OMV not behaving reliably at install

• This was supposed to be simple replacement of my DNS-323 and it is not going well.

After several attempts, that each failed in their own strange and magical ways I am giving it one last go with OMV.

The last install REFUSED to spin down the HDD's, spinning and clicking all the time. One attempt the OS updates just tossed errors.

Another time it just lost track of the raid. Another install found a raid/FS from a previous attempt, but couldn't do anything with it.

OMV feels like it has all the features, but the operation is unreliable. Help me love this software.

Build:
    I built my NAS from an Odroid HC4 with a pair of Barracuda Compute 8TB (ST8000DM004
    ) and industrial 16GB SD.

The PCB is removed from the original case and affixed to a 1U 19" shelf. The PS is 15V@4.33A, exceeding the 4A recommendation.

HDDs use right angle connector and Sata extension cables to sit along side the PCB.

Process this time to "start from scratch":

1. Followed a forum post to locate spiupdate_odroidhc4_20201222.img.xz

2. (Balena) Etched a SD with that file, booted holding the button to force SD boot, watched it program onboard flash to default state.

3. Conformed the system booted to petitboot without any SD installed.

4. Etched an SD with Armbian_21.08.6_Odroidhc4_bullseye_current_5.10.81.img.xz found here.

5. Booted holding the button to force SD boot, confirm OS install, setup users and configure region. Update OS with:

Code
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

6. Reboot without holding the button to boot into petitboot, "Exit to shell", to cause auto boot from SD card, I ran:

Code
    # flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
    # flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
    # flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
    # flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3

7. Reboot to SD card successful, following the install script page I ran

Code
    sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

8. Connecting to OMV by http succeeds, using "admin" account I "secure wipe" drives found at /dev/sda and /dev/sdb (both showing 7.28TiB), 2 days pass.

9. Create raid (/dev/md0, mirror) and allow to fully sync, 1 day passes.

Now we get to the problem this go-round...
    10. Create file system on device "/dev/md0" type 'EXT4' and start process. The sub-window appears in the browser and the FS building process starts.

(BTW this printout routine is buggy and stops using '\n' and runs off the left side of the screen above 10K)

I changed focus on the computer and began working on other things expecting this to take several hours.

At some point later, less than an hour, I return and OMV is back at the login screen.

Strange because in the 'secure wipe' dialog and Raid array sync progress stayed visible and page unlocked until complete.

Upon logging in, there is no file system in the list. Was it not created?

Trying to create a file system now, the drop down menu does not display "/dev/md0" as a device, even though it shows in the raid management list.

I pulled logs that weren't empty. I started the File system creation about 8-9am, I think.

What happened? Can I trust OMV with my data?

Is there some incompatibility with my drives (why they wont spin down)?

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

OMV feels like it has all the features, but the operation is unreliable. Help me love this software.

Many people use OMV in an Odroid. It works reliably for them. They love. Follow the recommended installation procedures and you will love it too.

Installing OMV5 on Raspberry PI's, Armbian SBC's, & i386 32-bit platforms

• FS building process starts.

(BTW this printout routine is buggy and stops using '\n' and runs off the left side of the screen above 10K)

As this is your first post I'm not sure if its obvious to you that OMV is just a user friendly interface to Debian supplied OS tools.

I.e. the root cause of printout routine's buggy behavior is very likely with the used OS tool.

Now to rule out OMV as the root cause Jeff Geerling's blog has excellent instructions on how to use the native OS tools to create a software RAID https://www.jeffgeerling.com/tags/mdadm .

I'd recommend to try them first before complaining about OMV.

If the issue is gone using above approach, I'd encourage filing a bug report to OMV (links are on https://www.openmediavault.org/ )

PS: with the many issues reported on this forum related to software RAID on SBCs, I chose the hardware RAID approach

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Armbian_21.08.6_Odroidhc4_bullseye

is Debian 11 and will only allow OMV 6 to be installed.

The OS is the reason I suggested to verify the unexpected behavior first with the OS supplied tools

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• I think I discovered what happened, and why the raid array was not available for creating a new file system.

The file system creation process started and completed and at some point.

The drive preparation was complete, but OMV never mounted it.

Using the create/mount button I was able to find and mount the EXT4 FS and move forward.

I also seem to have discovered the source to the HDD spin down problem from before. in this thread a user is asked to run hd-idle, but here were my initial results:

Code
    jesse@Blinky2:~$ sudo systemctl status hd-idle
    Command 'hd-idle' not found, but can be installed with:
    sudo apt install hd-idle

Is hd-idle supposed to be installed with the OMV setup script?

Adding the service and running "sudo systemctl status hd-idle" returns this now:

and returning this morning the drivers were cool to the touch and showed this:

Code
    jesse@Blinky2:~$ sudo hdparm -C /dev/sda
    [sudo] password for jesse:

/dev/sda:
     drive state is:  standby
    jesse@Blinky2:~$ sudo hdparm -C /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
     drive state is:  standby

when they are spinning the status is "active/idle"

After poking it some this morning (causing the drives to spin up) I can confirm they spun down in about the right length of time while being watched.

• The drive preparation was complete, but OMV never mounted it.

If my memory serves me well, mounting a drive is always a manual task.

beehphy As the root cause was found, I'd suggest to flag this flag with "resolved"

• beehphy

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • beehphy

Hat das Label OMV 6.x (RC1) hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!