Which version for fresh install? How close is OMV6 from being stable?

• I may soon (within a month or less) need to make a fresh install of OMV for a small company and I'm trying to decide if I should still go with OMV5 and upgrade later to OMV6, or just jump straight to OMV6.

Hardware setup is just a standard x86 machine (fairly old, so any kernel 5.x will work) with 1 SSD for OS and 2 HDDs for data (software RAID1 or equivalent).

Software wise, I'd like to add a few extra things such as:

• wireguard for VPN server
    • possibly openLDAP or similar for managing user accounts and authentication
    • host some php/mysql websites
    • nuts plugin for UPS
    • run some VMs (QEMU/KVM)

I'm an experienced Debian, so setting up those things isn't not a problem (I actually already have all those working fine on my home NAS (OMV5), except openldap, which I never tried).

I'm just wondering whether it's better to just jump straight to OMV6 (what release critical bugs are preventing the official stable release?), or play safe with OMV5 and go through the upgrade process later...

I've upgraded many debian boxes before in my life, but my home NAS is my only experience with OMV and it's still in the initial install of OMV5, so not sure if upgrading to OMV6 would be as smooth as upgrading a normal debian machine, or if can cause some stress...

If OMV6 is close to release and doesn't have any "critical" issues, I'd probably prefer to just start fresh from OMV6 and save the trouble (and time) of upgrading in a few months...

Any thoughts?

TIA

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some may be thinking about their answer to this question. But I think nobody will tell you in writing to install OMV6 in a case like this ... What would you say if someone asked you this?

• I would never put beta software in a Production environment for a business. At my home -- where if something doesn't work for a while no one is there to yell at me -- well that is a different story.

I guess the only exception would be if that beta software fixed a critical issue I was seeing with no work around.

• I would never put beta software in a Production environment for a business. At my home -- where if something doesn't work for a while no one is there to yell at me -- well that is a different story.

I guess the only exception would be if that beta software fixed a critical issue I was seeing with no work around.

You would be an excellent candidate to have a multiboot setup that has both OMV 5 and OMV 6 available as choices during machine bootup. I run this way, but only very,very, rarely boot to OMV 5 anymore. All it cost me was to have another USB thumb drive and the time to make it work.

Have you considered this?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thank you all for the replies!

ome may be thinking about their answer to this question. But I think nobody will tell you in writing to install OMV6 in a case like this ... What would you say if someone asked you this?

I would never put beta software in a Production environment for a business.

In general I'd agree that for production one should always go with stable.

That said, I've recently installed Debian testing (bullseye) in a production server. That was just shortly before it became stable. It had been in freeze for several month and I went through the Release-Critical bugs that were holding back the stable release and none was relevant for my intended setup, so I felt confident to install a "testing" release. That saved me from upgrading it a month later and provided a newer PHP version, which I needed.

I don't regret that decision.

In that particular case I knew where to look for RC bugs and what to expect. When it comes to OMV, I'm not so sure... I had a look at open issues with OMV6 tag in OMV's github and I didn't see anything that would particularly raise a red flag for me, but I'm not so familiar with OMV, nor so sure that's the right place to look for this kind of info and if the issues reported there tell the whole story... that's why I asked...

Perhaps my question should have been... What RC bugs are holding OMV6 back from being released as stable?

And my other doubt is... Is upgrading OMV to a new major version as smooth as upgrading (vanilla) Debian?

• And my other doubt is... Is upgrading OMV to a new major version as smooth as upgrading (vanilla) Debian?

It can be. But having problems is not at all unusual. So far I gone from 2> 3> 4> 5> 6. The last was problematic enough to prevent continued use but turned out to be easily solved once it got in front of the right eyes. So I was able to get there in quick order.

If you have a known, good, and verified to be restorable backup of your current OMV, you will be able to get back to where you were and try the upgrade again. Or stay there for a while and try again later if you get suggestions about the solution to your problems.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!