[DONE] Let's make the OpenVPN plugin update for OMV 5 happen

• Hi,

I'd like to know what would be required to have an updated OpenVPN plugin for OMV 5? If anyone else is interested, perhaps we could fund the needed development together.

I can see there were a few commits here:
    https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…rs/openmediavault-openvpn

I don't see any updated versions in the plugins list after installing the extra plugins as indicated here. I've seen contradictory posts regarding progress on the update, or the new target being 0.6.

If anyone is willing and able to provide a formal estimate of costs and commit to a date to make this update happen, I am happy to fund the effort through one of my customers and organize fund raising from other interested parties.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My commit message of it being a mess is pretty accurate. I don't care for the design of the plugin and I don't use or know OpenVPN well enough to redesign it. There are just some things in it that are beyond my javascript skills.

Now that 0.6 is far enough along, I can tell you that anything done for 0.5 would probably work on 0.6. So, no problems there.

If you really want the plugin (I know plenty do), our mod subzeroin is capable. Don't bug him too much because he is a busy college student.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The design is actually pretty good Ryeco. The problems is it takes a good deal of time to understand OpenVPN. It is kind of complex and that fact that the plugin is not just used by the admin user.

dildano, this is in regards to an OpenVPN server. A client plugin would be really easy. It is pretty easy to setup a client without a plugin. The problem is right now plugins are being updated and bug checked for the new version of OMV and this is taking up a lot of time.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

The design is actually pretty good Ryeco.

By design, I meant the code. I've never used the interface. If subzeroin ported this plugin, the code would be much better.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• It is sloppy but I don't think it is bad. Ian probably did it fast and didn't take time to clean it up. I should say extJS 4.2 is much cleaner coding wise then the old version too.

• I've been documenting my move to OMV and I found a script that quickly installs/configures openvpn on debian (an openvpn server). You can see my documentation here: http://peterjolson.com/super-e…lconfig-on-openmediavault. In that post I talk about how to run the script... things to look out for... and how to setup your client (in windows) to connect to it.

Maybe you can rip something from that to use in a plugin (I did not create the script, so please give its author some props if you do use any of it. He is a very helpful guy). It works well so far, but I would much rather use a plugin.

• Zitat von "that0n3guy"

I've been documenting my move to OMV and I found a script that quickly installs/configures openvpn on debian (an openvpn server). You can see my documentation here: http://peterjolson.com/super-e…lconfig-on-openmediavault. In that post I talk about how to run the script... things to look out for... and how to setup your client (in windows) to connect to it.

Maybe you can rip something from that to use in a plugin (I did not create the script, so please give its author some props if you do use any of it. He is a very helpful guy). It works well so far, but I would much rather use a plugin.

That script is sweet. Thanks for posting !
    Setting up openvpn manually is such a pain in the butt.

• Zitat von "Sodden"

That script is sweet. Thanks for posting !
    Setting up openvpn manually is such a pain in the butt.

First of all GREAT JOB ¡Peter Olson!. Now I can migrate to 0.5.x OMV and still have my own secure cloud and secure access for all ip ports of my home . I followed the instructions into http://peterjolson.com/super-e…config-on-openmediavault/ on my Proxmox VE virtualized OMV0.5.42 and everything worked properly.

To minimize problems with controlled networks, it would be good to ask in the installation script for the type of protocol to use UDP or TCP when asking the port. (I had to edit both, client and server conf files)

To improve the classification of the client configuration files could be named as :
    server_name-ca.crt
    server_name-client_name.crt
    server_name-client_name.key
    server_name.conf

And .... for glory , security would be very increased on case of theft of equipment or loss of conection keys if client_name is also a user belongs to OpenVPN group of the server system. The client software when initiate the connection on remote would ask user and password into server OMV system. This method is used by the OpenVPN plugin OMV0.4x by the sentence "auth-user-pass" into file "server_name.conf" y la sentencia "auth-user-pass-verify via-env vpnpwauth.sh" in "server.conf" file server.

Thanks for everybody especially for Peter Olson. MANY THANKS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because of this script, the old openvpn plugin was not used in creating a new plugin. Look for it soon thanks to subzeroin :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It isn't as easy to use or install as the new plugin... :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you configure the server settings with it? Maybe we could install it with the plugin so you could have both.

• I believe they use different packages. Can you give me link to package that was used in the script?? The Server settings are piece of cake to setup. The only thing that would be a little work is the certs. For me it is worth it to set it up this way and I'm used to dealing with the certs from the old plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It installs easyrsa from openvpn's github - link

• Offizieller Beitrag

It installs the openvpn package... Is there another?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!