New tower and new install of OMV, existing drive not seen but new drives are...?

• So, I had one 2TB HDD for OMV and two 10TB HDDs for media. I had previously pooled those two 10TB drives using Union FS. The tower died and I got a new tower.

A fresh install of OMV is now installed on a new 120GB SSD (I could not get OMV to boot up on the existing 2TB HDD I previously had), I put my two existing 10TB HDDs in and also added two more 12TB HDDs in there.

Problem is, the tower no longer sees the two 10TB HDDs. I initially thought the SATA power connector was bad, but if I connect them to the 12TB drives, they still work fine. I do not even hear them or feel them spinning up when connected and boot the tower. I connected them to a HDD dock to my windows machine and they show up in CrystalDiskInfo as healthy drives.

What do I need to do to get these to show up? I do not want to lose the data on those two drives if at all possible.

The new tower is some custom built rig running an ASUS mobo (Z87-A).

Edit: I should say, all my digging has been within OMV, in terminal, I get the following with lsblk -f

SDA is the new SSD for the OMV install and SDB and SDC are the two new 12TB drives. <My 10TBs are no where to be found

• Highly likely your problem is the drives that won't spin up have the relatively new 3.3 volt on power cable pin 3 capability. This is is a disk on-off control by the power supply. If this voltage is improperly applied the drive will not spin up.

If the drive spins up in one machine, it isn't delivering the voltage to that pin. If it won't spin up in another machine, it's because the voltage is being applied and not properly being shut off.

The solution is to permanently interrupt voltage to pin 3. There are kludgy hacks that use plastic electrical tape to cover that pin on the drive. A better solution is to get a short SATA power extension cable and insert it between the drive and the power supply, then cut the orange wire that leads to pin 3. And another is way if you have molex four pin power plugs coming off your power supply you can connect them to SATA power cable converters and plug those to the drives. The four pin molex cable from the supply has no available 3.3v line so the drive never sees it.

Many, many YouTube videos about the problem out there.

Good luck.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Stuff about power...

So, in a round about way I kind of found this out, but then in a fit of rage I think I permanently damaged my PSU.

On a hunch, I connected one of the 10TB drives to the molex > SATA power converters being used for the SSD that mounted elsewhere in the case and thus could not use the native SATA power cables that were running to the side of the case for the HDDs. When connected to the converter, the drive spun up. BUT, in a fit of rage thinking it was a problem with the PSU, I fubar'd it.

So, it was a 650w supply, I am going to pick up an 80w tomorrow... That being said, it is weird you say the drives not spinning up have the newer PIN 3 power thing, but those are older drives, and they're all the same manf. (WD).

Anyways, will I have the same problem with a newer power supply? I think I will just pick up a few more of those molex > SATA power converters and run everything off those.

• Look at the SATA power cables coming off any P/S. If they have an orange wire on pin 3, that's the 3.3V line and it's likely you will have the same problem.

What do the SATA power cable connectors on your existing supplies look like? Compare the ones that work to those that don't.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The P/S in the old tower, I don't have any longer as I chucked it with the rest of the tower when it died. On the current P/S that came with this tower, the native SATA power connectors do have that orange wire. My molex > SATA-p do not have that extra wire and must be the reason why they got the drive to spin up
    . Just strange the newer WD drives don't seem to have a problem with the 3.3v pin.

Like I said though, the current P/S is now caput and I will be getting a new one tomorrow. I will check those connectors to see if and how many molex > SATA-p adapters I'll need, or if I'll just decide to clip that wire. Thanks for your help!

Look at the SATA power cables coming off any P/S. If they have an orange wire on pin 3, that's the 3.3V line and it's likely you will have the same problem.

What do the SATA power cable connectors on your existing supplies look like? Compare the ones that work to those that don't.

• Clip the wire at the half way point. If you ever need to reconnect it the pieces will be long enough to reach into a crimp on butt connector.

Some newer WD drives have the 3.3V pin capability. Seen most often on drives shucked out of those external USB drives, the Elements and My Book Desktop.

--

• You could also pick up some of these things. They don't provide power to pin 3. Nothing to cut and preserves the capability on the original power supply connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/TeamPro…vTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

These are perfect, thanks again for all your help. And yes, all four of these HDDs are shucked WD drives, but now also makes sense the newer drives worked on a newer PSU, so I likely wont need those connectors for the replacement PSU I pick up today.

• Actually, since this is the Storage forum, I'll add onto this... the previous 10TB drives were joined using Union FS. I imagine with the fresh install of OMV, those two drives will now again be seen as independent drives, but I imagine I can simply rejoin them in Union FS again once mounted without issue?

• Actually, since this is the Storage forum, I'll add onto this... the previous 10TB drives were joined using Union FS. I imagine with the fresh install of OMV, those two drives will now again be seen as independent drives, but I imagine I can simply rejoin them in Union FS again once mounted without issue?

Yes, that is correct. Just create the pool again in the mergerfs plugin.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!