.

Can't import pool builded from disk, partition and file (file need for testing, in future it was disk).

I've got error

A Raidz1 must contain at least 3 disks

OMVModuleZFSException: A Raidz1 must contain at least 3 disks in /usr/share/omvzfs/Vdev.php:58

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/omvzfs/Zpool.php(646): OMVModuleZFSVdev->__construct('main', 2, Array)

#1 /usr/share/omvzfs/Zpool.php(529): OMVModuleZFSZpool->output('main', 'raidz1', 'sdf sdc1')

#2 /usr/share/omvzfs/Zpool.php(91): OMVModuleZFSZpool->assemblePool('main')

#3 /usr/share/omvzfs/Utils.php(275): OMVModuleZFSZpool->__construct('main')

#4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/zfs.inc(203): OMVModuleZFSUtil::getZFSFlatArray()

#5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceZFS->listPools(Array, Array)

#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('listPools', Array, Array)

#8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Zfs', 'listPools', Array, Array, 1)

#9 {main}

# zpool status main

pool: main

state: ONLINE

scan: resilvered 460K in 00:00:03 with 0 errors on Tue May 31 11:29:37 2022

config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM

main ONLINE 0 0 0

raidz1-0 ONLINE 0 0 0

sdf ONLINE 0 0 0

sdc1 ONLINE 0 0 0

/tmp/fake.img ONLINE 0 0 0

• You are in testing state? This is not a disk, but I don't know if this is the problem:

ls -lah /tmp/fake.img

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• it's testing, but as i know zfs pool can contain disk, partitions and files.

zpool and zfs woking fine with files,

Yes, but as you see, the plugin only checks for disks

Code
    #1 /usr/share/omvzfs/Zpool.php(529): OMVModuleZFSZpool->output('main', 'raidz1', 'sdf sdc1')

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

it's testing, but as i know zfs pool can contain disk, partitions and files.

zpool and zfs woking fine with files,

OMV's GUI and the ZFS plugin, are about convenience. The plugin does not (arguably should not) provide ALL ZFS functionality that is available on the command line.

If you want to set up a pool using a mixture of disks, partitions and / or files, the command line is an option.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!