OMV MAY NOT HAVE A DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT !!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you need a desktop environment at OMV, I have good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that you CANNOT install a desktop environment on debian OS with OMV. The good news is that this has an easy fix, read on.

For all those who need a desktop environment and insist on installing a desktop on their OMV system. Sorry to say that OMV is incompatible with a desktop environment installed on the host for many reasons, it will end up crashing, this has been repeated over and over again in this forum. If you do, do not ask for help in this forum, you will not get help. No help is possible. This is not a whim of the OMV developers.

BUT, there is an easy solution. You just have to install this docker container.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/webtop/

This container creates an image with a desktop environment that you can access from any browser. By default an image based on Alpine will be installed, very light but with certain limitations. If you need something more powerful use the ubuntu-xfce tag.

If you need to install any desktop application you can do it within this desktop. If you need to manage your OMV files, you just have to correctly configure the container volumes and you will have a graphical file manager.

This installation will not affect the operating system or OMV, you can use it without any problem, uninstall it, reinstall it ... Read the linuxserver documentation for its use, especially regarding security.

If you don't know how to install a docker container you can check here [How to] Prepare OMV to install docker applications

• Thanks. Everyone should be aware of this fact, so they do not run into the issues i am having. Unfortunately i did not know upfront!

I am happy to follow this path but am stuck not being able to move on with the upgrade.

Is there any way forward to use OMV for users that already have a desktop environment installed not knowing upfront that this is forbidden or a bad idea in OMV? More precisely: how could they get back to an environment that is supported and well working?

I can positively report that the webtop docker runs fine and is easy to get up.

• how could they get back to an environment that is supported

Uninstalling the desktop related packages mentioned in above pull request (PR) could achieve that.

Think I tried this about a year ago and was at least partially successful but had other issues too.

Hence your milage may vary but is certainly worth a trial. Please report back findings

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I can only state that upgrading from a 5.6.22-1 version worked for me but not from 5.6.23-1.

I uninstalled all packages related to desktop before but it never worked when going from 5.6.23-1.

Altough there was no error i could relate to this pull request here, it still might be.

If you need some CLI logs of these upgrade tries i can propbably dig them out.

• This is a good solution when you want to access your OMV with a desktop environment FROM a 2nd computer.

But if you want to use the computer hosting OMV , it is not possible with this setup.

I wish I could access my media files locally ... without need of another computer..... :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a good solution when you want to access your OMV with a desktop environment FROM a 2nd computer.

Are you saying you don't have a second computer?

But if you want to use the computer hosting OMV , it is not possible with this setup.

If you want to use the hosting computer for something else other than OMV, just run OMV as a VM.

I wish I could access my media files locally ... without need of another computer....

mplayer can play media files to the framebuffer. So, you don't technically need a desktop to do that. I don't understand why you need to access those files on the OMV system though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I wish I could access my media files locally ... without need of another computer.....

Then don't use OMV and just have a desktop OS installed with the drives attached to it and your wish is granted.

OMV is not a file browser, it's a file/services manager.

Or run OMV in a VM and use the rest of the computer with a desktop OS (if you have a powerfull hardware).

To many possibilities to name them all

• This is a good solution when you want to access your OMV with a desktop environment FROM a 2nd computer.

I wish I could access my media files locally ... without need of another computer..... :(

please google about what a "NAS" mean, NAS is not a Desktop PC that is clearly what you want.

• Are you saying you don't have a second computer?

If you want to use the hosting computer for something else other than OMV, just run OMV as a VM.

mplayer can play media files to the framebuffer. So, you don't technically need a desktop to do that. I don't understand why you need to access those files on the OMV system though.

No, I have other computers of course. but the one hosting OMV is in my bedroom, with a screen connected to it and I use it to watch movies before sleeping ;)

I did not know the mplayer tip, but I suspect that it is not so easy to browse media library thn with emby :s

anyway...I totally understand your No Desktop position! you're the dev team...you know what is good or what is bad for your product!

My concern was just to find a solution to switch from my working OMV5 install (with some personnal uses) to a future OMV6 setup.

Concerning OMV inside a VM, I started thinking about it but , I'm a bit worried about my RAID volumes.... will they be managed the same way from a VM? is it risky ?

thank you !!

• Offizieller Beitrag

with a screen connected to it and I use it to watch movies before sleeping ;)

Move the OMV box out of your bedroom and put an RPi there running kodi/libreelec/openelec.

will they be managed the same way from a VM? is it risky ?

Depends on the setup. If you pass the drives through to the VM, OMV shouldn't know any difference.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• please google about what a "NAS" mean, NAS is not a Desktop PC that is clearly what you want.

I know the definition, and I know I have a hybrid use of my PC.

I am aware that this use will not be possible anymore with OMV6 ... it's not a big deal, I justed wanted to know if simple workarounds (not something that breaks the system) were existing...

• Move the OMV box out of your bedroom and put an RPi there running kodi/libreelec/openelec.

Depends on the setup. If you pass the drives through to the VM, OMV shouldn't know any difference.

The RPI solution was already in the short list!! you're right!

I will think about the VM!

Anyway, thank you for your job! despite these points, I really enjoy your work!! ;)

• I am aware that this use will not be possible anymore with OMV6 ... it's not a big deal, I justed wanted to know if simple workarounds (not something that breaks the system) were existing...

Simplified answer... No, No and no.

But..................................... if you sign a pact with the devil and with your own blood you sign a declaration that you will never you won't look for help in case of any problems, then close the doors and window curtains and do whatever you want with your box. :)

You can even do rm -rf if you wish...

• I've recently learned that OMV6 can no longer coexist with a graphic environment.

OMV and graphical UI in a container can certainly coexist. This "coexistence" is detailed in original post.

The meaning/definition of "installed together" and "coexistence" differ widely. Could you please specify the definition of what "coexistence" means to you?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• OMV and graphical UI in a container can certainly coexist. This "coexistence" is detailed in original post.

The meaning/definition of "installed together" and "coexistence" differ widely. Could you please specify the definition of what "coexistence" means to you?

Zitat

I've recently learned that OMV6 can no longer coexist with a graphic environment.

The words quoted do not belong to me.

I'm talking about installing the desktop environment directly on the OS not in a container or vm. As for what I can personally say on this topic. I did comment on that thread... but eventually I withdrew from publicly publishing a solution that allows OMV6 to be installed on debian which has a pre-prepared desktop environment.

What does this mean... it means that from the purely technical point of view, it is possible to force the system to have both a desktop and an OMV6 installed at the same time.

However, it is VERY IMPORTANT, it is absolutely forbidden and not recommended approach to the matter and the OMV team does not want to see these solutions so much that finally, this blockade was introduced.

The reasons are clear why officially desktop and omv are considered great evil. It is simply a very risky mix that gets into conflict in the system and creates technical problems. And OMV does not want to solve the problems that can be simply avoided by banning the desktop from omv.

So if someone decides to break the desktop + OMV rule, let them remember that they won't get any help on this forum!
    And it does not even make sense for such a person to write a post, because it will be ordinary spam...

I am committed to the principle that your computer is your property, so you have the right to do whatever you want with it. But if you decide to break the official rules, don't bother others. And OMV has every right to decide that it doesn't support desktop + omv and that's their right too!

For this I wrote jokingly and sarcastically to close the door and cover the window... in private isolation you can do whatever you want with your computer and install OMV. But if any problem arises, don't look for help here!

I hope I have expressed myself quite clearly. ;)

• I wrote jokingly and sarcastically

Thanks for clarification.

unfortunately translations for non-English native speakers don't convey this intent good enough to be understood

• I can only state that upgrading from a 5.6.22-1 version worked for me but not from 5.6.23-1.

I uninstalled all packages related to desktop before but it never worked when going from 5.6.23-1.

Altough there was no error i could relate to this pull request here, it still might be.

If you need some CLI logs of these upgrade tries i can propbably dig them out.

Can you list the package that you installed from 5.6.22 before to upgrade to 6.x version?

• "packages" are applications installed via a package manager like apt.

To list all packages run below command via a command shell

Code
    home$ sudo apt list --installed
    Listing... Done
    accountsservice/focal-updates,focal-security,now 0.6.55-0ubuntu12~20.04.5 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    acl/focal,now 2.2.53-6 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    acpi-support/focal,now 0.143 amd64 [installed,automatic]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!